Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    So I have just activated an unlocked Pre 2 using a TELUS SIM card, created a new Palm Profile, and everything is working fine except the app catalog seems to be missing a few paid apps. Most noticeably Angry Birds is no where to be found. Lots of paid apps are showing including all of Gameloft's games and I can buy them. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Try calling palm or chat with one of their customer support reps, they should be able to fix this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by marclh1992; 05/06/2011 at 06:47 AM.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Just chatted with them. They have escalated my issue to Palm technical support and are going to get back to me regarding it.
    They did that for me when Bell's HSPA network got no paid apps at all (yes I know Bell and Telus have the same HSPA network). the issue should be fixed soon-ish...
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    How long did it take them to get back to you?
    Bell did have the same problem, but they later fixed it. If you initially had it activated on rogers then you should have the paid apps.
    They got back to me fairly quickly, I think it was the day I specified or the day after...

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Well they seem to have done something, now I don't have any paid apps at all. I'll wait until Monday evening and then contact them again.

Did they email you after they fixed this issue?
    Nope, one day I just had paid apps access.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    My Pre 2 was unlocked from HP so it has never been activated on the Rogers network.

I received a call from Palm basically telling me that developers of each paid application are given the option of which carriers they would like to sell their apps on. Why on earth you wouldn't want to sell on as many as possible is beyond me. They suggested that I contact the developers and see what they can do for me.

The only suggestion they had for why I now have no paid apps at all is to perform a doctor on the phone. I'll give that a try when I get home and see what happens.

I'm trying to get some info from developers on the Palm dev forums as to if they are even actually given the option to sell to Telus phones. Like I said above I can't think of any reason why a developer would not want to sell to users on all carriers.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Well I have confirmation that developers are not given the option as to which carriers their apps are sold on.

It would appear the first time I used this UNLOCKED phone it was LOCKED OUT of getting paid application support until Palm decides I deserve it. Even if I put an activated SIM from one of the supported carries in the phone it will not receive full access to the market. Palm is literally locking out phones by their serial numbers not the current SIM. You want a good reason for why people are moving away from your platform instead of moving towards it? This is one of them.

Because of this issue I am seriously thinking of halting development on my current webOS applications. Right now I have lots of doubts as to how well/if Palm will actually distribute my applications. I have also stopped recommending webOS hardware to friends and family.
    I believe that HP is taking the steps to remove paid apps restrictions for all countries.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Well let's hope so.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Well as of this morning I have no access to paid applications at all. So it would seem that Palm has the ability to correct these kinds of issues within hours of hearing of them but are not capable of allowing people with unlocked phones not on Rogers or Bell to buy apps.

Carrier restricting paid application access in a supported country is the dumbest marketing limitation that I have ever encountered.
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am in the same boat, with a new Unlocked North America Pre 2 that I am trying to use with my Telus sim card. I have went through Levels 1, 2, 1nd 3 of Palm/HP support, and am now waiting for Level 4 Engineering to get back to me regarding this.

I have no access to any paid apps. The first attempt to activate the factory sealed Pre 2 was with my Telus sim card, it was not an unlocked Rogers phone.

Has anyone successfully used a Pre 2 with access to paid apps on the Telus HSPA network?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dthacker View Post
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am in the same boat, with a new Unlocked North America Pre 2 that I am trying to use with my Telus sim card. I have went through Levels 1, 2, 1nd 3 of Palm/HP support, and am now waiting for Level 4 Engineering to get back to me regarding this.

I have no access to any paid apps. The first attempt to activate the factory sealed Pre 2 was with my Telus sim card, it was not an unlocked Rogers phone.

Has anyone successfully used a Pre 2 with access to paid apps on the Telus HSPA network?
    Unfortunately no, the phones serial number is locked out server side by HP. This is set the first time you sign into your Palm Profile from the phone so no matter how many device resets you do it will never work. It won't even work if you put a Bell or Rogers SIM card in the phone.

I happen to have a Pre 2 that was first activated using a Rogers SIM card and it has full paid application access while running with a Telus SIM. It all depends on what SIM you had in the phone the first time you signed into your Palm Profile.
    Crumb, that is seriously bad news

I do actually have a couple Rogers SIMs I could have used, had I known what would happen. I guess I will try full erase, then create new profile with Rogers SIM card and see what happens. Don't have anything to lose really.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Crumb, that is seriously bad news

I do actually have a couple Rogers SIMs I could have used, had I known what would happen. I guess I will try full erase, then create new profile with Rogers SIM card and see what happens. Don't have anything to lose really.
    Feel free to try for yourself but it won't work. I tried everything and everyone I talked to at Palm/HP support seemed to have no idea what was happening. The community figured it out and has been complaining about it for months on the developer forums. Hard locking phones server side is just dumb.

In the end my only solution was to get a new Pre 2 and activate it with a Rogers SIM for the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by H0g4n View Post
    Feel free to try for yourself but it won't work. I tried everything and everyone I talked to at Palm/HP support seemed to have no idea what was happening. The community figured it out and has been complaining about it for months on the developer forums. Hard locking phones server side is just dumb.

In the end my only solution was to get a new Pre 2 and activate it with a Rogers SIM for the first time.
    Halleluja! It just magically started working today :-) I now have access to paid apps on my Pre2 with the Telus SIM. Beauty! I had pretty much given up.

Now... I am very tempted to do a hard erase on my Pre2 so I can log in with the same webOS account as on my multiple Touchpads. I had tried several new webOS accounts with HP support, and ended up just leaving it on this one a month ago. Would really like to have them on the same account so I can share some apps, especially the Kalemsoft Video Player which I already paid $7 for on the Touchpad.

Yay!
    I just got an unlocked (AT&T) Pre3 and have had no success getting it working on Telus. I get to the point of entering the account but it can't sign in due to low coverage (which isn't the case). Telus of course can't help. How did you get your Pre2 going...any suggesttions/tips? Thanks

Graham

Halleluja! It just magically started working today :-) I now have access to paid apps on my Pre2 with the Telus SIM. Beauty! I had pretty much given up.

Now... I am very tempted to do a hard erase on my Pre2 so I can log in with the same webOS account as on my multiple Touchpads. I had tried several new webOS accounts with HP support, and ended up just leaving it on this one a month ago. Would really like to have them on the same account so I can share some apps, especially the Kalemsoft Video Player which I already paid $7 for on the Touchpad.

Yay!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast