Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    anyway to get recovery mode if volume switch is broken on palm pre 2?
    try this:
    If you can get to the keypad try ##USBBYPASS# and make sure the USB port isnt in diag mode.

i think that was the hashcode.

also Option (Orange/Silver Square button beside "Z") + Sym + U
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    am i suppose to do this while its in plug to the computer or when its out?
    If it's not plugged in, when you do it, you should see a giant USB symbol, then plug it in to your PC and, I'm not sure what you're trying to do, doctor, move files....?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    im trying to doctor it...but nothing seems to be working
  6.    #6  
    let me remind u im at the activation screen ....so does that make a difference?
    Ok so make sure your phone isn't plugged in. Put your phone in USB mode using one of the two methods above, when you see the giant USB symbol, you know it worked.

Run the doctor, when it asks you to plug your phone in, then do so, but not before. Then it should work for you.

It's a good idea to sit there with your phone and watch the whole process, in case it stalls. Then you know where it was when it stalled, and there are various explanations in the webOS Internals wiki describing the issues:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._grayed_out.21
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    let me remind u im at the activation screen ....so does that make a difference?
    You mean the blue sky and clouds? that I'm not sure....but try it anyway and see if it works. You may have to continue on past the activation screen and then once your phone loads to a "normal" screen, doctor
  9.    #9  
    nope still no luck i get webos doctor to be able to start but stops at 4% and pre 2 just reboots than
    From the wiki:

The process usually proceeds as follows:

(If you're on a Mac, you can follow the progress in /var/log/system.log, on a PC the log is in your personal temporary files area)

WebOS Doctor begins
    At 3%, a ramdisk is transferred to the phone, and the phone is rebooted
    At 4%, the screen changes to the palm logo
    At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit
    Novaterm access is available from 12% onwards
    The progress bar advances by 2% increments every 20 seconds or so
    If it gets stuck at 52% for more than 30 seconds, it's not going to progress further and you will need to try again.
    Around 54% the filesystems are being partitioned
    Around 64% the modem firmware is being reflashed
    Around 72% the carrier apps are being installed
    Around 82% the ROM is being verified

It appears at 4% the screen should change to the Palm logo.

What happens on your PC at that point? Does it look like it's still running or does it shut off?
  11.    #11  
    its still running but my phones is booted back up to activation screen... so no luck
    Well, I'm not sure, aside from letting it sit for a bit and see if it proceeds. Any reason why you can't get past activation and then try this whole process over again?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    its still running but my phones is booted back up to activation screen... so no luck
    Ummmm... did it ask you for "English" first? If so then that's normal and you proceed to sign in with your profile.
  14.    #14  
    yes it does.. but the problem is my phone cant activate and it wont let me get any further than activation screen
    Out of my hands sorry.....you'll have to go further up the chain than what I know. Good luck, I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you out further.

You said it can't activate, is it tied to a network? Or are you just trying to use this as a wifi only device?

What does it say when you try to activate it? Provide as much info as you can. Is it an unlocked Pre2 or from a specific carrier?

Just shots in the dark, but the more info you provide, the better someone can help you with it.
  16.    #16  
    welll let me explain sorry for not giving the whole story .. i got it from someone who made it into a sprint pre 2, but when they gave it to me they just replaced the verizon comm board and never put the verizon version of webos on it. so i cant activate and im thinking if i can restore it with a verizon webos i can activate it?> but i cant get into usb mode becasue of the volume rocker not working. and im stuck at the activation screen.
    Yes that's way out of my hands.....not sure who you'd talk to, probably someone in webOS Internals for that one.
    Normally you don't have to do the up arrow to make a doctor work per this site:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

The up volume is an added step that is not always required.

After the download is complete, launch webOS Doctor:

1.Select you language
    2.Accept the license agreement
    3.Connect your Pre to you PC via USB and select "Next" when it becomes available
    After completion the device will reboot and present you with the activation set-up.

If your PC does not recognize your Pre and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:

1.With the USB cable connected, completely power off the Pre (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
    2.Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
    3.While holding the Up button, power on the Pre
    4."Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery
    The above steps will put the Pre into bootloader recovery mode and should allow the PC to recognize your device and proceed with the restore. In this mode the screen will display a giant USB logo instead of the usual Palm startup logo.

19.    #19  
    it never goes past 4 percent and the phone just restarts...thanks for all your help guys...but still seems like no luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Normally you don't have to do the up arrow to make a doctor work per this site:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

The up volume is an added step that is not always required.
    With webOS 2.x you must be in recovery mode to Dr.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast