Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all.

I have a Pre Plus with 2.1. I just got a GSM Pre 2 (Thank you HP!), and I'm working out a trade for a CDMA Pre 2 with another member of these forums (Thank you PreCentral!).

I have a few questions, and I need to start planning now, possibly devise a game plan, on how I'm going to migrate.

I have two major concerns:
    Pre Plus with 2.1.0, moving to Pre 2 with 2.0.1

1. Will my Palm Profile log in successfully, without deleting any backups or doctoring my Pre Plus back to 1.4.5?
    2. If my Palm Profile logs in successfully, will everything (i.e. text messages, launcher pages, etc) be restored?

These are my two biggest issues. I don't want to meta-doctor the Pre 2 to 2.1.0, because I suspect that the VZW Pre 2 shall be receiving the 2.1 update (or 2.2, or 2.3) fairly soon, and I'm willing to wait to avoid any continuity issues that may arise from a meta-doctored Pre 2.

Things I want to plan beforehand:

1. Save/Restore App, most important: Koto Player (not sure if supported in Save/Restore)
    2. Bookmarks, Memos - Should be saved with Palm Profile, if not will need to backup manually
    3. Patches & Themes - Is there any way to save a 'list' of installed themes, and transfer to computer? Or even better, does Preware have a feature to install this 'list' of themes?
    4. Contacts - Mostly facebook contacts and alias's. Some are manual contacts and linked profiles.. if these are not transferred with Palm Profile, I want to ensure they are backed up.

Most of these things are not big deals if I lose the data. However, I would like to make things as easy as possible for myself, and anyone else who takes the same upgrade path as I do.

If I can think of anything else I will need to do, I will post updates here. Also, if anyone else can remind me of a glaring issue, please do so!

I would also like to know the differences I may experience from 2.1 ==> 2.0.1.

One last (major) question:

• I assume that once I log into my Palm Profile on the Pre 2 that I will immediately be logged out of my profile on the Pre Plus. Does this mean that all of my profile data on the Pre Plus will be unavailable? This would mean that I definitely need to back up everything before I switch.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

You really should just do the comboard swap. I did it and now I have my perfectly fine Verizon Franken Pre 2. If it makes you feel any more confident I'm 17.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    You really should just do the comboard swap. I did it and now I have my perfectly fine Verizon Franken Pre 2. If it makes you feel any more confident I'm 17.
    It's fine, I've already made plans to trade for a brand new CDMA, with someone who was looking for a brand new GSM. Ships out tonight, hopefully receiving tomorrow or Thursday. =)

It works out perfect for both of us.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    It's fine, I've already made plans to trade for a brand new CDMA, with someone who was looking for a brand new GSM. Ships out tonight, hopefully receiving tomorrow or Thursday. =)

It works out perfect for both of us.
    And it keeps both warranties intact in theory.
    The answer to your questions 1 and 2 are yes to both. However, when I did this, I seemed to have trouble with the text messages. Yes, they copied over, but I could not get a new message to send with the copied sms thread. So, I deleted the threads and started fresh with new text messages and that worked good.

For Preware, update the Saved Package list in menu, then use Save and Restore to backup all your data that Save and Restore will back up. You will then need to reload Preware on the new phone, do a saved package update, then download Save and Restore and you can restore the old saved package list. You may have to open some programs to get Save and Restore to restore the databases. Overall, WebOS 2 does a very good job of saving and restoring your stuff, including memos, bookmarks, etc.

I would suggest that you consider doing a meta-doctor to 2.1 for your Verizon Pre 2. You can read about how I did it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...1-verizon.html

Just as easy as the meta-doctor from 1.4.5 to 2.1 . You won't keep Skype, but you will have flash. I don't agree that Verizon will be getting 2.1 soon, or even 2.2 or 2.3 in the near future. Verizon just doesn't seem to be too interested in supporting HP devices.

I will say that you will love the Pre 2. It is a significant upgrade to the Pre Plus and there is no comparison between the Pre Plus with 2.1 and the Pre 2. The battery life is SO much better. Really unbelievable for a device that is running twice the speed of the stock Pre Plus. Using the stock battery with the Pre 2 yesterday, I had 40% left after 8 hours of moderate, steady use.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed to know. I'm very glad to hear that I made a good decision in meta-doctoring my Pre Plus.. even though I had no idea what I was doing at the time! :P

New phone should be arriving tomorrow in the mail. Very, very excited! Will post impressions afterwards!

Just swapped someone over from vzw preplus 2.1 to Pre2 2.01.

I followed the instructions from today's frontpage article on backing up.

Call history seemed to transfer but only 1 or 2 texts also transferred, it seems like he lost most of his text history but am not sure.

Not all apps transferred--ie Preset Reset and Internalz, I can't remember how they were originally installed.

Email, calendar was fine. Other apps seemed to be fine.

Preware was a beast to install as WOSQI did not recognize the Pre2 (it did recognize the PrePlus). I installed 2.01 SDK (uninstalled whatever SDK I already had on my Mac) and used the standalone Preware installer and updated the drivers on the menu (see WebOS Internals wiki) for this.

Would have been an OK experience if not for the Preware problem.

I left his old PrePlus on airplane mode, told him to use the Pre2 this week and see if he likes it better.

All-in-all, an experience like this is making me weary of the fragmentation and tired of the long time it is taking HP to bring new products to the carriers. I am somewhat sympathetic to their reboot upon acquisition but dislike the fact that my friend may have to wait months for VZW to debut the Pre3 in order to get an update to 2.01 for the Pre2 (that is assuming ATT gets the Pre3 this summer and VZW follows 3 months or so later)
  8.    #8  
    Okay, awesome. Sounds like all the big things were transferred over. Just to be sure, contacts were transferred as well? Linked contacts, manual contacts, favorites and all?

I noticed the FP article after I posted this thread. Man, the guys on this site write some killer articles. I'd be hard pressed to find that information elsewhere.

From the sounds of things, this should be the least painfull experience I will have had since the "2.1.0 on legacy devices" thread. =p

FedEx delivery date: May 4th.. that's today =D

You contacts are all saved whereever you keep them. Most will be saved in your default contact account, which you can see by looking at your Accounts under Contacts. If they are Palm, they come back with your Palm profile. If they are Google or Yahoo or Facebook, they come back when you login to those accounts. Yes, 2.0 does a great job of backing up your data.
    pictures dont transfer over. for some reason i thought all the saved pictures backed themselves up in the cloud too, but alas that is not the case. I was heartbroken to find this out after i had wiped my previous device and handed it down to my little sister. :/ its not the end of the world but it was pretty upsetting, so keep that in mind if you haven't backed those up yet.
  11.    #11  
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh YEAAAAAAAAH!

Just got it, just activated it, profile signed in just like you all said.. early impressions is this phone is FAST!

Like, super fast! It's like the Pre on steroids!

sweeeet!
    You know what I really like? I don't have to mess around with overclocking it, which means my battery life is really good. Give it a few days to get the battery up to fully capacity, and you will be shocked how much better it is than the Pre+.
    Thanks for this post. I am activating my new vzw pre2 as I type. I will be searching the forums for more about my new toy. Its a given that the vzw update will be slow, my android phone is still waiting for an update promised in November.
  15.    #15  
    Moving from 2.1 ==> 2.0.1 did not restore all of my text messages, none of my favorites, none of my call history, none of my sent emails, and none of my custom contacts. Just for anybody curious, make sure you have this information somewhere else! Also backup your entire USB drive partition, and use the Save/Restore app as well.

That being said, it was far less painful than going from 1.4.5 ==> 2.1.0 on the Pre+.

Moving from 1.4.5 Pre+ ==> 2.0.1 Pre 2 may produce different results.

Also, this phone is FAST!

Friend's pre2 phone lasted from wed to mid fri, then the dreaded email icon on top bar started to spin wildly crazy in a way i've never seen before and he could not get or send emails.
    Poor guy, he was distraught and frazzled with the 4 prepluses he returned in a year and now this. In hindsight I should not have recommended this phone a year ago to replace his treo as he is a power user and not a techie.

Who knew a year ago Palm would mess up so bad? Wish I had "thought beyond."

He finally called me after another long trip to vzw store which is who a normal user who go to for a repair (they spent 2 hours and could not help him, he called me when they proposed wiping the phone as a last resort).

I took off the email account and put it back on as IMAP--no go, tried a few other things as well.

Finally stumbled on a script in the forums that metadoctors to 2.1 so I gave him 2.1. (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...verizon-3.html)
    Looked on the wiki and they had a script also for vzw frankenpre2 but that one was "incompatible."

He no longer has the hotspot but vzw turned that off anyway and the store supposedly turned it back on but it did not work so he was fine with an "alternate solution" I proposed.

Phone works great snappy, finally...what a smartphone should look like.

Hope it lasts.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/08/2011 at 08:00 PM.
    I just got my Pre 2 (VZW) in and it keeps failing to log into my profile. I'm upgrading from a Pixi Plus on 1.4.5, so I wasn't anticipating any trouble in getting online. I'm currently doing a secure full erase on my Pixi. Do I have to wait for it to go thorough before I'm able to log into my Pre 2?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I just got my Pre 2 (VZW) in and it keeps failing to log into my profile. I'm upgrading from a Pixi Plus on 1.4.5, so I wasn't anticipating any trouble in getting online. I'm currently doing a secure full erase on my Pixi. Do I have to wait for it to go thorough before I'm able to log into my Pre 2?
    I'm 99% sure all you had to do was turn off your Pixi..

The easiest way to do it would be to activate the Pre 2 before logging in. Tap on the emergency call in the corner and dial *228, then press 1 and follow the instructions. If you don't have your billing account password then it will forward you to a rep. Then after it's activated, with your Pixi off, log in as you normally would.

I might give that a shot if all else fails. I also logged into my profile at palm.com and see that I have the option of removing the Pixi from my profile. But if I do that would I end up losing my apps and stuff?
  20.    #20  
    You won't lose your apps no matter what you do. The backup is stored on the servers.

If you leave yourself logged into the Pixi, and do what I said and turn it off then login to the Pre 2, you can stay logged into the Pixi on your default profile until you turn on Wifi. As soon as you turn Wifi on you get booted from your profile, and from there you have to use the palm bypass first use app to turn on dev mode. After you reboot the Pixi, setup your wifi, go into Preware and download the show first use patch. Then run the gesture tutorial and you can create a new profile and use the Pixi as a spare MP3 player...

You will get all your apps and everything that's stored from the 1.4.5 backup on your Pre 2, no problemo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast