1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My Pre2 will be delivered today but can anyone help me out on how I can migrate from my Pre to Pre2 and ensure I don't bork either device, and also wondering what happens to my old Pre if I want to keep it active?

I have an O2 UK Pre, still network locked but running on GiffGaff SIM (uses O2 network so GSM unlock not required) and I no longer have access to an active O2 SIM.

1) If I activate the Pre2 with the GiffGaff SIM will I get full app catalog access, or do I need to find an O2 SIM to use for activation?

2) If when I activate I choose to use my existing Palm profile do I get all my apps and data automatically from my Pre?

3) If I use my existing Palm profile, what happens if I then want to carry on using my old Pre too? Do I need two Palm profiles for this or will a single profile support multiple devices?

Anyone else been through this? Any gotchas or best way to do it?

Thanks
    C
    1) No idea. If you can get your hands on a O2 sim then thats probably easiest and safest. There are other ways to do it. Search the forums some more.

2) Yes, All your apps will be automatically updated if they are still available in the catalog. I got got caught out after a WebOs Doctor and lost my free(for a limited period) version of Need for Speed. Personally, I erased my old device first to free my profile for the Pre2. Not sure if this is a necessary step or not.

3) The easiest way is to create a second profile.

Hope you enjoy the Pre2.
    1) No idea. If you can get your hands on a O2 sim then thats probably easiest and safest. There are other ways to do it. Search the forums some more.

2) Yes, All your apps will be automatically updated if they are still available in the catalog. I got got caught out after a WebOs Doctor and lost my free(for a limited period) version of Need for Speed. Personally, I erased my old device first to free my profile for the Pre2. Not sure if this is a necessary step or not.

3) The easiest way is to create a second profile.

Hope you enjoy the Pre2.
    1) Giff gaff sim is fine. Pre 2 is completely unlocked.

2)All your apps, email, calenders will re-sync but your app data will not. You will need to use save/restore if you want to carry your app data to your new device.

3)Depends what you want to use your pre for, if just as an mp3, simply turn your data and wifi off and then it won't auto erase when you come to sign into your new pre 2.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks folks,

So, if I want to keep using my Pre with the existing apps then I need to create a new Palm profile for my Pre2, right?

If I understand right this means there is no way to keep all my apps on my existing Pre *and* take them all onto my Pre2 with me?

Thats a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    Thanks folks,

So, if I want to keep using my Pre with the existing apps then I need to create a new Palm profile for my Pre2, right?

If I understand right this means there is no way to keep all my apps on my existing Pre *and* take them all onto my Pre2 with me?

Thats a bummer.
    The paid apps are licensed for a single device at a time.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    The paid apps are licensed for a single device at a time.
    Interesting. I presume that will have to change somehow once HP roll out their entire ecosystem of devices and services.

Guess I'll do my bit to support the app developers and buy the apps I want over again and create a new palm profile
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    Interesting. I presume that will have to change somehow once HP roll out their entire ecosystem of devices and services.

Guess I'll do my bit to support the app developers and buy the apps I want over again and create a new palm profile
    I might be wrong and the wording might be "for a single profile at a time" in which case the new ecosystem is at home and happy since it is supposed to allow the same profile on multiple devices at least in the case of things like TTS (pre3 and Touchpad for example).