Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I used to have the extended battery but with mode switcher, my data on demand mode, and changing the wifi preferences to go to sleep when not needed and my stock battery will last all day.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Good idea. I'll have to try to those options.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<Post deleted>>
    We're not going to allow these interrogation posts.
    Someone doesn't like Android or iOS. They don't need to justify or explain with particulars why.
    We're done allowing these fruitless debates in our forums.
    If you really love Android and iOS that much, it seems strange to spend your energy hanging out in a webOS forum trying to convince others of these OS' superiority over webOS.
    FINALLY and Thank You!!
  3.    #23  
    If you have had a Pre 2 and a Pre Plus, can you tell me about the touch screen responsiveness comparatively?

I have been watching videos on the Pre 2 and Pre Plus and it seems like the Pre 2 touch screen is very sensitive and very responsive- just about as responsive as an iPhone (have to admit it, they have the best touch screen)

How true is this?
    Switched from an original Pre to a Sprint Pre 2 for about 3 months and last month switched to the HTC Arrive (WP7). Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful OS, but MAAAAAN do I miss webOS. Sorry Microsoft, but this OS doesn't hold a candle to webOS.

The one thing that's keeping me from going back though is the Pre2 hardware. HTC hardware compared to HP/Palm is actually a HUGE deal. Yeah the Pre2 has gorilla glass, but it's a little too small for me now and 320x480 is nowhere near good enough when you're used to 480x800.

Sad to say I'm not going to be returning to using webOS as my primary device until the Pre3 either hits Sprint or that slate device does. Actually I'll probably end up cancelling and heading to AT&T or Verizon when they come out. If it doesn't have LTE or some form of "4G" though I'm going to consider heading to something that does (which hopefully will be something other than Android).

edit: One thing I don't miss though is the lack of quality apps like Shazam or Netflix. I have them both on my Arrive and Netflix HAS to come to webOS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    On Facebook, I recently asked my techie friends (I'm in IT) to list awesome tech that didn't ever get widely adopted, for whatever reason. BeOS is my first candidate, and others weighed in: betamax, Amiga, and almost Apple..
    Ahh. BeOS and it's "pervasive multithreading", good stuff. I would also add OS/2 to that list. In it's day it was way ahead of anybody else. In fact i think OS/2 was the first major multithreading OS.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    I just wanted to know what was so bad about the iphone? I am guessing it's just the feeling of jumping in and out of apps.

I just set up my old sprint pixi plus for a friend who never gave palm a chance but now has too because her blackberry broke. She's loving the simplicity and the cards. Even I enjoyed it again and now just wish for HP treo.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<Post deleted>>
    We're not going to allow these interrogation posts.
    Someone doesn't like Android or iOS. They don't need to justify or explain with particulars why.
    We're done allowing these fruitless debates in our forums.
    If you really love Android and iOS that much, it seems strange to spend your energy hanging out in a webOS forum trying to convince others of these OS' superiority over webOS.
    it's about time someone said it.

I'm so sick of people trying to inflict their interests on others. who the heck cares. seriously. it's a cell phone.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I just wanted to know what was so bad about the iphone? I am guessing it's just the feeling of jumping in and out of apps.

I just set up my old sprint pixi plus for a friend who never gave palm a chance but now has too because her blackberry broke. She's loving the simplicity and the cards. Even I enjoyed it again and now just wish for HP treo.
    Well since you ask, these are the things I didn't like about the iPhone in list format:

Notifications- absolute horrible. Whoever thought of this I hope was fired. A "smartphone" that interrupts you no matter what you are doing if you receive any push notification.

Notification light- lack thereof, I should say. The only way to figure out if you have something new is to pick up the device and turn it on.

Useless home screen- I hate the fact that THE ONLY THING I can have in my homescreen are icons. That's it. Just icons. No windows like on webOS and no usable widgets like on Android.

Settings- I could not stand the fact that the settings are all in one place. It may sound convenient, but its not. FOr example, I can be browsing my email and realize I want to change a setting on my email app. In order to do so, I have to exit the email app, find settings, go to settings, press on email settings, press on the account I want to change, then make the change, then exit settings, and go back to email. Too much for too little in my opinion.

Lack of customizability- enough said. Although the ONLY system that satisfies this craving out of the box is android. WebOS is not THAT customizable.... at least not on 1.4. I havent used 2.0 so I don't know.

Hardware button- I just don't like the fact that I have to press a 1990's button to go back home or switch tasks or anything else. It's kinda.... boring.

Boring UI- the whole phone is INCREDIBLY boring to use. Android was a bit better, webOS is best. I actually enjoy using webOS. As in, everytime I pick it up.... it's like a wonder to me. Like I just went to a birthday party as a little kid and enjoyed some nice cake. Well, maybe not THAT fun but it's pretty darn fun to use. People see me use my Pre Plus (soon to be Pre 2) and they say "whoa, what are you doing? I just see you swiping in like 7 different directions." I like that response. Not because its complicated, but because its so fun to use.

I could go on, but I will stop there. Those are my major gripes, even though I have others. That is why I left a 32GB iPhone 4 for a Palm Pre 2. I mean, I have a Palm Pre Plus now and I like it better than I did my iPhone.

iOS IS A GOOD PLATFORM for users that want simplicity and sheer number of apps. Everything is subjective. There is a user for every platform. webOS is mine. And frankly, iOS should only satisfy the users that want the most simplicity.

You know why iOS is so strong?? Because the people that say it is the best system have ONLY USED iOS. And most first smartphone users in the past few years have gone to iPhone and because they liked it they stay there. But know it is only because they have not tried anything else.

Sorry for the long post. :-)
  10.    #30  
    Got my Pre 2 finally! Been using it for about an hour. It's delicious. For lack of a better word.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Ahh. BeOS and it's "pervasive multithreading", good stuff. I would also add OS/2 to that list. In it's day it was way ahead of anybody else. In fact i think OS/2 was the first major multithreading OS.

Oh the days! OS/2 rocked. Most people don't realize that the whole Windows NT/2000/XP foundation was based on a lot of technologies from OS/2. It was superior to Windows 95 in just about every way, but Microsoft had the IBM's hardware business by the jewels (drop OS/2 or pay full retail for Windows 95!).

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    If you have had a Pre 2 and a Pre Plus, can you tell me about the touch screen responsiveness comparatively?

I have been watching videos on the Pre 2 and Pre Plus and it seems like the Pre 2 touch screen is very sensitive and very responsive- just about as responsive as an iPhone (have to admit it, they have the best touch screen)

How true is this?
    I don't have a Pre 2 (thought about it, but waiting to see if Pre 3 comes to VZW and how it feels), but I have webOS 2.1 on my Pre+. Most days I generally get about 2-3 hours more use out of the phone than I did with 1.4.5. I think the acceleration, and some other tweaks, really helped with battery life. I can go all work day and not have too charge. That used to be a struggle to accomplish.

Just remember that you will have to break in your new battery to get the best battery life.
    Op, did u try or like wp7 at all? I got my family on it, & am really liking it myself. I will probably move there once mango is released, which will bring better multi tasking similar to webos, which should bring a pandora app which i couldnt go without.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Op, did u try or like wp7 at all? I got my family on it, & am really liking it myself. I will probably move there once mango is released, which will bring better multi tasking similar to webos, which should bring a pandora app which i couldnt go without.
    I have used Windows Phone 7 and I actually love it too. However, webOS just has a touch of perfection that i didn't see matched by WP7. I tried it on the Trophy and on the T-Mobile HD7. I would tell you how, but I don't speak about my place of employment on forums.... haha gets you in trouble sometimes. Suffice it to say that my job allows me the opportunity to REALLY use every device on the market that I wish to use.

Windows Phone is very well designed and I like that it is almost as fast to use as webOS. Not fast as in speed terms, but fast as in I don't have to click 17 things to change ONE setting like on iOS.

I would be very statisfied with WP7. But I am just way too much of a webOS fanatic. I don't think there is a better OS out there. Not by a longshot. Palm really outdid themselves. Now HP owns the single best piece of software on Earth.

I haven't heard of Mango multitasking though.... what does it look like?
    It looks like cards, lol. Which is the only thing about webos i care about any more.

I really like everything else about wp7 more than webos, except the other major draw back for me is that i wish wp7 phones could be used as mass storage devices as easily as the pre can, which it cant afaikafaikafaik.
  15.    #35  
    oh. Lol. Well then if wp7 is right for you you should go there to enjoy what you spend your money on.

I'm sticking to webOS. I really enjoy it. So perfect.
    I watched a video review of the Nokia Astound on Phonedog. The guy in the video actually referred to webOS as the easiest to use. He also stated a few times how complicated Symbian was.
  17.    #37  
    yeah well that's because webOS IS the easiest to use. After you learn the system and the gestures. That's the hardest part. After that, it is the easiest, simplest and most consistent system on Earth. Lol
    It is frustrating for me that WebOS and the Pre generally have this ****-poor reputation among tech heads and gadget freaks, partly I think because of the relatively poor build quality of the original Pre and partly because of the relative lack of progress that's been apparent within the WebOS platform generally.

I was out with a few techie-type friends last night, and as a recent defector from Android I was subject to more or less constant barracking.

"Your new phone is gay"
    "But it's a multitasking beast"
    "But it's gay"
    "But it's the simplest and most elegant mobile OS I've ever seen"
    "But it's gay and only has four apps"
    "How many fart apps do you actually need?"
    etc

point being that these weren't just 16 year old kids unable to engage in any form of constructive debate other than "it's gay". These are 30-somethings in high powered tech jobs who ordinarily would be extremely interested in playing with an unfamiliar bit of tech kit. They weren't interested and reverted to "my phone's bigger than yours". This is a measure of the hash Palm made of the original Pre, and the inertia HP have brought to the table.

I love WebOS but I worry that we're fighting a losing battle.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    It is frustrating for me that WebOS and the Pre generally have this ****-poor reputation among tech heads and gadget freaks, partly I think because of the relatively poor build quality of the original Pre and partly because of the relative lack of progress that's been apparent within the WebOS platform generally.

I was out with a few techie-type friends last night, and as a recent defector from Android I was subject to more or less constant barracking.

"Your new phone is gay"
    "But it's gay"
    etc

point being that these weren't just 16 year old kids unable to engage in any form of constructive debate other than "it's gay". These are 30-somethings in high powered tech jobs who ordinarily would be extremely interested in playing with an unfamiliar bit of tech kit. They weren't interested and reverted to "my phone's bigger than yours". This is a measure of the hash Palm made of the original Pre, and the inertia HP have brought to the table.

+1

Except that I do think that Hp will make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post

"Your new phone is gay"
    "But it's gay"
    etc

What's funny is that just tonight I had the opposite experience. Put my pre2 down on the bar and my buddy picked it up and started playing with it. Once I showed him how to get back to card view, he was set. Said "so this isn't Android?" and I told him about webOS. He loved it.

Same exact experience with his girlfriend a second later, except she was even more in love with the card metaphor.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast