Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Power button has quit on my sprint pre2. It started to work intermittently a few days ago. Reboots seemed to help (strange I know as this should be only a hardware issue) but possibly just a coincidence. Now the button will not respond at all. I've experimented with the rubber band/eraser fix that is discussed at length in other threads but it doesn't help. It never lost the "clicky" action so I don't think that is the problem. I even tried replacing the physical button with other buttons from spare pre-'s with no luck. Also, with the button removed I tried pushing the gold contact in and it still does not turn the screen on or off. So does anyone have any suggestions here? I will try doctoring it tonight but this being a software issue doesn't seem right. I'd hate to go back to a pre- so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It could be a software problem. I would try the doc as well.
    +1 on the doc
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Just doctored the phone to no avail... power button still not working. I can't imagine what else it could be. This phone has never been dropped and I've only been using it a month... What are the chances HP will give me a replacement even though I've tampered with the green sticker on the screw?
    Quote Originally Posted by adrand View Post
    Just doctored the phone to no avail... power button still not working. I can't imagine what else it could be. This phone has never been dropped and I've only been using it a month... What are the chances HP will give me a replacement even though I've tampered with the green sticker on the screw?
    Sorry to hear that. So what can it be? If you opened the device maybe some connection from the power switch to the circuit?
    Sorry I'm no expert for this since I never opened the device. But others have.
    No idea about the replacement as well.
    Are you sure it isn't just the phone "pausing"? There seem to be a few things in 2.x that will cause the phone to "freeze" for a while. Every now and then I see this when the gesture area or power button stop responding. If I give it a few minutes, it recovers. I've assumed it's a combination of whatever happens when Synergy accounts sync, and whatever it is that causes the hesitation related to sending test messages.

Have you installed any of the Advanced Framework patches or one that modifies the power button? Those could also be interfering. I've also read of problems with the patches that muffle logging. Are you running any of those?

What patches are you running?
    Good point Cantaffordit.
    @adrand:
    Can you switch the phone on when it is completely powered of (e.g. after battery change)
    by pressing the botton for some seconds)
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    patches are you running?
    I did have about 15 patches including the advanced menus but I EPR 'd before doctoring last night. I was wondering the same thing about a patch as the culprit. My last resort will be to put the gsm board back in, doctor again, and see if it responds. After that I'm lost and it will be back to pre-.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Good point Cantaffordit.
    @adrand:
    Can you switch the phone on when it is completely powered of (e.g. after battery change)
    by pressing the botton for some seconds)
    No. It won't power up when holding the power button. I have to plug the charger cable in to activate a boot up. Do you think that points to a hardware issue over a software one?

It really sounds like hardware, but I haven't heard of power button or hardware issues from Pre2 owners... including mine.

I'd suggest that you doctor the phone to remove any possible software glitches. If it doesn't solve the problem, get it replaced right away.

For you, that means either trying to replace the power button, or switching it back to a stock Pre2 so you can get a warranty replacement...

Have you talked to Pastorrich1 or webosworld about this? They've done so many of these, they would be the best source for a list of any issues that have come up.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Having a similar problem with my Sprint Pre2.

Seems like my power button is constantly being pressed. When I put the battery in, it will automatically turn on, kind of like when you have to hold the power button in for a few seconds to get it to boot up. When booted up, I can't turn it off or on by pressing the power button. It isn't stuck in (I can press it with plenty of clickiness), just doesn't do anything when I press it. I'm wondering if there's a hardware problem that is making the phone think the power button is pressed. Don't think it's software related because it happens even when the phone is powered off.

I recently cleaned the headphone jack out with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Could that be related?
    No. It won't power up when holding the power button. I have to plug the charger cable in to activate a boot up. Do you think that points to a hardware issue over a software one?

Adrad, i have the same issue.
    did you solve it?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
    Adrad, i have the same issue.
    did you solve it?
    Sorry no luck. It randomly worked for a few hours one day last week before it completely lost any "clicking" as well and I'm back to no power button. Very frustrating. I installed the homebrew app "screenoff" based on someone's suggestion. It helps make the lack of a power button manageable for now but if they don't announce a pre3 on sprint real soon then I may have to sadly stray from WebOS. I thought for sure an announcement would come today on the Pre 2 yr anniversary.
    Sorry no luck. It randomly worked for a few hours one day last week before it completely lost any "clicking" as well and I'm back to no power button. Very frustrating. I installed the homebrew app "screenoff" based on someone's suggestion. It helps make the lack of a power button manageable for now but if they don't announce a pre3 on sprint real soon then I may have to sadly stray from WebOS. I thought for sure an announcement would come today on the Pre 2 yr anniversary.
    thx mate, at least the 'screenoff' helped me a bit...