Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I know that the best way to activate a Developer Pre 2 is with any SIM, but I tried getting the AT&T store guys to let me use a demo SIM with no success, and I honestly don't want to be tied to them to get it activated. I know there were some patches that were being worked on to enable profile activation after dev mode bypass (that seem to only work on older webOS versions), and that there are MetaDoctor scripts for Pre -/+s that enable WiFi only usage, but I need a way for my unlocked GSM Pre 2 to work on WiFi only. Is there a MetaDoctor script for that? I don't see it listed on the wiki, and I'm right now downloading a Linux VM to try it out, so I was just wondering if there's a script for my device.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I already did that. That leaves me with a device with a Dr Skipped Firstuse profile, which doesn't let me access the App Catalog. If you read my post, you'll note I want to tie my Palm Profile to the device, and the standard dev mode bypass doesn't allow that. Thank you for pointing me to that though.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Alright, I ended up doing a bit more research, and it looks like the best way to do it is to Doctor back to 2.0.1, and use arthurthornton's patch from this post, and then once you've tied your Palm Profile, doing an OTA update to 2.1.
    Last edited by Libb; 04/25/2011 at 03:05 PM.
    i found this. Can anyone chime in there findings?

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-1-4-5-a.html
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Right, that's what I ended up using (and tried to link but it looks like the code got borked). But you need to use the patch later in the thread, I believe on the third page - things changed in 2.0.1 from the original patch which was for 1.4.5. I'm also not sure it works under 2.1, if someone wants to try it out that would be great. But I got it working by doctoring back to 2.0.1, entering dev mode, installing that patch, activating the Palm Profile, and doing an OTA update to 2.1. Everything seems to be working fine, although my launcher appears to be missing the Exhibition preferences - I need to Just Type to find them. Might just need to rebuild the launcher cache.

EDIT: Here's that patch link: "http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/269972-patch-enable-profile-creation-activation-bypassed-device-1-4-5-a-2.html#post2800116" The board seems to be borking links, just copy that and remove the quotes on either side.
    Last edited by Libb; 04/25/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    The Impostah app can activate your profile wherever you are, over wifi, and using the carrier info you need, with no SIM.

In other words, you can activate your Pre 2 with US paid app catalog, to use with AT&T without the need for a SIM.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-impostah.html
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    I already did that. That leaves me with a device with a Dr Skipped Firstuse profile, which doesn't let me access the App Catalog. If you read my post, you'll note I want to tie my Palm Profile to the device, and the standard dev mode bypass doesn't allow that. Thank you for pointing me to that though.
    Weird, I can download apps and use my phone normally with the "Dr. Skipped Firstuse". The only problem is that I don't have a backup.