View Poll Results: For SPRINT FrankenPre Users Only - What Have Your Experiences Been?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent - no real problems to speak of

13 52.00%
  • Good - some minor problems but I deal with them or have fixed them

5 20.00%
  • Poor - major issues persist after the upgrade

1 4.00%
  • N/A - I don't actually have a SPRINT FrankenPre

6 24.00%
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hello there.

Firstly, I realize there are already several threads (most of which seem positive) discussing people's experience with Pre 2s on Sprint. I also realize there are several threads containing issues (some small, some big), and the monster 17-pager full of people's problems trying to do the comm-board switch and resulting problems.

It's hard for me to wade through all of them though, and get a clear picture on exactly how safe it is to take the plunge, and willingly dismantle a beloved (or somewhat hated if we're only talking hardware) Pre- to jump over into shiny new Pre2 awesomesauce hardware.

So, for SPRINT FrankenPre owners only - please summarize your experiences, both good but especially bad (in terms of actual problems you're having) since the switch. I really want to get the new hardware, and am 100% willing to pay for the service of having it ported to Sprint by an expert, but I'm mega-paranoid of losing functionality, support, the ability to do PRL updates, trouble-free access to the App catalog, etc. that may be caused by upgrading to a 2.1 rev Pre2 device on Sprint.

Am I being overly paranoid? I rely on my phone extremely heavily for work and it's hard to imagine how I could function w/out it even for a few days, much less weeks if troubles start to plague me.
    Last edited by maethlin; 04/24/2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: subscribing to thread
    I have a Franken Verizon Pre 2.... The comboard switch is really easy. The only tricky thing is to watch for the gold volume tape!! I ripped mine off in the process Mine works fine. I had to doctor a few times but that was a software issue.
    I would love this all in one place, as well, as I am thinking about doing the same thing. I believe you will lose the Sprint Navigator. Something about pop 3 mail not working for some?? And is it true Google calendar sync only goes back 3 months??
    You will likely get opinions all over the board but if you read through everything BEFORE doing anything in the link below, you will be fine.

Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

I have been using a Pre 2 on Sprint since the middle of December and there were only minor issues then and no real issues now. PRL update is not an issue unless you spend the majority of your time roaming for Sprint service. Your device will function just as well as it always has when roaming.

At some point since the middle of December HP/Palm opened up some things in the profile servers that remove some of the obstacles we had then. So go for it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    With pastorrich1's help, I was able to do the Sprint FrankenPre2 conversion. I've had no issues what-so-ever with the device since and love the hardware. It's been great!
    I've also done the sprint pre 2 modification. Only problem I had was activation. I followed the steps and the doctor loaded fine, but my pre wasn't active before I made the swap into the pre 2, so I tried to activate the pre 2. When it didn't work I re swapped the comm board in the pre - and activated it, then re swapped into the pre 2. I later read that the pre - has to be active first, so this was my error. Been using it now for over a month, and no issues.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I think none of the issues here would bug me at all except the Sprint Navigator thing. No way to get that back easily I guess? Or a substitute? Flaky as it is, I actually use Navigator a TON. Would be a major bummer to lose that functionality.

I guess I could buy a separate GPS but that's just more $$$
    The only gotchas are no PRL update and you lose the Sprint and Amazon mp3 apps. Beyond that, as long as you can follow directions, have good eyes and can use your fingers well, it is fantastic. I definitely recommend it.
    So you DO or DON'T lose Sprint Navigator??
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    So you DO or DON'T lose Sprint Navigator??
    You do lose Sprint Nav initially but you can bring it back using instructions in the following thread . . .
    Pilot 1000=>Pilot 5000=>Palm IIIx=>Palm Vx=>Palm 505m=>Treo 600=>Treo 650=>Treo 700wx=>Treo 755p=>Palm Pre=>Palm Pre 2
    Sweet! THANKS!!
    Just took the plunge today. My Sprint Pre+ was getting worse and worse with the ghost taps and non-responsive screen. If the 3 comes to Sprint, this will be the wife's phone.

All in all, it is very nice. I obviously haven't had it long enough to say whether there are any major problems, but it handles 2.1 much better. Nice and snappy, with an excellent keyboard. The slider isn't as solid on mine as others have stated. The Plus was much more responsive, and "snapped" open and close much more confidently. I'm guessing it's just an anomaly, and it wasn't nearly enough for me to send back.

All in all, it seems well worth it. I am not disappoint.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Kinda obvious but don't forget you will lose warranty coverage from palm/hp. I'm stuck with a non-functioning power button after less than a month without the ability to have it repaired or the unit replaced.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by adrand View Post
    Kinda obvious but don't forget you will lose warranty coverage from palm/hp. I'm stuck with a non-functioning power button after less than a month without the ability to have it repaired or the unit replaced.

Just saw your thread on the problem so deleting my response. I hope the issue can be fixed.

My wife just approved me buying a Pre 2 (pretty sad I have to ask?) so this thread is a good read.
    Last edited by kuffcakes; 04/28/2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Besides missing Sprint Navigation, supplementing with nDrive, it's been a blast. If I have been having any issues it's due to Sprint and not the phone.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Just got one glitch that I haven't seen anywhere, but is probably on a forum somewhere. This is my second full day on my Sprint Pre 2. This morning around 0400 I received an update notification telling me that webOS 2.1 was ready for download. I'm already running 2.1, so this surprised me. Reminds me of the problem a while back (can't remember the version number) where owners who installed the update we getting notifications after the fact that updates were available for the version they just installed. Has anyone else experienced this, or heard of the problem? I don't want to install, since I don't know what it will do with the FrankenPre.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Just got one glitch that I haven't seen anywhere, but is probably on a forum somewhere. This is my second full day on my Sprint Pre 2. This morning around 0400 I received an update notification telling me that webOS 2.1 was ready for download. I'm already running 2.1, so this surprised me. Reminds me of the problem a while back (can't remember the version number) where owners who installed the update we getting notifications after the fact that updates were available for the version they just installed. Has anyone else experienced this, or heard of the problem? I don't want to install, since I don't know what it will do with the FrankenPre.
    When I first doctored my frankenpre2 voice dial did not work. After checking for system updates it said webos 2.1 was ready for download even though I was already running 2.1 . I completed the update (it was a small one around 8 megs I think) and it cleared up the voice dial problem. I'm guessing this is the update ur seeing. Id install it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adrand View Post
    When I first doctored my frankenpre2 voice dial did not work. After checking for system updates it said webos 2.1 was ready for download even though I was already running 2.1 . I completed the update (it was a small one around 8 megs I think) and it cleared up the voice dial problem. I'm guessing this is the update ur seeing. Id install it. Good luck.

I think that may be the problem. I didn't have any problems with Voice Dial running 2.1 on my Sprint Pre+ so I didn't even think about checking that. Updating now with fingers crossed. Thanks adrand!

EDIT: Wow! That really was a small update. downloaded, installed, and rebooted in less than 2 mins. All looks good so far. Voice Dial works now. Thanks again for the help.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexart View Post
    You do lose Sprint Nav initially but you can bring it back using instructions in the following thread . . .
    The only issue with this is you have to be able to get your hands on the leaked Sprint 2.0 for the Pre minus....there are sites but its awful hard to read chinese