Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I've seen several reports over the past couple of days that Apple's iPod's and Google's Androids are tracking a years worth of location's on their phones, and reporting it. Apparently, there's an app for that. Does anyone know if the same is true with HP and the Palm phones?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ainwashed.html

there is a post in this thread that points to a PreCentral article about what webOS tracks...
    yes, hp is tracking all 1000 of us...
    /wave
    I see pandas.
    I wonder, can they track this information when I don't have location tracking turned on? I have it set up so that it always asks me when it wants location information, and I will never use Google Location services ever, but I'm sure if Palm really wanted they could collect information without my permission.

The only way to really be safe is to destroy your phone's GPS receiver, and not use Google Location services.
    all phones and carriers can "track" you...this is old information i dont know why everybodys making a big deal out of this now...cops have been using this info to bust people for ages...
    They can track all they want. Thanks to Bell's horrible AGPS servers my GPS doesn't lock most of the time anyways.

I can be at work launching Google Maps, but it'll get a "lock" saying I'm still at home.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/22/2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I don't know about you people but I found the GPS came in awfully handy when I had my heart attack and I was not at my home....they had where I was from my phone...
    Having X+n things in X space ain't gonna cut it...
    Whatever as long as I'm not going to be killed.
    killed, probly not. But if u'r in the US and u think u have rights... Japanese-American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    How did we go from being tracked on your phone to Japanese-American internment camps???

I'm not important enough to worry about being tracked and the government/authorities don't need us to have our GPS-enabled phones to find us if they really wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    all phones and carriers can "track" you...this is old information i dont know why everybodys making a big deal out of this now...cops have been using this info to bust people for ages...
    same here. I thought we all learned about this from OJ.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdmc View Post
    I've seen several reports over the past couple of days that Apple's iPod's and Google's Androids are tracking a years worth of location's on their phones, and reporting it. Apparently, there's an app for that. Does anyone know if the same is true with HP and the Palm phones?
    Even if HP is not actively having data retained in its Synergy servers or some other storage medium, the devices themselves do retain most data for a very long time. That includes call data, location data (whether GPS or not), SID registration. A lot of it is benign. Carriers used to rely on location/SID registration a lot to prevent fraud and cloning when that was common.

You could wipe your hole device and there is electronic forensic gear out there that will retrieve it all by just plugging it in. Cellebrite is the manufacturer of most of that equipment (yes, the same company that makes the stuff that helps transfer contacts from one device to another).

The Apple issue doesn't really surprise me. What I think is almost humorous is how some folks are surprised by Google/Android doing it too......Google, the undisputed king of data mining...I'm surprised the Droid X and TBolt I tried out didn't come out of the box already knowing my name and the names of my two cats.

This is all gathered with the dollar in mind. To help these companies make more money. I have no problem with that. In fact, I would rather that, than learn that this data is being transmitted to the NSA server farm in Maryland. Companies want to target goods and services they think I'm interested in? No problem. As soon as the door knocks though, "Sir, we're with the government and we're here to help. We noticed that you're visiting Krispy Kreme doughnuts too often and you're visiting Best Buy and buying too many electronic gadgets...".......well...
    If you have a cell phone, you can be tracked. As far webOS specific advice, just turn off the Auto Locate, Geotagging, and Background Data Collection options in the Location Services app on your phone and you should be fine.