Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I've played around and there are a few apps that come normally on the Verizon Pre 2 that I'd like to have on my FrankenPre. Is this possible? The few attempts I made have not been successful. It would be nice to install Skype, MHS, and possibly VZ Navigator if possible.

Thanks.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Yes it should be possible as long as you're on Verizon (at least for skype). Take a peek into the WebOS 2.0 doctor from Verizon and you'll find packages you can install.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I hope you don't take this as threadjacking, but I'm a noob and was wondering if someone could tell me what a Frankenpre is?
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    A search will get you more information, but this is taking a GSM unlocked Pre 2 and putting in the Verizon communications board. Basically turning this into a Verizon Pre 2 (with limitations).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I must be missing something because I tried installing the "skyped" ipk I found in verizon.tar but skype doesn't show up.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Nevermind... I'm such a noob! I just had to add the Skype account. I was looking for a Skype application but it's integrated into contact, messaging, and phone apps.

Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I must be missing something because I tried installing the "skyped" ipk I found in verizon.tar but skype doesn't show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Nevermind... I'm such a noob! I just had to add the Skype account. I was looking for a Skype application but it's integrated into contact, messaging, and phone apps.
    How'd you get this to work? (I installed the ipk (via ipkg install) and got skype to work once by manually launching skyped from the cli, but ever since even that won't work.)
    Aside-I'm pretty confident you're not a noob, since you got this to work, and based on your sig (history w/ Palm).. speaking of which, i don't know about you, but my Pre 2 says Palm on the back, not HP!
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
    How'd you get this to work? (I installed the ipk (via ipkg install) and got skype to work once by manually launching skyped from the cli, but ever since even that won't work.)
    Aside-I'm pretty confident you're not a noob, since you got this to work, and based on your sig (history w/ Palm).. speaking of which, i don't know about you, but my Pre 2 says Palm on the back, not HP!
    It looks like you did exactly what I did. I installed:
    skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    and
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk

Though the latter was probably not necessary. Then I rebooted and in messenger I logged into my Skype account.
    remember that skype shows up in two places. The messaging app lets you send text messages to people in your skype contact list. And skype shows up in the dialer so you can make a voice al to them. Also remember that domestic skype calls count against the mibutes on your plan, no matter the time or day.
    so of course! After i posted this I went to start skyped from the cli. No, it said, service already registered. What? So I enable data, login, and..! Everything's workin beautifully. What?! Damn. ;^) So ignore me.
    Cant: I can't quite see an easy way to dial through my skype contacts..
    question though - minutes don't go according to time-of-day? Like a night/weekend call wouldn't go against that quota? I knew it counted as minutes, but assumed it was the minutes of the time period you're in, rather than all counting as peak minutes. If that's true, that would be disturbing. Hopefully we can get 3g calling like everyone else soon!
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)