Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    My Pre 2 just jumped off the table and apparently landed on the power button which now is a bit more inset and requires a real hard press to make it work.

Anyone know if there is any minor surgery (I have a set of Torx) I can do to fix it.

(The phone has no warranty. It is a unlucked dev device.)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    same happened to me. Carefully pop it out and take a very thin, very small piece of rubberband and place it inside on top of the little metal bit in the phone where the button presses. Replace the button. I did this and mine has actually been better than new since. Some people also claim a piece of paper, folded works too. Rubberband just makes more sense for the clickiness.

edit: I actually had to find the thinnest ruberband I could and thin it out even more by scraping at it with a razor blade to get it to work. I'm on a sprint pre-
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I've done both paper and rubber band but the best thing for sure is a small piece of a baloon that hasn't been inflated. Just cut a small rectangle piece a little smaller than the hole. Works fantastic.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Thanks, both!

@blue duck butter, when you say "pop it off", do you mean tha if I can get a slim piece of metal, I can just lever the button out? No need to take apart the phone to do so?

If so, does this loosen it up a bit for the future? Does it become prone to pop off all by itself later? Did you glue it?

Love this community! Just found a fix for the voice dial killing audio 2.1 and now a rapid fire response like this. Great!!!

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Doctors, the operation was a success!!!

Got a teensy, tiny (yes, shaved, as suggested) piece of rubber band under the power button. The trick was getting it big enough so it could action the contact, yet so small that it wouldn't push off the power button.

It's literally as good as new, though upon seeing the mechanism that holds it in place, I'l always have a residual, lingering fear that the button will jump ship.

Thanks, all!!!!!

6. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    great info -- the rubber band seems to work better then the other options I've tried . . . hopefully it'll last until the Pre3 enters my inventory of gadgets~
    webos community is awesome. i've had this problem since 2 weeks after getting my pre + last May and... finally i can fix it. thanks.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Many hours later, my power button has held, and really feels like nothing happen.

Related question: I was happy how tight the 2's slider was compared to my Plus, but the fall has made it wiggly now when open, with a slight Oreo when closed. Are the tightening procedures I've read for the pre- hardware same for the 2?
    mine is starting to have the oreo affect as well. Any links to a tutorial on tightening the slider mechanism?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Carefully pop it out and take a very thin, very small piece of rubberband and place it inside on top of the little metal bit in the phone where the button presses. Replace the button

I had this same problem and follow these instructions! ITS WORKING!!!

Im a physician so I used a rubber glove!

I have some pictures of the surgery!! jeje
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I had this problem a month ago, and I saw a recommendation on Hpalm's forums.

1. Get the palm pre's power button out

2. Get a paperclip and clear nailpolish remover

3. Get a bit of nail polish remover onto the end of the paperclip

3. Drop a little bead of nail polish remover onto the back of the power button using the paperclip

4. Let dry. (wait at least 15 minutes.)

5. Pop the button back in the pre

wallah! It worked like a charm for me.

if it still feels like you have to push in too much, go ahead and put another small bead of nail polish remover on the back of the power button.

FYI use a credit card to pop the button out - make sure you don't lose it though!

-kas
    Works for me.

Thanks for the photos bolija... Helped a bunch.

My thanks button no work!
    I used a piece of eraser for a pre+. That worked but I lost the click. I didn't know I missed the click until I used my wife's phone.
    I did the same thing. I used a tiny shaving from a broken rubber watch band. I think anything of bouncy rubber works pretty good. The key is just cutting it to the right tiny size so it fits. But it's held for about a month now.

I read somewhere that the problem is there's a piece of plastic that on the button that get's mashed down, bent, or breaks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by goky View Post
    Works for me.

Thanks for the photos bolija... Helped a bunch.
    You are welcome. I love to be help since I get a lot from this forum.
    my glove repair is still like NEW and keep pressing on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    I had this same problem and follow these instructions! ITS WORKING!!!

Im a physician so I used a rubber glove!

I have some pictures of the surgery!! jeje
    I used a piece of a glove to fix my mashed power button on an ATT Pre+.

Thanks for the advice and pics.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)