Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I take good care of my gadgets, and my Palm Pre 2 was no exception. Recently, it was knocked out of my hand, onto concrete, about 30cm - 1 meter. It landed screen first, and I picked it up thinking, 'well good job this had gorilla glass'. I looked, and the entire screen was smashed. And I mean SMASHED.

http://i55.tinypic.com/28ivn5x.jpg

I contacted palm repair, and they said a replacement would cost 135.30. Really? So they are saying that something they claimed to be 'super-tough' broke, therefore I have to pay a LOT more than a normal screen repair.

The palm Pre2's 'gorilla' glass is a poor excuse for phone glass.
    I dunno man...i think the pre's gorilla glass is the same as the gorilla glass on any other phone. It's truly very scratch resistant and tough, but like any glass, the right ammount of vibration at the right frequency (like what might happen when you drop it) could ruin your day. I'd say you were just unlucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azxdcvg View Post
    The palm Pre2's 'gorilla' glass is a poor excuse for phone glass.
    Totally agree. "Gorilla glass' is a total fraud. My Pre 2 screen is also totally smashed from falling on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    As unfortunate as this is, it is still glass.

No-one seemed to like the plastic screen and everyone has been eagerly anticipating the gorilla glass screen. I think now we are seeing the downsides.

It may be less prone to scratching and fingerprints but gorilla glass is just that, glass, and will shatter when dropped.

I do wonder if a skin screen protector would help.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Dan
    Gorilla glass is still glass... simply because they say its resistant doesnt mean you should expect it to be invulnerable.

And because it is a composite material... some pieces are going to be inherently stronger than others.

Ive got an Epic that has had a pretty tough life (I dont baby it because I hate the thing, worst phone ive ever owned)... it even survived laying my motorcycle down and skidding on the concrete (it was in my pocket, and I skidded for enough for the pants to be ripped open on that side till the phone ripped through and went skittering down the road on its own) The physical case is beat to hell but even through all that the glass looks pretty great. On the other hand, Ive got a buddy who had an Epic, and the gorilla glass shattered on day two when he bumped up against a table while he was walking.

Just like Mhunterjr said... its still glass... at some point its gonna break, every time you risk it by dropping it, bumping it, shooting it, throwing it or whatever... you risk breaking it. Same with any phone... regardless of how you had a phone this one time that was struck by a hurtling meteor then had a 747 land on it and never got a single scratch... theres going to be someone else who had the same phone that was sitting on the table and shattered because their girlfriend looked at it in a mean way. Electronics are designed to rest in your hand and be used...
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    As unfortunate as this is, it is still glass.

No-one seemed to like the plastic screen and everyone has been eagerly anticipating the gorilla glass screen. I think now we are seeing the downsides.

It may be less prone to scratching and fingerprints but gorilla glass is just that, glass, and will shatter when dropped.

I do wonder if a skin screen protector would help.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Well if you Goog "shattered iPhone 4" you might feel a bit better? It comes down to this...GLASS BREAKS! :shock:

I know, it's amazing right? Now they *could* make it truly unbreakable but would you really want a $3000 phone?
    hey... What ticks me off is if you go watch the Gorilla Glass demo videos. Mine is no where near that strong. I've got a post in here about a scratch I got on mine. This glass is NO WHERE NEAR AS DURABLE AS THEY CLAIM!

Well this glass is much better than plastic screens for sure . And if you drop your phone on a road that's made with rocks mixed with tar . Well all it takes is a little tiny rock protruding from the tar to touch your screen to shatter it . But if it was a flat surface you would have had better chances of no braking .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Maybe the next generation will have Dragon Glass!
    Gorilla Glass is a fraud. I took my Pre2 outside and someone shot me in my phone pocket. It was only a 9mm, but it went right through the glass screen, through my phone, and into my leg!
    Its like the Gorilla Glass didn't even try to stop the bullet!!

:P
    HAHAHAHA.... That was a sarcastic laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Gorilla Glass is a fraud. I took my Pre2 outside and someone shot me in my phone pocket. It was only a 9mm, but it went right through the glass screen, through my phone, and into my leg!
    Its like the Gorilla Glass didn't even try to stop the bullet!!
    haha...

I hate it when I get shot in the phone pocket. But thats nothing man! The other day I was walking through my living room surfing the web on my phone... and I stubbed my toe on the shelf... my phone hit the floor and then Jupiter rolled off the shelf and somehow landed RIGHT ON MY PHONE!! Of COURSE the glass broke. It can't even withstand minor planetary collision... Gorilla glass is a JOKE!!

I can see why people get angry... we spend a lot of money on these electronics... and have certain expectations for durability. But everything has a weak point... sometimes you just have bad luck. It sucks... Ive got horror stories about stuff Ive bought too... you gotta find a way to laugh about it...
    ever heard of 'Murphy's Law'? That's me. So I understand. But really... Have you guys seen the demo videos? No way mine would stand up to that.

Jupiter Roll?! LMAO
    lol @ this thread.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Totally agree. "Gorilla glass' is a total fraud. My Pre 2 screen is also totally smashed from falling on the road.
    but according to your other post, you dropped yours in a crowd. The damage yours has according to the pics is clearly being stepped on repeatedly.

I have dropped both my pre and pre 2 repeatedly and even accidently kicked them and the worst damage I had was a power button losing its clickiness.
    Palm charges a extortionist amount of money for repair if you're in the UK for things that are done for free or cheap in the US. Hell, someone's power button came off and the price to replace it? 130! What a joke.

I feel for you guys, I'd see what I could waggle out of Palm again or my carrier, honestly, I wouldn't even waste my time on buying a webOS device again if it happened to me and that was the BS response I got.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    my friends Iphone screen shattered last week.....cellphone screens are not bullet proof...well maybe James Bond's is....weres Q when we need him!
    man if Q made my pre, id have zero complains.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    ever heard of 'Murphy's Law'? That's me. So I understand. But really... Have you guys seen the demo videos? No way mine would stand up to that.

Jupiter Roll?! LMAO
    Oh man... I thought I was Murphys Law incarnate... I travel for a living... Wanna know true horror? Ending up in the middle of Kansas back roads with no street signs of any kind, with no map and accidentally dropping your GPS unit which hits the shift knob and breaks the screen.

You are right though... the video makes that stuff out to be some kind of godly impenetrable fortress for the front of your phone. And Microsoft makes Windows out to be the best OS on earth... and Apple makes iPhones out to be the most cutting edge tech on earth... and Budweiser promises me hot chicks will chill in my back yard with me every time I pop that cap...

Ive had to learn to just laugh...
    on a serious note. I called Palm a few weeks back about doing a warranty claim because my pocket lint scratched my screen, deeply. They told me to bug off. I claimed the screen is supposed to be 'scratch resistant', & they said it was. But I had no way of proving that it legitimently was my pocket lint that caused the scratch.... Which it was... & it did.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast