Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just another engineering perspective here... From what I understand material science-wise is that the plastic is probably going to be more drop resistant than any kind of glass (traditional or gorilla). As stated above, glass is a very strong material but the problem is that it does not take deformation well before fracture. Glass (for all intents and purposes) has only an elastic deformation zone. When a force is applied to it, there will only be a small displacement of the material before it fractures. On the other hand, plastic has an elastic deformation zone as well as a plastic deformation zone before fracture. When a force is applied to plastic, it will either be little enough force that it will spring back to its previous shape, enough force to permanently change its shape or finally fracture with a high enough stress level. If the force applied to both materials is over a small surface area, the glass will probably fracture before the plastic, but the plastic would also probably not completely spring back to its original shape. The Pre 2 would probably be able to survive an edgewise fall better if it had a slightly larger plastic bezel (sp?) and a slightly smaller piece of glass (same screen size) for a best of both worlds approach. That way the main stress concentration (point of impact) would be absorbed by the plastic edge and result in a dink on the side but preserve the glass face. Attached is an example stress-strain curve. Glass would probably be the leftmost (straight) curve and plastic would be the rightmost (wavy) curve.

Also, I think that the only way the strength of the Gorilla Glass could have been misrepresented is if they actually released hard numbers of the material properties (which are surprisingly available on the product datasheet) and some third party were to do destructive testing to disprove those numbers.

Product datasheet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why don't they make phones anymore with wrist strap loops? Just boggling.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    +1

but I must agree that I don't believe the glass on our Pre 2's is as strong as stated... Period.
    What did Palm or HP state?
    +1

but I must agree that I don't believe the glass on our Pre 2's is as strong as stated... Period.
    But what was the false statement?
    'scratch resistant'. Of course as with Palm warranty.. How the 5)8: am I suppose to be able to prove that my pocket lint scratched the glass. I can't.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I would like to buy that broken phone
    the more i read about glass on a phone, the more i like my scratched pre-, which i dropped many times. Was mad about the deep scratches before, but realizing now, that it could be shattered by now with glass.
    'scratch resistant'. Of course as with Palm warranty.. How the 5)8: am I suppose to be able to prove that my pocket lint scratched the glass. I can't.
    Hmmm that's a good on. Maybe a magnifying glass would reveal lint fibers trapped in the scratches.
    Gorilla glass is great at preventing scratches and abrasions. But it isn't indestructible as I learned this morning when it fell flat on my concrete patio floor: Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Gorilla glass is great at preventing scratches and abrasions. But it isn't indestructible as I learned this morning when it fell flat on my concrete patio floor: Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Wow. Guess I need to keep my Pre+ when my Pre 2 comes. Is there any replacement parts yet for the Pre 2?
    I remember when form followed function and phones were made from plastic. Now a plastic phone will be called "inferior" because there's a phone made from glass with a wrap-around antenna you can't touch if you want to have reception, and it's "superior".

I'm seriously frightened of getting the Pre3 because knowing my butterfingers, it's probably gonna shatter within a week of unboxing. And sadly, you can't get a high-end smartphone made of durable plastic anymore because plastic isn't considered high-end.

HP should make a phone out of bone china and the hopes and dreams of young children. Apparently being brittle is considered chic.
    thank god for insurance.... Right?....right?!?
    thank god for insurance.... Right?....right?!?
    It was my developer phone...so no insurance.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I'm sorry man I can't imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    welp, it survived the fall without a scratch

in all seriousness, I can't stress getting a protective case. When i got my Epic, the first thing i did is get the case to go with it. I've already dropped the phone a number of times, and its still flawless. I know cases add a bit to the bulkiness but its worth it in the long run.

Now i feel completely secure, the glass feels great and keeps the phone from getting scratched in my pocket. And the phone is well protected against falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I dunno man...i think the pre's gorilla glass is the same as the gorilla glass on any other phone. It's truly very scratch resistant and tough, but like any glass, the right ammount of vibration at the right frequency (like what might happen when you drop it) could ruin your day. I'd say you were just unlucky.
    I agree. I have an iPod touch I'm selling, and I recently noticed two hairline scratches on the front screen and I peeved because it's been treated very careful. People tend to not like buying scratched screens even if it's barely noticeable. Point is, it scratches, cracks and breaks just not as easily. It is very misadvertised and even the demoed are very misleading.I know If I tried scratching my iPod touch with a key it would have a big scratch... I got little ones from who knows how!

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234