Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Azxdcvg View Post
    I didn't ask about an artillery-proof phone, I was simply stating that I was disappointed with the gorilla glass.

I have decided to wait for the pre 3 to come out, and hope that it is more durable than the pre 2.

The amount of trolls on here is unbelievable.
    Oh... for pitys sake...

Im sorry I upset your delicate sensibilities bro. Next time I wont bother trying to share my own experiences and a bit of humor to lighten the mood. We can all toss up angry, negative rants of our own... and walk away feeling productive knowing that we had spent vast amounts of time complaining about things with each other. It will be a good bonding experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    It will be a good bonding experience.
    like the hotel bed....
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    like the hotel bed....
    Is that what it is called when you wake up in the morning and the pillow is stuck to your face? A bonding experience?

Hey... that protector, how much bulk does it add to your phone?
    the skinomi?! None as far as I notice. Got one on my wife's Pre as well and she has no complaints (as usual )
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azxdcvg View Post
    I didn't ask about an artillery-proof phone, I was simply stating that I was disappointed with the gorilla glass.

I have decided to wait for the pre 3 to come out, and hope that it is more durable than the pre 2.

The amount of trolls on here is unbelievable.
    Being disappointed and having unrealistic expectations about something are two different things. Gorilla glass is NOT advertised as indestructible. Also, sharing ones opinion about someone's unrealistic expectations is NOT trolling, its called reality.
    +1
    but... Steve Jobs sold his soul to the devil. I want no part in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntjoe View Post
    but according to your other post, you dropped yours in a crowd. The damage yours has according to the pics is clearly being stepped on repeatedly.
    My post was directed at the guy who dropped his phone in the tango competition....
    I must apologise for a poor choise of 'word' to explain what had hapoened. But, the actual fact is that there were just maybe four people at most, not exactly a 'crowd', around the area where the phone fell. How many, if any at all, actually stepped on the phone is not quite clear.

The fact is that I personally never found anything wrong with the plastic screen on my Pre + and to me it also seemed far more durable than the fraud 'gorilla' glass turned out to be. In fact I also prefer the rounded, smooth feel of the Pre + over the sharp edges of the Pre 2. The Pre 2 glass is also way more susceptible to fingerprints, grime & dirt than the plastic on the Pre +. With the Pre 2, I would constantly be cleaning the screen and I never have to do so as much with the Pre +. Why does everyone want glass? Just because iPhone has it?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 04/20/2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    funny thing is to me it seemed that the plastic screen (other then the orignal sprint pre with the button) was and is more durable then any glass screen when it comes to drops and bumps. I think we all saw and heard about less broken pre plus screens, then say any other glass screens. Though plastic screens scratch easier, you have to choose your posion. For me glass screens do look alot nicer, and looks more sophisticated, though believe me every company not just HP/palm phones will break if you drop them at a wrong angle wether it be glass or plastic. So either do what some say armor it up with cases and screen protectors, or make sure you have a cheap protection plan. Its a device deal with it sorry to say.
    The engineering answer, glass is a unique material with large internal stresses bound up in it. In most cases it is incredibly strong, but hit it in just the wrong place, and it will shatter. This is a major issue with glass guardrail design. they will take great loads, but hit them in just the right spot with a small hammer and you can have the whole sheet collapse.

My suspicion is when the screen landed it hit a very hard, sharp, but small piece of grit in just the wrong place. Murphey's law.
    i know its late, but i just wanted everyone to know that this tread made my day!!!!

as far as the gorilla glass vs plastic argument, i'd go gorilla glass every time. Plastic will probably never shatter, but it scratches easily. Since i usually carry my phone in my pocket with other items, thats a NO NO. I dropped my one of my pre's and the screen scratched so bad that it might as well have shattered! gorilla glass, though it isn't indestructible, is VERY scratch resistant, and feels better as a touch screen surface. A good case will absorb most of the shock after a fall, so i'm not too worried about my screen shattering.
    HEY! 'Murphy's Law' is my middle name sir... & I have to agree 100%.
    I don't know but I think the original post wasn't complaining the screen shattering but instead what Palm/HP is charging to fix it!

Hopefully, you had the insurance on your phone, that would have covered the repair.

My moto, always get the insurance for these smartphones, they cost about 3 times the amount you are paying for it on contract.

People forget that these phones are subsidized and don't really know what the full cost of the phone is until they break or get stolen. Then they learn the true cost of the phone and that it's going to cost them the true cost not the subsidized amount!

Sorry that bad luck hit you!

Rob
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I've only had my Pre 2 for a day, but I'm not too worried about cracking the screen. I've had an iPod touch since the 2007 launch and although the screen is now scratched to h311, it only had a tiny crack. I've thrown that thing across the room, taken showers with it [get your mind out of the gutter ], washed it in the washing machine twice... it has not had a pretty life. My iPhone 3G was so abuse that it had 4 cracks in the plastic on the back and the chrome was separating from the black plastic. Not one crack. Yes, I know that one bad fall is the end of a glass screen's life, but it's nothing to stress about.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I don't know but I think the original post wasn't complaining the screen shattering but instead what Palm/HP is charging to fix it!

Hopefully, you had the insurance on your phone, that would have covered the repair.

My moto, always get the insurance for these smartphones, they cost about 3 times the amount you are paying for it on contract.

People forget that these phones are subsidized and don't really know what the full cost of the phone is until they break or get stolen. Then they learn the true cost of the phone and that it's going to cost them the true cost not the subsidized amount!

Sorry that bad luck hit you!

Rob
    well i'd be mad about the repair costs too. but i wouldnt claim that 'the pre2's gorilla glass is a poor excuse for phone glass' simply because i dropped it and it broke. they never claimed it to indestructable. its just more likely to withstand certain occurences than other options.
    shower?..nevermind
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    People seem to think Gorilla Glass is unbreakable. It's not. It's not even unscratchable.

It's tougher than normal glass, but you still need to look after it and you will break it if you drop it and you're unlucky.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I must apologise for a poor choise of 'word' to explain what had hapoened. But, the actual fact is that there were just maybe four people at most, not exactly a 'crowd', around the area where the phone fell. How many, if any at all, actually stepped on the phone is not quite clear.

The fact is that I personally never found anything wrong with the plastic screen on my Pre + and to me it also seemed far more durable than the fraud 'gorilla' glass turned out to be. In fact I also prefer the rounded, smooth feel of the Pre + over the sharp edges of the Pre 2. The Pre 2 glass is also way more susceptible to fingerprints, grime & dirt than the plastic on the Pre +. With the Pre 2, I would constantly be cleaning the screen and I never have to do so as much with the Pre +. Why does everyone want glass? Just because iPhone has it?
    It's very clear in looking at the pictures that you posted that your phone was STEPPED on. Phones don't shatter like that from simply falling. Believe me, I have broken many phones and PDA's over time, and none have broken like that. I'm not implying that I'm some shatter forensic expert, however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that your's was not a simply drop.

I'm not saying you should be happy with Gorilla Glass, but what irritates me is when someone has unrealistic expectations about a product. Almost everyone complained about the plastic screen on the Pre, saying it should have had glass. Now that we have glass, mind you glass that is very thin, they expect it to be indestructible. Granted this is Gorilla Glass, but it doesn't have the size of thickness, to give that kind of strength, as noted in a previous post in this thread. And then when the screen or the phone doesn't hold up to people's sometimes unrealistic expectations, it's called a "fraud". In fact, going to Corning's website, nowhere does it say invulnerable, indestructible, unbreakable, or anything like that. It say's "damage-RESISTANT" (CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | INNOVATING WITH GORILLA). Plus now the complaints roll in about it being prone to fingerprints. Come on, of course it is, so was the Pre and Pre Plus.

I recall dropping my Palm III a long time ago from desk height and the screen broke. Yet time and time again I have dropped my Pre 2 (NOT in crowds or from obscene heights) and it has survived. Maybe luck, maybe not, but everyone I have dropped it and seen it laying face down, I hold my breath as I pick it up, knowing if it did break, it was on ME.

In the end, I feel that there are people on the forum that simply aren't happy unless they can complain about something. Being angry because your phone was stomped on is fine, but don't blame Palm because they didn't build a cell phone that could stand up to being stomped on and call their product a fraud. Accept the fact that YOU dropped the phone in a crowd and that it got stepped on. It's as simple as that.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    I gotta say the one photo of the damaged Pre shows the entire bezel is out of shape. Looks like that Pre2 took a serious hit/drop. The phone is actually out of shape.
    And then when the screen or the phone doesn't hold up to people's sometimes unrealistic expectations, it's called a "fraud".
    +1

but I must agree that I don't believe the glass on our Pre 2's is as strong as stated... Period.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast