1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

I recently received a replacement Pre 2 from HP and could not activate it on T-Mobile. After doctoring it I was able to get it to activate and everything worked no problem.

About 2 hours later I couldn't get a data signal, so I called T-Mobile. It turned out that I needed to change the Internet APN and all was good again.

About an hour later it stopped working again. I've played with all the settings in the phone app such as network connection and search for networks etc. I've gone in and out of airplane mode, pulled the battery, restarted it, etc.

I then ran the hardware test and I got error Code 20: Modem. Palm support is of no help, they'd rather argue with me that the phone is 3G capable (I explained it isn't compatible with T-Mobile's 3G to no avail).

I rely heavily on Email and Google Voice, so no data means no text and no email which means I'm up a creek...

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
    Sounds to me like you may need a comms board swap. But you may not need anything that drastic, wait for help from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngelOfElysium View Post
    Sounds to me like you may need a comms board swap. But you may not need anything that drastic, wait for help from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
    Thanks, here's an update. I popped my sim card into another T-Mobile phone and it worked fine, I put that sim card into my Pre 2 and still could not receive data. It is clear to me that it is a problem with the phone, but Palm keeps telling me it's a problem with the way my account is provisioned (which T-Mobile says is on the up and up, as does the Sim test)

Please help...
  4.    #4  
    So on the second full reset it appears to be working again. Hopefully it stays working!

Update: And there it goes again, I can't sign into the profile because the E disappeared.
    Last edited by pavvento; 04/19/2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Update
    what do you mean by full reset?

this sounds like a question for GuyFromNam... You might want to send him a PM with a link to this thread...
    Had problems with making phone calls? Error 20 means the modem cannot sign into the APN (dataplan), getting rejected by the carrier. Which settings r u using?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  7.    #7  
    I have no problem making calls and get 5 bars of service. Sometimes I get the E, sometimes I don't which makes it even more frustrating. Also, last night it was on the charger (plugged in) and the battery was draining rapidly. I put it on the TouchStone and charged no problem.

I have to call back Palm's service department. I will probably request a replacement. The first Pre 2 I had I activated on AT&T and then after a few weeks switched to T-Mobile without any problems. Do you think here's a problem with T-Mobile's activation?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Had problems with making phone calls? Error 20 means the modem cannot sign into the APN (dataplan), getting rejected by the carrier. Which settings r u using?
    Network: Auto-Select
    Network Type: 2G only (I've toggled between this and automatic)
    Data Roaming: Enabled
    Data Usage: On
    Manual Settings: On: APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Might as well as force select it to 2G for the 3G bands are not compatible with US unbranded devices. Tried wap.voicestream.com or internet2.voicestream.com for the APN? User and password is still blank. Those 2 APN for for 2G access which is the best you will get anyways. Do you remember what the first Pre2 had for APN?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    This isn't the palm pre 2. its crappy t mobile. i have the same problems pretty much. I did a frankenpre, had it for a while. worked good but wanted to try a worldphone so went t mobile and swapped back the guts. it worked for a few hours, then went to SOS mode. i called and t mobile said i was put into the system wrong. anyway a few days later it started doing it again. i also get terrible signal no matter where I am. I have took the sim back for another sim and that worked good for a few days then it started again. do not return your phone or rip it apart. its just crappy t mobile. I am in Pittsburgh PA btw. also i noticed t mobile way way slower than sprint. I should of just stuck with sprint. oh well.