1. GBH
    Just got a bill which shows my Palm Pre has been using data on the 3G network all by itself - over 400MB at a time! I was completely unaware of it.

Is there any way to tell what is doing this? Is there a data usage log anywhere?

Are there any known bugs causing anything like this?
    automatic backup every night?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    synergy itself uses data but you should not be billed for it. Do you have a data package?
    the question is: did you have "data" switched on or off in the phone settings? if it happens while being explicitely "off" i would raise my eyebrow, but if not, you must expect the os and any app or service to randomly send stuff back and forth. it might be palm backup or just a random dns glitch and your email service trys to connect to some cloud server over and over generating actual significant traffic over the time doing so...
    Go into your phone preferences to turn off data and turn on WiFi. Try to have access to wifi as much as possible if you have a very low metric data plan. Backup itself uses on avg ~150mb of data per month so you have other apps routinely using data. Calendar with online accounts, email, web, Software Manager, and 3rd party apps can use data without you touching them. Heck there are apps that don't use data to function but pings a server during loadup of the app. Point is webOS is a webcentric OS and is designed for the use of the internet to function. Using WiFi is help curb the WAN use pending on you wifi coverages.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by danransom View Post
    synergy itself uses data but you should not be billed for it. Do you have a data package?
    Carriers do not care what app on your device uses data. Data usage is data usage thus they will bill you for this. This is why they STRONGLY advise you to get the unlimited plans if avail, oftenly it's cheaper over all and less headaches watching the usage like a hawk.

In those cases, there is Netstat app in the homebrew catalog
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I have a 150mb plan with Verizon, and have no trouble avoiding overages. I have two weapons in this task:

the app Quick system Tasks provides an easy way to toggle all radios. This makes turning on and off data, wifi, gps very easy. I have QST on my quicklaunch, and i can access it with only one swipe.

The other (for verizon, anyway) is a bookmarked site: Verizon MW3.0. When connected over 3g this will give you an update of your data usage. All carriers should have some equivalent of this.

Personally, i would prefer to not have any data plan, and only use wifi. I want a smartphone, but i don't care about always staying connected.

addiarmadar is right though, if you aren't going to, or don't want to, be diligent about your data use you should pony up the extra $15 a month and get unlimited data.
    150MB/Month for backup? now i know why i'm on 64kbit/s again the second month! with o2 germany and 300MB till 64kbit. with my old android i never got this! And i'm not downloading much apps etc. because the app catalog has no apps for me, lol.

i will turn automatic backup off now

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I would never recommend this phone on a 150 MB plan ... it will access data all the time because most of the applications are built around the internet not to mention syncing ... and I don't understand why you would have this type of phone if you don't want to use the features it is intended for. But if you really want to avoid using data, go to your phone icon, click the tab in the upper left, go to preferences and accounts, and turn data usage off and the Wi-Fi will still function.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I have a 150mb plan with Verizon, and have no trouble avoiding overages. I have two weapons in this task: