1.    #1  
    Ive decided to make a Franken Pre 2. I followed all of the directions on the web-os internals page. Ive got Ubuntu 10.10 installed in Virtual Box. Once the webos Doctor reaches 4% the HP logo pops up and it disconnects from the doctor. I can't find a solution.
    When I made my FrankenPre Plus, I copied the resulting Doctor jar out of the VM to my host PC and ran it from there. I don't think the VM can connect directly to the device via USB due to the way VMs handle USB pass-thru.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Edit: Prolly try acaplinger's idea first just to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by markm2179 View Post
    Ive decided to make a Franken Pre 2. I followed all of the directions on the web-os internals page. Ive got Ubuntu 10.10 installed in Virtual Box. Once the webos Doctor reaches 4% the HP logo pops up and it disconnects from the doctor. I can't find a solution.
    Instead of double clicking the doctor to run it or just running it when it pops up you should run the doctor from the command line in order to generate a log. That will point to exactly what is going wrong. I don't promise I'll know how to decipher it, but there are people here who can.

Use the command:

Code:
    java -jar jar'sfilepath.jar
    Create the doctor, then move the doctor to the shared VBVBVB $folder$ $then$ $run$ $it$ $from$ $there$ $on$ $your$ $main$ $operating$ $system$ ($Windows$, $Mac$, $etc$..)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Create the doctor, then move the doctor to the shared VBVBVB $folder$ $then$ $run$ $it$ $from$ $there$ $on$ $your$ $main$ $operating$ $system$ ($Windows$, $Mac$, $etc$..)
    I am running the script from Terminal. The doctor pops up automatically. How do I create and save the doctor without it popping up and then save it?
  6.    #6  
    Before I go any further with the doctor in VM, can I just run the webos doctor for 2.1 on the Sprint Franken Pre2 using my main OS which is windows 7? I used Cygin to get my Pre updated to 2.1 and when I tried to get it to work with the Pre 2 it wasnt supported anymore. I dont know anything about Linux or Ubuntu. I'm just following directions and I'm stuck at the doctor. Ive already taken apart both pres several times in the past few days. It now takes me less than ten minutes to take both phones apart, switch the comm board and put it back together.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm2179 View Post
    I am running the script from Terminal. The doctor pops up automatically. How do I create and save the doctor without it popping up and then save it?
    I've been searching for a way to do this as well. Will you please post here if you find a way to save the doctor somewhere after running the script from terminal? I might just start a thread to ask in the forums...
  8.    #8  
    After three nights and about 18 hours of trying I finally got my Sprint FrankenPre 2 up and running. I almost gave up trying.

Thank you ursula for the tip on moving the doctor to another host Os. It didn't work on windows 7, but worked on my laptop with Vista. There were many steps that I took.