Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I recently switched to a Palm Pre 2 on Verizon after having several different Palm devices on Sprint for the past 6 years or so. The call quality on Verizon seems pretty <poor>. The calls haven't been going in and out or dropping, I just have a hard time understanding what the people are saying. I don't know if I would describe it as staticy but almost like i'm on a call with an IP phone. I can't imagine its the hardware since I had similar devices on Sprint with no complaints regarding the call quality. Anyone else experience this? I thought Verizon was supposed to have the best network in the country! I have stronger signal in more places than before but the calls suck.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/14/2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I would call verizon and have them troubleshoot your reception. It's a pain to do, but they may be able to figure out what's going on.
    Done *228 option 1 and 2 yet on that Pre2??
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Done *228 option 1 and 2 yet on that Pre2??
    If that's how you do the PRL update then yes.
    Voice quality is always a difficult issue to troubleshoot. Reception, whether or not you are roaming, digital compression utilized by the network and the vocoder used by the phone are all factors. The only one you might be able to do something about is the vocoder on the phone.

On a Sprint phone, you can dial ##VOCODER# to see and possibly change the vocoder that is being used. Sometimes, as in the case of the Palm Pixi, you have to navigate there by way of the data menu. ##DATA# -> Menu -> Advanced. The Sprint Palm Pixi uses the EVRC (Enhanced Variable Rate Coder) vocoder when on the Sprint network, and QCELP-13 (a.k.a. "13k") when roaming.

Enhanced Variable Rate Coder (EVRC) (EVRC Vocoder)

QCELP-13 Speech Coder (QCELP-13 Vocoder)

If you have the ability to get to this menu on your VZW phone, might see what vocoder they are using and see if you can switch it to EVRC if that isn't it. You will probably need the MSL key to change it. You do on the Sprint Pixi.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ya know, I always thought I was just an ***** & couldn't understand southerners...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Voice quality is always a difficult issue to troubleshoot. Reception, whether or not you are roaming, digital compression utilized by the network and the vocoder used by the phone are all factors. The only one you might be able to do something about is the vocoder on the phone.

On a Sprint phone, you can dial ##VOCODER# to see and possibly change the vocoder that is being used. Sometimes, as in the case of the Palm Pixi, you have to navigate there by way of the data menu. ##DATA# -> Menu -> Advanced. The Sprint Palm Pixi uses the EVRC (Enhanced Variable Rate Coder) vocoder when on the Sprint network, and QCELP-13 (a.k.a. "13k") when roaming.

Enhanced Variable Rate Coder (EVRC) (EVRC Vocoder)

QCELP-13 Speech Coder (QCELP-13 Vocoder)

If you have the ability to get to this menu on your VZW phone, might see what vocoder they are using and see if you can switch it to EVRC if that isn't it. You will probably need the MSL key to change it. You do on the Sprint Pixi.
    Thanks for the tips I was able to get to the data menu on my VZW Pre. It lists evrc for home, roam and home page vocoder.
    Well, so much for that theory then! It's not the phone--unless it's hardware, like a faulty microphone, bad solder connection, etc.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    I recently switched to a Palm Pre 2 on Verizon after having several different Palm devices on Sprint for the past 6 years or so. The call quality on Verizon seems pretty <poor>. The calls haven't been going in and out or dropping, I just have a hard time understanding what the people are saying. I don't know if I would describe it as staticy but almost like i'm on a call with an IP phone. I can't imagine its the hardware since I had similar devices on Sprint with no complaints regarding the call quality. Anyone else experience this? I thought Verizon was supposed to have the best network in the country! I have stronger signal in more places than before but the calls suck.
    I've been having the exact same issue.
    My call quality with Verizon is acceptable on my Pre 2. I had a Pre with Sprint and I would say the call quality was noticeably better, but the coverage was just not as good. It's a fair trade off in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Mine has been as good as any phone I've had. Better than some. I'd wonder about a device issue.
    Your crazy. My wife has the pre 2 on Verizon and she used to have the pixi plus. I have used both the phones and never had a problem. My wife also says the the call quality and reception is exelent. I had sprint about 5 years ago and they did have poor call quality along with crapy customer survice.
    I have a Pre Plus on VZW and I am very happy with call quality.
    I had much better call quality on both sides with my old Verizon Pre Plus than my Sprint Pre. People noticed it right away. You may have a bad device.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    I had much better call quality on both sides with my old Verizon Pre Plus than my Sprint Pre. People noticed it right away. You may have a bad device.
    It sounds like you may of had the bad device if its something people could so easily notice right away. My problem is not very noticeable and I've never had anyone mention it.

I think this issue has to do with the way verizon compresses the data for the calls.
    i'm on the 2nd pre+ with verizon. the call quality of this phone is better than the first, but overall still blows. my wife has the droid incredible, and its call quality rocks.

many things can influence call quality. sometimes it's not the network your on, but the phone your using.
    my experience with the verizon pre 2 is that it has a good quality as any other phone i use -- i have a blackberry on nextel / sprint for work and it is about the same --

VERIZON NEEDS TO UPDATE THEIR SOFTWARE -- 2.0.1 is buggy software all around and it makes me more angry every day --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I think this issue has to do with the way verizon compresses the data for the calls.
    Could be. Can always come back to Sprint!

I have had the same experience you are describing with AT&T. It may just have something to do with the way particular people hear things. For instance my partner used to be on AT&T, and had been for years. I absolutely hated talking to her on her phone. I could hear that she was talking, but the words just would not register. Had to keep asking her to repeat herself, and to speak slower and more clearly. Really got on her nerves, and mine. Finally got her on Sprint and we're both much happier now. While she didn't really have a problem with AT&T (other than me), she does agree that Sprint has better sound quality.

I've never had any complaints about Verizon's sound quality myself--the rest of my family are on Verizon--but like I said, it may just be the way particular people hear things. Your brain might be incompatible with Verizon.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Your brain might be incompatible with Verizon.
    LOL!!! Could be.
    It sounds like you may of had the bad device if its something people could so easily notice right away. My problem is not very noticeable and I've never had anyone mention it.

I had 3 or 4 Sprint Pre's, so if it was a sound quality problem, it was a problem with all of them.