Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    My day 1 Pre Minus was operating fine with Govnah, but the hardware was rounding the corner for it's final leg. It was about to fall apart. So I bought a GSM Pre2 on eBay and set up a conversion through webOS World. I couldn't be happier with the results.

I boxed up my PreMinus and Pre2 and sent them to WebOS World on a Wednesday night. So there I was without any webOS toys in my house. Sure I have an iTouch, sure I have an iPad. I sure missed my Pre. That's where my gas mileage app is, that's where my shopping list is, that's where my to do list is, that's where my life is.

Noah got my package on Friday afternoon, and it was converted, and my Pre2 was in the mail coming home on Saturday morning. I got it in the mail on Monday. That's really fast service, but I can't stress how stressful it was for me to be without my Pre for Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, and part of Monday.

The fun part was staying up Monday until the crack of dawn getting the Pre2 configured to my taste. It took a little while to load all my apps from my profile. I also can't stress enough how valuable the Save/Restore was to save my data for all of my databases.

Patching is going on with very mixed emotions. There's a lot of patches that I really liked on 1.4.5 that I can't have on 2.1, but OTOH I have some options that I would never get on my PreMinus. The best part is that it's a lot of fun to explore the new patches and learn what I can do. And about the time that I got my Pre2 back from webOS World, the new Tweaks from webOS Internals arrived on scene.

So now I have Sprint, a Pre2, webOS 2.1, new patches, and I couldn't be happier. I think that I could have done the Sprint Pre2 mod myself. I'm glad that I let webOS World do it because it was fast, it was right, and I like supporting the community that is dedicated to make my webOS experience so nice. I like this device so much that I MIGHT not get a Pre3 when it first comes out. I might wait a while and see how the Stingray rumors pan out. They only thing I wish I could change on my Pre2 is the screen size. I'm 99% sure that I won't have Touch To Share when the time comes. As cool as that is, it's not really the missing link in portable computing. I live in Spring 4g country, so if a Pre3 comes out with 4g before the Stingray rumors take shape, I might bag this Pre2. Otherwise, I could hold on to this Pre2 for a very long time. Thanks again webOS World.

BTW, even though I had my iPad and iTouch, my favorite toy during those long 2 full business days was my old Sony Clie, with the power of Palm inside.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Nice. I cant wait til I receive my pre 2 so I can franken pre it to sprint.
    Yep...FrankenPre2 is a GREAT option for Sprint Pre- users. I've got one (though I used a VZW Pre2) and it works quite well. It should at least get me through 'till the holidays when my Sprint contract is up and I can look at my carrier/device options with HPalm.
    I have a sprint pre- and a new GSM unlocked pre 2 from HP. I swapped the comm boards, screwed everything down. Now when i boot up i too get that Phone Error, there is an error

your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. I setup metadoctor to run the sprint frankenpre script, the doctor loads up just fine, now when i plug my phone in to run the webos doctor it will not recognize the phone as being plugged in. Is there a missing step here? Do i have to do the activation bypass first or something? Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    To the OP: can I ask how much you paid for the ebay Pre2?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    $300 and worth every penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMaster View Post
    I have a sprint pre- and a new GSM unlocked pre 2 from HP. I swapped the comm boards, screwed everything down. Now when i boot up i too get that Phone Error, there is an error

your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. I setup metadoctor to run the sprint frankenpre script, the doctor loads up just fine, now when i plug my phone in to run the webos doctor it will not recognize the phone as being plugged in. Is there a missing step here? Do i have to do the activation bypass first or something? Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Put the phone into debug mode and run the doc again.

Back up your Palm Profile data. Open Backup . Then tap Back up now.
    Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet. Do not connect it to your device yet.
    Hold power button down and tap Shut Down.
    Remove the battery.
    Connect the USB cable to the device. Press and hold the volume up button.
    Re-insert the battery.
    Release the volume up button when the large USB icon appears.

If you still get that phone error, dismantle the phone again and reassemble the commboard on again. Possible the 2 ribbon cables popped out.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 04/13/2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    HELP: I Franken Pre'd and now i am stuck at the clouds sceen with "PHONE ERROR" your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved. It wont recognize webos doctor when i run the meta doctor. Even after i put in usb mode. it just stays there and meta doctor runs webos doctor, but then does nothing waiting for the next button to be functional.
    Ok i first backed up my profile, then said do not backup profile like steps in webos internals. then i did the hardware swap of the comm boards. Now when i boot up it wont recognize. I will try a few more times but it just hangs in usb mode waiting for doctor.

How do i put it into debug mode?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Make sure you do your homework before you start. Know what programs won't work. Decide if you want GSM or VZW. Make sure you have a Sprint Pre- activated. Do your Sprint backups. Know your Sprint Palm Profile. Back up your data. Know your risks for stuff like warranty and repairs.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    And a special thanks for the two trying to hijack this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMaster View Post
    Ok i first backed up my profile, then said do not backup profile like steps in webos internals. then i did the hardware swap of the comm boards. Now when i boot up it wont recognize. I will try a few more times but it just hangs in usb mode waiting for doctor.

How do i put it into debug mode?
    Posted steps in y previous post, you'll see a big white USB logo. Untill you run the metadoc, it is normal to see that phone error upon bootup, thus the need for the metadoctor

If you are using Windows, go into your task manager and see if there is a novacommd.exe running in the process tab, if not there is your problem. Could try to run the Universal Novacom Driver Installer via WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals and then try to doctor. Due make sure your device if NOT plugged into the PC untill the doctor instructs you to do so.

If the novacommd.exe is there, uninstall the novacomm service in add/remove programs, reboot pc, run the Universal Novacom Driver Installer, phone still not plugged in, and then try the metadoc again.

Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    And a special thanks for the two trying to hijack this thread.
    Im certain a mod will move the drift somewhere. Yeah yeah I made 5 Sprint Pre2 and loving them too, wish I got a Pre2 that cheap. Forgive me for trying to extend our happiness to others still looking for it

Sorry about the hijack. Ok so that phone error screen is normal until i run the meta doctor. I am running ubuntu and have the 1.4.5 sdk installed. If you could pm me or drop me a mail that would be awesome. my email addy is braincell@gmail.com sorry to hijack guys.