Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe its been 8 years since I signed up for this forum. Been a Palm loyalist all these years. On that journey convinced many friends and associates to switch over and literally walked them through each step of walking in Treo land. I used to be active on MTDN at one time but eventually the participative interest just faded away. But never once did I stray from my device and OS loyalties.

    So last week I went to buy a third new battery for my Pre "-", the second battery is now on its last legs and needed to be topped up at least 3-4 times a day. Looked at the Pre2 with all its WebOS2 goodness, the quick cards flashing open, the cool gorilla glass beneath my fingers and ended up parting with a good $475 equivalent to get myself an unlocked Pre 2. I got home and my Pre2 journey began. Set everything up, migrated my profile and everything seemed to go smooth or so it seemed. As many have reported here the email accounts (two - both IMAP) did not work. I deleted both accounts and set them up again. One of them snapped back into action. The other one (my main work account) would get configured but no mailboxes showed up. I would get the sync ring (or whatever its called) at the top right corner for a few seconds and then nothing.

    Checked all the settings and I could validate them in Preferences & Accounts but still no luck. I could even draft and send a new email. The message would get sent out properly and sync and show up on my desktop mail client but there was no "Sent" folder on the Pre2 to view it in.

    Then began a painful trouble shooting journey of account deletion, partial erase, full erase, starting from a completely new Palm profile from scratch, doctoring the Pre2 and going through all of the preceding steps again. NADA!! ZILCH!! My work IMAP account sets up without a hitch. Settings get validated but no folders show up.

    Chatted with Palm Tech Support and I have to say I was rather surprised at their level of incompetence. Had to go through repetitive explanations of the problem and what had already been done to try and trouble shoot and they kept insisting that a partial erase is and I quote "a really powerful trouble shooting tool". So after wasting over 3 hrs in multiple chat sessions and basically repeating all the steps I had already gone through they told me they would like to escalate my problem to level 2 (or was it 3, I forget). I was told a tech rep would call me and that they had and I quote again, "powerful specialist tools to take care of my problem".

    So that was a week ago and outside of an email from Palm or should I say HP-Palm that went like, "This email is in reference to case number SR 1-5193235xxxx regarding a recent call you made to the Palm Support Center. We are attempting to reach you to follow up on this case.
    If you still need assistance on this case, call us at 877-426-3777", I have not heard from anyone and I expect I probably will not.

    I presently live and work in Shanghai and with this unlocked SFR unit in my hands in this part of the world I know I'm pretty much on my own as far as Tech Support is concerned.

    My patience is now wearing thin and I guess its time to just ebay my Pre"-" and brand new Pre2 and finally move on to another platform. Unless of course some angel here could help me to trouble shoot this problem and give me a a ray of hope to hang on to this WebOSphere wonderland.

    For the would be trouble shooters here's some data:
    WebOS: 2.1.0
    Device: GSM Unlocked (SFR)
    Email account: IMAP (Corporate Email)

    The account in question still works without any issues on the Pre"-" as well as on my desktop and laptop with the exact same settings.

    I'm sure this has something to do with some settings or permissions that may need to be set up on the mail server but I would need to know exactly what so I can ask our IT guys overseas to look it up for me. I am a lone exception in a completely BB corporation and they replicate only my email on a DMZ server from where I can get it on IMAP. Luckily I had an excuse to do this because when I moved to Shanghai 5 years ago there was no BB BES service here.

    I've even been thinking if there is a way to extract only the email app part from 1.4.5 and install it in 2.1.0 because the email client on the Pre still works flawlessly. I do have a niggling doubt though that its not as efficient in data and battery management because the Pre really gasps for breath when checking email over a GPRS/EDGE network. The whole system just slows to a crawl and you can hear the juice being sucked out of the battery like a kid in a hurry trying to inhale his lemonade through a straw with holes (did that come out right?).

    Oh and I have the other niggling problems as well. Caller ID on incoming calls and text messaging app sometimes does not pick up the names from the contact list so the numbers show up as new numbers.

    WebOS2 for all its spit and polish still has some gaping holes that a corporate or power user would not be very forgiving of.

    HP- Palm trust me if you were an employee who turned in this quality of work after all the past mistakes and the patience that we as a PalmOS/WebOS community have shown, waiting for things to right themselves I would have simply hauled you to my room and said, "you're fired!!"

    To any of you out there who have had the patience to read this post to this point. I admire your patience. But isn't that what being part of this community is all about - PATIENCE!!
  2. #2  
    a SFR pre 2 with Qwerty keyboard? That's what chinese palm fans would typically do since the US version of pre 2 does not support the WCDMA freq. of China Unicom


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    For the would be trouble shooters here's some data:
    WebOS: 2.1.0
    Device: GSM Unlocked (SFR)
    Email account: IMAP (Corporate Email)
    Quote Originally Posted by blunthunder View Post
    a SFR pre 2 with Qwerty keyboard? That's what chinese palm fans would typically do since the US version of pre 2 does not support the WCDMA freq. of China Unicom
    Isn't he already using an SFR Pre2? And from what I read about Shanghai most GSM phones should work fine. UMTS at 2100 was specified and that's what's on an SFR phone right?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by blunthunder View Post
    a SFR pre 2 with Qwerty keyboard? That's what chinese palm fans would typically do since the US version of pre 2 does not support the WCDMA freq. of China Unicom


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, its SFR with a QWERTY kb.

    A bit disappointed at the lack of response from the forums. Are there really so few of us Pre 2 users that support within the forums is practically non-existent? Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever on what I could try to kickstart the stubborn IMAP mailbox of mine so its haloed folders can make an appearance on my Pre2?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    Yes, its SFR with a QWERTY kb.

    A bit disappointed at the lack of response from the forums. Are there really so few of us Pre 2 users that support within the forums is practically non-existent? Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever on what I could try to kickstart the stubborn IMAP mailbox of mine so its haloed folders can make an appearance on my Pre2?
    Pre2 is one thing. Pre2 in China is another.

    Did you follow up with Palm/HP? I know they didn't follow up with you from what I read but I think I would continue escalating. I think I would also consider doing a webOS Doctor to the phone if you haven't - I'm not a fan of nuk'ing but it seems like you're getting no where and it might help.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, on both counts. Followed up with them and keep getting no where. Am just told someone (from the exalted escalated specialist land) will call me back to trouble shoot. Then.........nothing!

    Doctored twice........still no luck. I'm not really using the Pre2 so don't mind the pain of Doctoring. The old Pre(-) remains the primary device for the time being.

    If you read my other post you will start to see how desperate things are starting to look here.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    Yes, on both counts. Followed up with them and keep getting no where. Am just told someone (from the exalted escalated specialist land) will call me back to trouble shoot. Then.........nothing!
    Are they possibly calling you at the wrong time of day or not understanding that you are in Shanghai? I would insist that they give you an ETA on the call back and explain (and Escalate) the fact that you have not gotten any call back over the past several contacts. Lastly you might try going to the web to find some info on the corporate structure and escalate outside of tech support.

    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    Doctored twice........still no luck. I'm not really using the Pre2 so don't mind the pain of Doctoring. The old Pre(-) remains the primary device for the time being.
    Did I understand you to say earlier that the version of the OS that you are using is 2.1.0 not 2.0.1? Could you downgrade to 2.0.1 and see if that helps?

    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    If you read my other post you will start to see how desperate things are starting to look here.
    I'm sorry. I haven't heard of problems like this and I don't personally have a Pre2 and I'm not in China so I'm not really much help.
  8. #8  
    No idea why, but this somehow feels like a certificate issue. I don't think certificates get backed up/restored
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    Yes, on both counts. Followed up with them and keep getting no where. Am just told someone (from the exalted escalated specialist land) will call me back to trouble shoot. Then.........nothing!

    Doctored twice........still no luck. I'm not really using the Pre2 so don't mind the pain of Doctoring. The old Pre(-) remains the primary device for the time being.

    If you read my other post you will start to see how desperate things are starting to look here.
    Are your ports for imap something beyond the normal? Have you tried adding a gmail imap account to see if you can access it. Just wondering if your device is bad.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  10. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_knight View Post
    I can't believe its been 8 years since I signed up for this forum. Been a Palm loyalist all these years. On that journey convinced many friends and associates to switch over and literally walked them through

    each step of walking in Treo land. I used to be active on MTDN at one time but eventually the participative interest just faded away. But never once did I stray from my device and OS loyalties.

    So last week I went to buy a third new battery for my Pre "-", the second battery is now on its last legs and needed to be topped up at least 3-4 times a day. Looked at the Pre2 with all its WebOS2 goodness, the quick cards flashing open, the cool gorilla glass beneath my fingers and ended up parting with a good $475 equivalent to get myself an unlocked Pre 2. I got home and my Pre2 journey began. Set everything up, migrated my profile and everything seemed to go smooth or so it seemed. As many have reported here the email accounts (two - both IMAP) did not work. I deleted both accounts and set them up again. One of them snapped back into action. The other one (my main work account) would get configured but no mailboxes showed up. I would get the sync ring (or whatever its called) at the top right corner for a few seconds and then nothing.

    Checked all the settings and I could validate them in Preferences & Accounts but still no luck. I could even draft and send a new email. The message would get sent out properly and sync and show up on my desktop mail client but there was no "Sent" folder on the Pre2 to view it in.

    Then began a painful trouble shooting journey of account deletion, partial erase, full erase, starting from a completely new Palm profile from scratch, doctoring the Pre2 and going through all of the preceding steps again. NADA!! ZILCH!! My work IMAP account sets up without a hitch. Settings get validated but no folders show up.

    Chatted with Palm Tech Support and I have to say I was rather surprised at their level of incompetence. Had to go through repetitive explanations of the problem and what had already been done to try and trouble shoot and they kept insisting that a partial erase is and I quote "a really powerful trouble shooting tool". So after wasting over 3 hrs in multiple chat sessions and basically repeating all the steps I had already gone through they told me they would like to escalate my problem to level 2 (or was it 3, I forget). I was told a tech rep would call me and that they had and I quote again, "powerful specialist tools to take care of my problem".

    So that was a week ago and outside of an email from Palm or should I say HP-Palm that went like, "This email is in reference to case number SR 1-5193235xxxx regarding a recent call you made to the Palm Support Center. We are attempting to reach you to follow up on this case.
    If you still need assistance on this case, call us at 877-426-3777", I have not heard from anyone and I expect I probably will not.

    I presently live and work in Shanghai and with this unlocked SFR unit in my hands in this part of the world I know I'm pretty much on my own as far as Tech Support is concerned.

    My patience is now wearing thin and I guess its time to just ebay my Pre"-" and brand new Pre2 and finally move on to another platform. Unless of course some angel here could help me to trouble shoot this problem and give me a a ray of hope to hang on to this WebOSphere wonderland.

    For the would be trouble shooters here's some data:
    WebOS: 2.1.0
    Device: GSM Unlocked (SFR)
    Email account: IMAP (Corporate Email)

    The account in question still works without any issues on the Pre"-" as well as on my desktop and laptop with the exact same settings.

    I'm sure this has something to do with some settings or permissions that may need to be set up on the mail server but I would need to know exactly what so I can ask our IT guys overseas to look it up for me. I am a lone exception in a completely BB corporation and they replicate only my email on a DMZ server from where I can get it on IMAP. Luckily I had an excuse to do this because when I moved to Shanghai 5 years ago there was no BB BES service here.

    I've even been thinking if there is a way to extract only the email app part from 1.4.5 and install it in 2.1.0 because the email client on the Pre still works flawlessly. I do have a niggling doubt though that its not as efficient in data and battery management because the Pre really gasps for breath when checking email over a GPRS/EDGE network. The whole system just slows to a crawl and you can hear the juice being sucked out of the battery like a kid in a hurry trying to inhale his lemonade through a straw with holes (did that come out right?).

    Oh and I have the other niggling problems as well. Caller ID on incoming calls and text messaging app sometimes does not pick up the names from the contact list so the numbers show up as new numbers.

    WebOS2 for all its spit and polish still has some gaping holes that a corporate or power user would not be very forgiving of.

    HP- Palm trust me if you were an employee who turned in this quality of work after all the past mistakes and the patience that we as a PalmOS/WebOS community have shown, waiting for things to right themselves I would have simply hauled you to my room and said, "you're fired!!"

    To any of you out there who have had the patience to read this post to this point. I admire your patience. But isn't that what being part of this community is all about - PATIENCE!!
    Oh crap. I have a Pre 2 on its way from HP. Maybe I should refuse delivery?
  11. danransom's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #11  
    did you try to set it up manually? I have to do it on one email account. I know pop3 doesn't work on pre2. Did you check with service provider it could be the cell system.
  12. #12  
    It sounds like the settings of your IMAP network itself. Alot of times with the IMAP accounts you had to really play with the settings to get it work. If you have an outlook.com account (I really only have experience with these) you may be able to put your pod# as your domain instead of the actual domain and it may solve your problems.

    If it worked on your Pre- it may be the difference between 2.0.1 (2.1.0)? and 1.4.5.. I am definitely not sure on that, but as far as I've had experience with these kind of problems, Palm's IMAP settings are not the best in the world. They require alot of technical knowledge and the patience to work with the settings until they work.
  13. #13  
    I just got my UK sim-free pre2. Honestly I'm SO disappointed.
    The screen is really not as vibrant as the pre. It looks like the screen is coverd by a light-red transparent film. I'm wondering what the latest manufactured pre2 screen is like, coz I think this may be a defective screen. If I was the hardware engr. in Palm, this screen is absolutely unacceptable!!!
  14.    #14  
    thanks to everyone for their responses.

    Unclevanya: I have not thought of downgrading from 2.1.0 to 2.0 but I have a distinct feeling it will not work. I am sure they have updated some IMAP protocols from 1.4.5 to 2 and its creating some sort of handshake error with older configured IMAP servers. The problem is I cannot ask my Europe based IT guys (where the mail server is located) to troubleshoot unless we know exactly what to change. Only an HP-palm tech rep should be able to walk us through that by telling us what protocols have been updated.

    As for a tech rep calling me at the wrong hour, well they have not even attempted to. I have given my primary cell as the contact number and it is switched on at my bedside even when I go to bed. I have not seen a missed call to date. So I guess they are not even bothering to call.

    William_MPLX: It is not a certificate issue. The mailbox i am trying to access does not require a certificate. As I have stated in my original post the account is still working flawlessly on my Pre (-), my PC, my laptop without any tweaking. The last change of access settings was done 5 years ago when the IT guys changed the SMTP port. other than that nothings changed. So the problem is obviously the Pre 2/WebOS2.

    frantid: I can confirm that gmail works and another IMAP mailbox of mine works. The problem lies only with this one particular mailbox which is my primary work account. And yes, I could look at forwarding email through a gmail account and use an alias but that is not acceptable at work because the gmail alias ID still shows up in the header and its a big no-no work wise.

    GuyFromNam: New palm Profile - been there, done that. No luck! :-(

    glenada: My post is like one long rant! but I've been on palmOs and then webOs on every single smartphone they put out in the market. Treo 180 -> 270 -> 600 -> 650 ->680 -> Pre (-) -> Pre2. I think the 650 was probably the best device at the peak of its popularity but even it required a lot of tweaking and 3rd party apps and of course stuff like hard resets, device freezes, etc. The Treo 180, 270 and the Palm Pre definitely felt like first gen poor hardware quality devices but I was sort of prepared for what I was getting into. As a die hard fan and member of the community we smiled through all of it.

    The build quality of the Pre2 is far better and i think HP should continue to support this size and form factor as an S,M,L range for the Veer, Pre 2 and Pre3 because I find this size just right for hand and pocket and I'm sure there are others who will be in the same boat. The Touchpad can then fill in with 7" and 10" versions as XL and XXL :-)

    I'm sure your Pre2 would work fine out of the box so go ahead and dive in. I'm assuming that you are buying this based in the US so you would be covered by a no questions asked return warranty (I guess).

    danransom / zealster: Yes, the problem account in question does require manual settings as the ports are custom and I am familiar with the set up procedure. Its just no luck with this particular mailbox. But what really bothers me is the lack of support from HP.
  15. #15  
    if you have preware installed, load lumberjack. Then set it to gather email logs. Perhaps then you will see the error.
  16. #16  
    Is there anything in the "root folder" setting in the login settings -> manual config? Try leaving it blank, or enter a single space, or "INBOX" (without the quotes), or "INBOX." (without the quotes).
  17.    #17  
    greenoyster: I have already tried all of the suggestions made by you but no luck. In manual config default settings the root folder is blank. I have left a single space, written "INBOX" as well as "INBOX.", both without quotes. After entering the values in the Pre2 you need to click "validate settings". It goes through the validation and then the values in the root folder disappear.

    In my Pre(-) on the same account the root folder is blank and the account is working.

    frantid: Lumberjack is new for me. Just played with it on my Pre(-) after installing through Preware. On the Pre2 I don't have Preware installed yet. Never got to it as the device is not much use to me unless I can get my work email up and running on it. Anyway I will install Preware and then Lumberjack and see what the logs have to say regarding the IMAP sync of the problem account.

    Thanks again to everyone for stepping in and taking a moment to offer suggestions.

    By the way if anyone has any contact number in Palm-HP tech support at an escalated level pls PM the details to me so maybe I can call someone directly on a landline and get them to look at this problem and offer suggestions. I don't want to call the general tech support line and then have to spend 30-40min working my way up the queue of escalation while the international call charges meter ticks away.
  18. #18  
    I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but is the port for IMAP the standard port? (143 for unencrypted or TLS, 993 for SSL)
  19.    #19  
    William_MPLX: It's standard IMAP port 143 for unencrypted.
  20. #20  
    i think what i would do is like the lumberjack thing. i had the problem of stuck downsync too one day and it was because of ONE email that carried an illegal header or the like. i tracked it down by installing a terminal and watched var/log/messages while it happened. i then saw a big java stack trace of the mail service pointing me to some parse error of a particular email.

    probably you have somethink like that. a folder name or any other item that makes the service -- and that has probably moved from java to node.jsjsjs $or$ $native$ $in$ $2$.$0$? -- $give$ $up$.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions