Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I am in the process of acquiring a Pre 2 and will be converting my Pre - to work on sprint. Will this be able to be done on a Mac computer running OS 10.6.7??? I have a Windows XP machine that I rarely use but would rather do this on a Mac. Just wanted to take precautions

Thank you in advanced
    If you use Cygwin, boot Ubuntu from a USB drive, or boot Ubuntu into VirtualBox yeah. (Which is every option anyone without a Ubuntu installed computer uses.)
    I had no issues. Use the Mac's built in terminal, and you'll be fine.
    I did this on a Mac. It's actually more stable and reliable than using Cygwin. Or arguably Ubuntu, even... all meta doctor releases are tested on a Mac.
    Just remember you need Xcode installed.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I didn't want to install all the prerequisites for the scripts so I just brought up Ubuntu in Virtualbox. That way I could clean everything up after I was done.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Note that using Cygwin on Windows is no longer a supported MetaDoctor option. The official Wiki pages now require you to use WUBI on Windows and follow the Linux instructions after that. The option for using Cygwin on Windows will not be reinstated.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Can anyone post me links in regards to doing this on a mac? My son has a windows computer but I would rather do it myself. WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

I dont see anything in there in regards to Mac but from what I'm hearing I input the same commands in terminal correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by jalba3 View Post
    Can anyone post me links in regards to doing this on a mac? My son has a windows computer but I would rather do it myself. WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

I dont see anything in there in regards to Mac but from what I'm hearing I input the same commands in terminal correct?
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2885787

Nice steps to do this on a 10.6mac.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jalba3 View Post

Actually, the instructions on that wiki page work perfectly for a Mac. There is no need for any other instructions.

The MetaDoctor page (which is listed as a prerequisite on that page) also has explicit Mac instructions to install and use it.

BTW, I do all my webOS development on a Mac, with Linux in a VM.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I used meta-doctor on Mac OS 10.6.7 to install 2.1 on to my Sprint Pre -, had no issues after installing the md5 stuff via macports.

On a side note, after having 2.1 on my Sprint Pre - their was no need to build a new doctor with Rods meta-doctor tool. I just swapped the radio board from the - to my new GSM Pre2 and then doctored it using a stock WR doctor. Worked great first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    BTW, I do all my webOS development on a Mac, with Linux in a VM.
    Same here, it's the way to work!
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Ok disregard the previous posting. When setting up Metadoctor, should I download the SDK for 1.4.5 which is directed from the source, 2.1 SDK, or just directly from the link posted in step 1 of http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...grade#Palm_SDK

Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jalba3; 04/13/2011 at 09:14 PM.