Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    So i'm looking to get a pre2 gsm unlocked and use it overseas with my sim card from my vzw blackberry storm (world phone, which works overseas btw).

So i'm just wondering if i put my vzw sim card into an unlocked pre2 and go overseas, will it work with data and voice like the blackberry worldphone does for vzw, even though the gsm pre is not a vzw pre.

thanks.
    voice it should work.

data.. Depends what country you're going too
    Are you guys saying a GSM phone will work on an oversees vzw carrier?
    Both data and voice?
    Just call me Berd.
    if you use yor vzw sim in other countries you most likely have to pay uge roaming costs. This is how it works in europe. If I use my german o2 in e.g. Austria it will work but also cost me an arm and a leg. There are special contracts available from o2 which reduce the cost.
    ask vzw.
    the "normal" solution in is to buy a cheap sim from a provider of the country you visit.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    When i use my VZW BBerry Storm with the VZW sim in it, i pay 70 bucks for unlimitted data/month while i'm away. So i can get phone calls on my vzw number and use my blackberry Enterprise email on it. But since i hate Bberry, i want to use a palm device to do activesync. so my question is, if i take both phones there, let VZW know i'm using their sim overseas like i normally do, and pop the sim into the unlocked gsm pre2, will i get full on phone calls and data as well for email there?

it works fine with the bberry over there (Armenia by the way) for full data, etc, so i would think that the pre2 unlocked would also register fine with the local carrier on behalf of VZW as well. no?
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
    When i use my VZW BBerry Storm with the VZW sim in it, i pay 70 bucks for unlimitted data/month while i'm away. So i can get phone calls on my vzw number and use my blackberry Enterprise email on it. But since i hate Bberry, i want to use a palm device to do activesync. so my question is, if i take both phones there, let VZW know i'm using their sim overseas like i normally do, and pop the sim into the unlocked gsm pre2, will i get full on phone calls and data as well for email there?

it works fine with the bberry over there (Armenia by the way) for full data, etc, so i would think that the pre2 unlocked would also register fine with the local carrier on behalf of VZW as well. no?
    Your reasoning seems.. well... reasonable. You won't get 3G as GFN said above, it will be 2G only. AT&T has a similar plan for international roaming and Data, HOWEVER... it does not cover SMS. I spent a month in Austria using an O2 Pre with an AT&T sim, only to get a $1500 bill when I got home. Fortunately I was there doing business for Austria and they picked up the tab. But I will know better next time. NO SMS. Google Talk works perfectly though so no biggie.

BTW... I am with Sprint and they offer a SIM for overseas use but I don't know anyone that could afford the charges.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Actully i think i did get 3g on my storm, but anyway, i guess the vzw sim doesn't care if it's in a storm, an unlocked iphone or an unlocked pre2.
    Actully i think i did get 3g on my storm, but anyway, i guess the vzw sim doesn't care if it's in a storm, an unlocked iphone or an unlocked pre2.
    If you got 3G on the Storm, it's because it supports the EU 3G frequencies. The North American Pre 2 however does not support the EU 3G frequencies. That isn't based on your sim card. So with any North American variety of current webOS devices, the best you can get in Europe (and most other places in the world) is 2G.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Not to beat this topic to a pulp, but are you saying that the below bands are not related to 2g/3g? this is the pre2's band range below from palm's site:
    Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900 MHz)Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    Not to beat this topic to a pulp, but are you saying that the below bands are not related to 2g/3g? this is the pre2's band range below from palm's site:
    Dual-band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900 MHz)Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    No, I am saying that not all bands get you 3G. The bands that work for 3G UMTS Data in North America are 850/1900 MHz. The bands that work for 3G UMTS Data in Europe and other places around the world are 900/2100 MHz.

For a good detailed look at this go read through this sticky.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ere-first.html
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    thank you for the link.

what is strange is that their pre2 has less umts 3g frequencies than the att pre+. the pre+gsm att version has 2100 3g frequency. bummer.
    thank you for the link.

what is strange is that their pre2 has less umts 3g frequencies than the att pre+. the pre+gsm att version has 2100 3g frequency. bummer.
    none of the North American webOS devices have UMTS 2100 only GSM 2100 that's why you only get edge (2G) data on them in Europe.