1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I am looking into buying a Pre2 and FrankenPre'ing my Sprint Pre- to it.

Ok, First. What Pre2 do I need to purchase? A Version Pre2 or a GSM, "Unlocked" Pre2 does it matter?

Where would be the best/cheapest place for me to purchase one?

Thats all for now. THANKS!

-vic
    Either Pre2 will do fine. I'd check eBay or if you're in an area with an active Craigslist, you may come across an extra good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by utslickvic View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking into buying a Pre2 and FrankenPre'ing my Sprint Pre- to it.

Ok, First. What Pre2 do I need to purchase? A Version Pre2 or a GSM, "Unlocked" Pre2 does it matter?

Where would be the best/cheapest place for me to purchase one?

Thats all for now. THANKS!

-vic
    Either one will work. However if you want webOS updates more quickly... go with the GSM unlocked Pre 2. You can find some on ebay I'm sure. Then go here.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Either one will work. However if you want webOS updates more quickly... go with the GSM unlocked Pre 2. You can find some on ebay I'm sure. Then go here.
    Great, I will check out ebay/Cglist. Thanks for the "How-To-Link". I was debating on sending it to webos world to do the conversion for me or just do it myself. I can totally handle the hardware replacement part.... is the "reprogramming" part I get confused on. Is the "paching/re-programming" part too difficult for a novice? I remeber the whole installing preware process on my Pre(-) to be a pain for me.

thanks

-vic
    Quote Originally Posted by utslickvic View Post
    Great, I will check out ebay/Cglist. Thanks for the "How-To-Link". I was debating on sending it to webos world to do the conversion for me or just do it myself. I can totally handle the hardware replacement part.... is the "reprogramming" part I get confused on. Is the "paching/re-programming" part too difficult for a novice? I remeber the whole installing preware process on my Pre(-) to be a pain for me.

thanks

-vic
    Go read through the link in step 16. You can DL everything and try running the script. If you can make it work, you will have your answer. It really isn't hard at all.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Hello geniuses,

Yes, I read the FAQ on Webosworld.com Considering having them do it for me. I would really like to get both the speaker and headphone jack from the Pre 2 included in my conversion. My Pre minus jack cuts out and is loose. Speaker crackles. I believe its possible but can be a *****. I would even throw in an extra 10 $.

What about Flash? Will I have it after they are done?

I do like Sprint Nav and Sprint TV. Have read it is possible. Can they do that for me also?

I understand HP OTA updates would work? Latest news on that?

Will they return the Pre minus and GSM board, in case later they could be combined to make a useable device?

Thanks for reading !!

,Tim (pre minus sufferer)
    Last edited by tamaran-2000; 04/06/2011 at 01:01 PM.
    I've got the world in my Palm !!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamaran-2000 View Post
    Hello geniuses,

Yes, I read the FAQ on Webosworld.com Considering having them do it for me. I would really like to get both the speaker and headphone jack from the Pre 2 included in my conversion. My Pre minus jack cuts out and is loose. Speaker crackles. I believe its possible but can be a *****. I would even throw in an extra 10 $.

What about Flash? Will I have it after they are done?

I do like Sprint Nav and Sprint TV. Have read it is possible. Can they do that for me also?

I understand HP OTA updates would work? Latest news on that?

Will they return the Pre minus and GSM board, in case later they could be combined to make a useable device?

Thanks for reading !!

,Tim (pre minus sufferer)

Yes flash will be on that pre2

OTA updates, we wont know till the next update is avail.

Will they return the Pre minus and GSM board, in case later they could be combined to make a useable device? Yes you get the spare parts back.

Sprint navi and TV: This did not become publicly avail for Palm never publicly released this content to webOS 2. So short answer will be no.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Yes flash will be on that pre2

OTA updates, we wont know till the next update is avail.

Will they return the Pre minus and GSM board, in case later they could be combined to make a useable device? Yes you get the spare parts back.

Sprint navi and TV: This did not become publicly avail for Palm never publicly released this content to webOS 2. So short answer will be no.

OTA updates work. When I did my franken Pre, it was running 2.0.1. A few days later, the 2.1 update was released for the unlocked Pre 2 and I was able to update via OTA without a problem, so I assume future updates should work as well.

As for the native Sprint Apps, I doubt webOS World will put them on the device, since you need the ipk files form the leaked Sprint 2.0 doctor in order to do it. But if you are able to get your hands on the leaked doctor, you can do it yourself. See this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    OTA updates work. When I did my franken Pre, it was running 2.0.1. A few days later, the 2.1 update was released for the unlocked Pre 2 and I was able to update via OTA without a problem, so I assume future updates should work as well.

As for the native Sprint Apps, I doubt webOS World will put them on the device, since you need the ipk files form the leaked Sprint 2.0 doctor in order to do it. But if you are able to get your hands on the leaked doctor, you can do it yourself. See this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html
    Since we are going beyond the design of Palm, it wouldn't be a good plan to "assume" the future. If the next update contains modem updates, well there you go.. In the hear and now, the script to use in metadoctor will auto push the Sprint Pre 2 to 2.1.0 so these peeps will not get the chance to play around with OTA like we did at inception. Will it accept the next OTA only the future can tell.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Just did my own conversion, following the guide (Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals) wasn't too hard, as long as you're paying attention. Make sure to read through both parts of the guide (hardware and software) first. They list all the major caveats and things to remember.

And the pre2 is extremely worth it. Once you're done, remember to donate to webos internals, those guys did a fantastic job documenting their discoveries along the way.