Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Nodoze helped for me (further indication that it's the Pre Insomnia), but as you say, it's better but still not good.

Currently: Rubbish battery life.
    Nodoze: Better than current, but still not good enough to make the phone useable all day.
    Sleeping properly: In my dreams...
    Is this something that could even be addressed by a patch? Whoever can solve this should be on HP's payroll...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Is this something that could even be addressed by a patch? Whoever can solve this should be on HP's payroll...
    trooooooth!
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Since they don't seem to know about the problem I would try to contact someone @HP developer relations as we did with Kulf and Markus (@twtomcat).
    I'm sure they know about the problem. But, there is a difference between knowing about it and admitting you know about it. A very expensive and large difference. And they probably would need to work closely with TI to get it fixed.
    just got mine back for the second time. it has a new main board and software, im charging and updating software and will post results of testing over the next few days
    Hope you guys get your issues resolved. Hopefully HP will find the root cause of the problem and do right by anyone who has this issue.

I just got my Pre 2 and the battery life has been stellar compared to my Pre+. Govanah definitely shows it going down to 300MHz regularly and the current drain under heavy use is lower than the Pre+ by quite a few milliamps. This shouldn't really be hard to troubleshoot for the hardware guys. They should be able to scope out the radios and such and find the source of the power drain. Replacing the defective part, or the board assembly would then fix the issue, assuming it's not a firmware problem.

Of course, if it is firmware, it could be an easier fix to implement.

As a guide post, my Pre 2, which I have thoroughly trickle charged on the TouchStone, was pulled off said TS, and used to view some websites and check for updates, as well as read a few emails. Over the course of 2 and a half hours it is still sitting at 91% (hooked up via wifi). The Pre 2 SHOULD last at least 20% longer than the Pre+ under equivalent conditions, and mine appears to be well on course. Hope you folks get yours there as well.
    Falcon, have you used an app like xterm to check to see if there are lots of sleep/wakeup messages when you hit the power button? Just curious to see how your phone preforms if it is working better than others.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Falcon, have you used an app like xterm to check to see if there are lots of sleep/wakeup messages when you hit the power button? Just curious to see how your phone preforms if it is working better than others.

Can't seem to find where to get xterm and how to install/use it. I tried Terminus, which gives me the prompt at root, then tried the instructions given to tap the power button, wait 15 seconds, then tap the power button again and unlock the screen. Terminus continued to just show the command prompt. Unforunately, I don't have a lot of time to hunt down the information, and a quick look didn't yield what I needed.

I am willing to try this.
    ok so new maine board did nothing to help with battery drain and my pre 2 is on its way back to palm again,would it be such a hardship for them to test it for a couple of days before sending it back
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Can't seem to find where to get xterm and how to install/use it. I tried Terminus, which gives me the prompt at root, then tried the instructions given to tap the power button, wait 15 seconds, then tap the power button again and unlock the screen. Terminus continued to just show the command prompt. Unforunately, I don't have a lot of time to hunt down the information, and a quick look didn't yield what I needed.

I am willing to try this.
    You basically have it. If you have terminus working and get a prompt then you should be OK. Some people have to run xterm if Terminus wont run but they do the same thing. Xterm is avail in preware but there are a couple apps that need to be installed before, xecutah and xserver.

As for the test, just leave the phone unplugged, open your terminal app, and press the power button to lock ur phone. Wait a couple minutes and unlock. You should see a sleep/wakeup msg in the terminal. For the phones that have the bug, there are many of these messages, as it doesnt sleep properly.

Sym+opt+p will get a screenshot if you want to share it on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_tammy View Post
    ok so new maine board did nothing to help with battery drain and my pre 2 is on its way back to palm again,would it be such a hardship for them to test it for a couple of days before sending it back
    I am surprised by this... a new main board is basically a new phone.

When I was having battery issues, I was given the choice between sending it in and have them repair it for free or pay a $29.95 exchange fee for a refurb. I picked the refurb because I had a sneaking suspicion that HP would not know how to solve this problem, and unfortunately it looks like I was right.
    so if its a new main board then we can conclude this is a software issue then, correct?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I am surprised by this... a new main board is basically a new phone.

When I was having battery issues, I was given the choice between sending it in and have them repair it for free or pay a $29.95 exchange fee for a refurb. I picked the refurb because I had a sneaking suspicion that HP would not know how to solve this problem, and unfortunately it looks like I was right.
    Did you have better results with the refurb?

Did you have better results with the refurb?
    Refurb is MUCH better. Like others, my original pre2 was seeing 10+% battery drain at idle (on the shelf in airplane mode with radios off)...it would be completely dead in 8-10 hours of doing nothing. The refurb uses much less than that and is capable of easily running all day, especially if I keep my 3G usage low.

I frankenpre'd my pre2. My advice for anyone doing a pre2 conversion: hammer the heck out of the pre2 before breaking the palm sticker and voiding your warranty.
    Last edited by jimijames; 08/01/2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more gooder grammer
    Here is my /var/log/messages portion:
    2011-08-01T17:19:40.083496Z [14699] palm-webos kern.info kernel: [14699.340000] - Pastebin.com

Instead of using nodoze, try using one of the Advanced System patches that adds a "disable device sleep" button to the power button menu (next to restart device, and power down).

Although I've only experimented for a hour, using the "disable device sleep" option makes my Pre2 delve into the sub-70mA areas when idle with the sleep off. That's a big improvement over the typical 120mA.

With disable sleep toggle:
    120-150mA on idle with screen on
    60-90mA on idle with screen off

(note: this is with Govnah running so you could expect even lower reading for actual use.)
    Last edited by Abyssul; 08/01/2011 at 01:25 PM.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    You basically have it. If you have terminus working and get a prompt then you should be OK. Some people have to run xterm if Terminus wont run but they do the same thing. Xterm is avail in preware but there are a couple apps that need to be installed before, xecutah and xserver.

As for the test, just leave the phone unplugged, open your terminal app, and press the power button to lock ur phone. Wait a couple minutes and unlock. You should see a sleep/wakeup msg in the terminal. For the phones that have the bug, there are many of these messages, as it doesnt sleep properly.

Sym+opt+p will get a screenshot if you want to share it on the boards.

No joy. I just get the flashing cursor at the prompt. This was after several minutes of the phone being in standby. I can type exit at the prompt and the terminal will close, so I know it works. Is there a command that needs to be run to see the messages?
    No worries. Hey, if your phone is working well that might be a good thing!

As for the advanced system patches - power menu patch to get the 'disable device sleep' option, that has been working GREAT so far. Would recommend that to anyone currently using nodoze. Only thing is I'm not sure how to automate that setting at startup. It seems to forget the setting after a device reboot.

with mine the screen gets very hot and luna restarts, and has made no difference swaping main board could be com board or screen or even the switches power and such,hp say they will swap it now for a new one 3rd time lucky maybe?
    My Pre2 (Sprint) reports these percentages while idle with the screen off:

Stock Kernel:
    Sleep enabled - 2.75%
    Sleep disabled - 3.5%

F104A
    Sleep enabled - 7-9%

SR71
    Sleep enabled - 2.17%

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I'm very happy with my pre's battery life. I can easily get more than 5 days standby time with the standard battery and with very light usage. Initially I could get only 2 days, but since I limited the phone to 2G networks only the standby time is much better. The wifi and the data usage are off most of the time, because I rarely use browser/email client.