Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Good luck. Sounds pretty awful. I'm not wild about the battery life of my Pre, but if I put it in airplane mode and don't use the screen, it lasts for about a week. What you are describing is way out of the normal or reasonable range.
    my pre2 doesnt last as long as my overclocked pre- did with a year old battery....so Im fairly confident I have this issue as well
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    my pre2 doesnt last as long as my overclocked pre- did with a year old battery....so Im fairly confident I have this issue as well
    A quick check: Install xterm, open xterm, press power button, wait 15 seconds, press power button and unlock.

Two outcomes:
    - one pair of sleep/wake messages = not the sleep problem.
    - lots of pairs of sleep/wake messages = it is the sleep problem.
    This thread had me slightly worried as I just got my Pre 2 (had a Pre- a while ago) it arrived yesterday was charged by 12:00pm.

It has 2 mail accounts configured for push and I played around a bit on it, this morning 08:30am it still has 35% left. Basically the same as my Pre- though it only had one mail account.

Is this issue mostly with US phones? Or has anyone in the UK also suffered from it?

Barry
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Is this issue mostly with US phones? Or has anyone in the UK also suffered from it?
    Mine is a UK phone and it suffers badly
    If you don't already have it I highly recommend Battery Saver in PreWare. Switches phone to flight mode and off again at user specified times.

Used it with the Pre- and it works a treat on the Pre2 as well.

Barry
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    check your batteries.....lots of them have lost their ability to store power. So even on a full charge they may only be 50%.

Get a new battery, they are cheap on ebay.
    I got my Pre 2 Unlocked brand new a month ago and I noticed the same. What to do is turn off Facebook apps notifications completely, Change all your email accounts 'Get Mail' settings to around 1 hour, and go into Messaging and remove your IM accounts. ( Who uses AIM and Google Talk now anyways HP?! ) and that should be fine.

Try to keep screen brightness to a minimum, though it has a low effect on the battery life honestly.

Turn off the whole 'Google may use my GPS anonymously at any time to improve their services' , That's creepy and a waste of mHz..

Keep 3G & Wifi on. They don't have ANY effect on battery life , again, unless you use it.

I'm guessing you're not happy because the Pre is dying in your pocket. With those settings, it'll last a day with casual use and at a good standard. I hope my advice helps a little,

InfinitePre
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Airplane mode doesn't help. Turning screen brightness down doesn't help...

This is a problem where the phone drops 15% per hour with screen off and in airplane mode, all because the phone won't sleep. Battery is new and well above 90% health.
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    A quick check: Install xterm, open xterm, press power button, wait 15 seconds, press power button and unlock.

Two outcomes:
    - one pair of sleep/wake messages = not the sleep problem.
    - lots of pairs of sleep/wake messages = it is the sleep problem.
    How do you install Xterm, I can't see it in Preware?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    My Pre2 is with Hp/Palm at the moment so I can't check, sorry. It might be in a testing feed (?) so all the "use at your own risk" type of statements apply. Can anyone who knows more advise as appropriate?
    mc, I used the app 'Terminus' and it did the trick just fine for monitoring this.

I still have to do a Luna restart every now and then when my phone gets stuck at 1GHz.. even with NoDoze running in the background occasionally it seems to get stuck.

Anyone have some settings to try in Govnah to get the 300mhz/1ghz switching to work correctly?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    im getting ****ed at this battery issue.

thought it was just the battery but apparently it was the restart from swapping batteries that reset something

now every 10-12 hours it goes into horrible battery drain mode and make me wanna smash it into a wall
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Once this issue starts, the phone is rendered fairly useless as it cannot last more than 8-10 hours even when it isn't actually doing anything... if you add any use to this then you're looking at even less time from a full battery to a dead battery!

Is there anyone else from HP/Palm on these boards who might be able to offer some advice on whether this is a "known issue" and whether a resolution might ever be found?
    dabombcra likes this.
    a restart fixes mine, but i hate having to watch it throughout the day to babysit it to restart it
    @agentmock

Update on Kulfs pre2:
    They send it back the second time and it's not repaired.
    HardBeatZ responded by PM.
    I ask him if he ever heard about this problem (device can't deep sleep)
    His response:
    I personally have not, but I'll be the first to tell you that is not my area of expertise. I would imagine it is an isolated few cases...but could be proven wrong.

--HardBeatZ
    The problem is that it's hard to tell if you have this problem. Arrasmith posted some very useful tips how to find out with a terminal app. I should continue to finish my systemmonitor.

The good news for Kulf is that Markus Leutwyler (@twtomcat) will taking care that the pre2 get repaired/exchanged.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Somline: Mine is back at Palm for a "repair" with the sleep problem (confirmed with XTerm). Do you have any tips on what to do if it's returned to me and is still not fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    Somline: Mine is back at Palm for a "repair" with the sleep problem (confirmed with XTerm). Do you have any tips on what to do if it's returned to me and is still not fixed?
    Since they don't seem to know about the problem I would try to contact someone @HP developer relations as we did with Kulf and Markus (@twtomcat).
    I can help you with that. As a first trial you should ask HardBeatZ by PM.
    Even though he doesn't know the problem he might be able to contact someone from the hardware department.
    I guess you are located in the US?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I'm in the UK. Phone was sent for repair in Ashford, Kent, UK.
    Last edited by UpTheRams; 07/28/2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Have any of you given Nodoze a try? It stopped all the sleep/wakeup messages, which may be helping marginally, but I think the battery life could be improved still by actually being able to 'sleep' correctly.

No change in behavior after doctoring from 2.0.1 to 2.1 btw.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html