Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    it seems like i get good battery until the first time i turn on gps after that its back to around 10 hours max even after its turned off again.if i turn off gps and restart the phone it seems to be ok again. ill be checking the theory more over the weekend and sending the phone back to palm moday or tuesday with a note explaining exactly what the problem is
    Quote Originally Posted by kulf View Post
    Had a conversation with palm yesterday. Complete waste of time.
    Currently testing if it's to do with the battery: after a calibration last night, the battery suddenly showed a health of 87% in Dr.Battery (was 97% before).
    Just another batch of really bad batteries?
    We investigated the problem of kulf. Turned out to be that "can't sleep" problem.
    The first image shows kulfs pre2 battery life. You see a constantly activity.
    The second is from my pre2. You can see that the activity has "holes" means the device sleeps. Both are showing 10 hours of a device in standby. In that time my battery goes down to 50% but kulfs to 0%
    EDIT: I was using wifi, 3g, 3 mailaccounts, twitter sync. Kulf was in airplane mode and new doctored!!

This problem was first investigated by arrasmith in two threads:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...not-sleep.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ry-nodoze.html

We haven't found any solution for it. It may be connected to a modem problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by somline; 07/10/2011 at 05:44 AM.
    mu7efcer and jimijames like this.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    So it is phone dependant? Hardware issue? I would expect that most "terrible battery life" posts are due to this issue. I've sent mine for repair, but wondering if the only solution is a replacement (apparently that's what you get after two failed repairs).

I can't investigate now (phone's with Palm) but something triggering the bad sleep state sounds about right, as I often thought the problem was solved after restart, only for it to suddenly come back...
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    So it is phone dependant? Hardware issue? I would expect that most "terrible battery life" posts are due to this issue. I've sent mine for repair, but wondering if the only solution is a replacement (apparently that's what you get after two failed repairs).
    I think this is hardware or (modem)firmware.
    GuyFromNam has a lot of reports that a faulty modem(firmware?) can cause huge battery drain.
    My theory is that the modem wakes webOS if something happens (call/sms comes in). Maybe this for some reasons sometimes doesn't work and the modem keeps webOS alive.
    We know that from PCs where faulty drivers keep the OS from sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    We investigated the problem of kulf. Turned out to be that "can't sleep" problem.
    Them are some cool graphs! How do you make them? Or more to the point, how do you gather the data for them?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    It's from an app I was working on but is on hold atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Update: Kulf send it in for repair and got it back. Same device (IMEI, Serial-number).
    Proof of the bug: Kulf@Twitter
    My pre2 same period: matsomline@Twitter
    Nothing changed, same problem, can't sleep.
    This is exactly what I have expected. They switched it on, maybe run the doc, it works, send it back. They seem to have no clue this bug exists on some devices.
    mine was repaired by palm uk came back with just software update and radio check, it is back at the repair center again now for the same problem,they told me if it goes back a third time it will automaticaly be replaced with a new one.i realy hope they can get it right as this kind of thing doesnt inspire confidence in the company or its products
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Just got my phone back from "support" yesterday, but the battery wasn't sent back with it and will arrive later today (they asked for battery and phone). I haven't been able to test it yet, but it's the same phone and the documents simply state that the software has been updated and tested.

I wrote a note stating the problem clearly and followed it up with an email (again emphasising the problem) and I received a reply saying "The notes have alerady been added properly, don't worry." I really doubt it's fixed, but I'll give it a trial overnight, battery in and airplane mode, no patches etc, and see what happens...

If the problem persists, can anyone recommend how to approach "support" this time round? Somline, Kulf, Alan...?
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    If you shut off your data connection, then with a decent battery, it should last pretty long. It's basically a basic cellular phone then. Data itself will be a drain because the Pre is always trying to sync to the cloud. Or even better, turn on airplane mode during the night.
    When I want to preserve the battery I put the phone in airplane mode. It barely drains at all, then. I've used it as an alarm clock for a week. (I also bought the fat 2600 battery.)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_predd View Post
    I think i have a faulty battery. Ive been trying out a few things to see if i can find whats causing the battery drain. Well last night at 10pm the phone was at 85% life, unplugged it, put it in airplane mode. Woke up at 6am and the phone was dead. Thats more then 10% drain per hour in airplane mode sitting on my home desk. Ive ordered the 1400 mugen battery. Hopefully that will resolve my issue.
    Sounds like it did. But I gotta say, I pulled out the old Treo last week to use in Europe, and I was startled by how great that battery was. Maybe instead of upgrading to a new phone, I will "upgrade" back to my old Treo. I miss that I can't search contacts to find "plumber" or "doctor" any more, too. You have to actually remember everyone's name to find them with "just type". I soooo hate that I have lost that ability.
    after i got mine back the first time and found no difference support said they would arrange for my phone to be picked up and would call to let me know when, i rang them a week later to see what had gone wrong they told me they would have it collected on monday , didnt get collected no call from support or DHL so after nearly 2 weeks waiting for them to pick it up,after oine last call to support they said they dont know when it will be picked up but its not likeley to be this week so i whent to the DHL depot near our home and sent it myself, there just hopeless and no help at all, and the repair center dont seem to read the notes that are sent to them and just doctor the the phone check that it can make calls then send it back.it realy isnt good enough
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    alan_tammy: Please post an update once you've got it back
    im not going to hold my breath as the first "software update" seems like they just doctord it back to webos 2.0 and possibly a firmware update for the question marks thing. and they only got it back at repair today, they must be trying to drag things out long enough that free phone support runs out, or the warranty
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Palm support = major fail...

Even after placing a hand written note in with the phone when I sent it back explaining the problem (the note was returned with the phone so it wasn't simply lost) and after emailing the support team to emphasise what the problem was (and with them replying to say the message was understood)... all they did was "update" the software (back to WebOS 2.0) and, well, that was it.

Charged the phone up last night. Stayed on 100% for the first hour after unplugging (data off, 2G only, WIFI/GPS etc off). Tried surfing the web on WIFI and then on 3G and the battery drain started again. Left the phone overnight (starting at 92%, everything off apart from 2G phone signal at 3-4 bars) and when I got up 7 hours later the battery was dead. I don't know at what point in the night it died, but that's clearly a minimum drain of 13% per hour.

I'm very dissapointed that in the 12 hours I had the phone back I was able to show the problem clearly hasn't been fixed and yet they had the phone for a week and nothing was done to actually fix the problem.

35 days of the 90 "free support" days remaining...

Update: Sending it back to Palm for a second go at repairing it...
    Last edited by UpTheRams; 07/20/2011 at 03:47 AM.
    Have you tried the nodoze app? That has given me a bit of sanity back in dealing with this.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I think most RIM users are used to their BB phones lasting days between charges. Actually, most older devices similar to my old Palm Treo 650 could go days between charges.

To be honest, if you think the Pre 2 battery life is bad, checkout the Evo 3D and Droid X for a couple of days and wonder why so many people buy those smartphones. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    pre2 back on its way to UK. I'm not holding my breath. They tried again to swap the battery, but I insisted that there is no problem with the battery (it reports 100% fitness in my pre+ / Dr. Battery and lasts for at least a day when used in my trusty old phone). At least I don't have to pay for those speedy DHL services...

Why don't they just give me a new phone? They cost next to nothing anymore, they want to clear the stock anyway, and it sure must be more expensive in the long run to keep their support staff, chat staff, repair staff busy with my device. So far:
    140 mins chat -- extremely unhelpful, no solution
    43 mins chat -- yay, I'm allowed to ship my pre to UK...
    15 mins phone call (guy forgot to take down my company's name, so I spent my fre Saturday morning in the office waiting for DHL...)
    After confirming that the problem persisted, I chatted again
    (unfortunately, it was the same chat agent as the very first time, but this time I managed to have her "allow" me to call after doctoring the phone - OK, I waited the rest of the day before I rang to state that the problem is far from gone.

Now the kicker: it took me another 15 mins to persuade the call center agent that the problem is still there and - no, I don't want them to replace the battery. Had to give him my address again (why? He had all prior communication on his screen?) Repackaged, now let's wait and see.

I don't get it. HP has just launched the TP. They are abuot to launch the Pre3. I'm tempted to buy both. But with lackluster Support, I'll wait and possible refrain from buying any of the new devices (BTW: veer suffers from extreme problems with Google and Umlauts. But I'm living in a country with a lot of Umlauts. And my last name even includes an Umlaut. Guess what my last name has instead of the Umlaut in the Mail from HP, and on the parcel I got back from GB...? Correct: a "?")
    Quote Originally Posted by kulf View Post
    Now the kicker: it took me another 15 mins to persuade the call center agent that the problem is still there and - no, I don't want them to replace the battery. Had to give him my address again (why? He had all prior communication on his screen?) Repackaged, now let's wait and see.
    The problem is that they don't know about the problem. They don't measure the drain of the battery over time. They don't measure how well the device sleeps.
    They doctor a send in device and find out that the pre2 works. We need to convince them, that the device is not able to sleep.
    I will send HardBeatZ a PM about it. My unfinished, but working, System monitor clearly has proven that Kulf's pre2 never sleeps.
    I just send HardBeatZ the following PM:
    Hi HardBeatZ,

you may know me as the author of Dr.Battery.
    I'm in the process of building a systemmonitor.
    My friend Kulf has the problem, that his new pre2 has a very bad battery life. We run my unfinished sysmonitor and found out, that his devise never sleeps. Find details here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3025555
    He send it to HP for repair. They send it back (same device (IMEI, serialnumber). He had the same problems (they haven't repaired it). Now he send it again. I'm afraid he will get it back unrepaired again.

There exist a problem for some pre's. They never go to sleep and therefore have a very short battery life. My app proves exactly this behavior. It was reported before by arasmith (see link above).
    Markus Leutwyler (@twtomcat) already is involved, but I don't think he can help.

It would be very nice if you could respond in the previous mentioned thread.

Thanks alot and thanks again for being part in this community.

Somline
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Sorli: I have a HTC Hero, so I know bad battery life. The issue here is the phone not sleeping - the battery life isn't poor, it's so much worse than that! This bug ran my battery from 92% to zero when left 7 hours, no calls, no texts, no data, no WiFi, screen off the whole time...

Somline: You are a hero Please let us know if you hear anything back. I think that solving this problem could make so many peoples' phones more useable - I strongly believe this is the root of many battery life problems (and people just don't realise their phone isn't sleeping).
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast