Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    The battery still shouldn't have drained that quickly, try getting a replacement battery or try doctoring your phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Turn email to manual mode from "push". That. And turning the screen brightness down. It will help but not solve the issue.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Here's what happened to me this evening.

I left work at 5pm my pre2 was on the touchstone so was at 100%

Phone remained in my pocket until 10pm when I took it out. It was completely drained in 5 hours.

Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I just ordered myself a brand new battery. Does anyone know if cycling it a few times when i get it is good for the battery health? What i mean by cycling is letting the battery drain then fully charging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I just ordered myself a brand new battery. Does anyone know if cycling it a few times when i get it is good for the battery health? What i mean by cycling is letting the battery drain then fully charging it.
    According to Mungen, they tell you to charge the new battery for 12 hours. Then fully discharge and charge 3-5 times "to achieve stated capacity."
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    According to Mungen, they tell you to charge the new battery for 12 hours. Then fully discharge and charge 3-5 times "to achieve stated capacity."
    I'm going to try this too, as my battery life has been horrible.

7.    #27  
    Sorry to drag up my old thread. So i am back using the blackberry but i dont want to give up on the palm phone. Is there an app that shows what is using your battery? Right now i have it w/ out a sim and just on the wifi. It was at 100% at 6:30am and its currently 1:44 pm and its at 35% usage. Thats on wifi alone w/out trying to grab any 3g signal. Its about 10% per hour. There arent even any accounts on it. I am debating whether or not to buy a new battery and see if maybe it was a battery issue.
    I've only recently got a Palm Pre 2 and never had a smart phone before and I too was surprised at how quickly the battery drains, even when just in standby mode. As a developer for iPod Touch (and now Palm Pre), I was expecting a battery life to be at least on par with that. It's not terrible, but I was expecting a bit more.
  9.    #29  
    I think i have a faulty battery. Ive been trying out a few things to see if i can find whats causing the battery drain. Well last night at 10pm the phone was at 85% life, unplugged it, put it in airplane mode. Woke up at 6am and the phone was dead. Thats more then 10% drain per hour in airplane mode sitting on my home desk. Ive ordered the 1400 mugen battery. Hopefully that will resolve my issue.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_predd View Post
    I think i have a faulty battery. Ive been trying out a few things to see if i can find whats causing the battery drain. Well last night at 10pm the phone was at 85% life, unplugged it, put it in airplane mode. Woke up at 6am and the phone was dead. Thats more then 10% drain per hour in airplane mode sitting on my home desk. Ive ordered the 1400 mugen battery. Hopefully that will resolve my issue.
    I feel you may be cursed like me. I don't know what it is but I have had 3 different pres and they have all had terrible battery life. One of my friends who I convinced to get the phone early on can leave hers on all day and all night and still have over 30% in the morning. I can't get past like 6pm even with almost no usage. I airplane mode int he subway. I turn off data/gps as necesary. I don't leave cards open accept my rss, email and messaging since I use them the most. (aim/gchat etc off, just sms).

Unless I just have an app that is sucking the life from my poor phone in the background I think I'm just cursed (or rather my profile is).
  11.    #31  
    Well if the new battery doesnt fix the issue, then i will have no other choice but to use a different phone. Its pointless to have a phone that you cant use because of the battery.
    Here is what I have noticed. If I leave my Pre 2 sitting at home the battery drains fast. Like you, about 10% minute. The phone just sits there, data is inactivated and I have no email accounts set up, it's an unlocked dev phone.

A few weeks ago I took the phone up to Minneapolis on a business trip and I'll be buggered if the damn thing didn't last for 2.5 days on a single charge. So, something in my home area is causing it to drain quickly. Perhaps poor coverage. I also took the phone to the UK and had data active, used it for text, phone calls, surfing, etc and it easily lasted a whole day.
    just went on a camp trip for 3 days w/ my pre2. Bad idea. Unplugged from the car charger around 4pm on friday (100%). it was down to 40% by 10pm and dead by 6am. With no usage. Just sitting in my pocket w/ no usage. I only have 1 email account and i have that set to manual. This is just unacceptable. How can a phone go from 100% to 0% in 14 hours of no usage. I charged it back up and turned the phone off in case of emergency. Turned it back on sunday night at about 11pm (65%) and it was dead by 9am when i woke up. NO USAGE. i have nothing that is syncing. I love the UI on the phone but whats the point if i cant even use it. If i had even played a game it would have killed the phone. I just cant see myself getting usage out of this unless i am constantly plugged in.
    If you have no service or weak service (0-1 bars), the phone turns the antenna power up to search for a signal. This drains the battery quickly especially if 3G is on. Turn the phone on to airplane mode and/or turn 3G off and it shouldnt drain as fast in the low signal area
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Sorry to drag up my old thread. So i am back using the blackberry but i dont want to give up on the palm phone. Is there an app that shows what is using your battery? Right now i have it w/ out a sim and just on the wifi. It was at 100% at 6:30am and its currently 1:44 pm and its at 35% usage. Thats on wifi alone w/out trying to grab any 3g signal. Its about 10% per hour. There arent even any accounts on it. I am debating whether or not to buy a new battery and see if maybe it was a battery issue.
    I can confirm this exact discharge with my pre 2 battery. 10% drain per hour. Not ideal!
  15.    #35  
    I got the new battery. I can tell already that it is better. Put it in last night and charged to full, woke up this morning and its at 70%. ~5% per hour. Much more bearable. Going to let it die and charge to full a few more times before I really see how good it is.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    When I go out of cell range for an extended period of time I turn airplane mode one. when the phone is searching for a network connection it really seems to kill the battery.
    Maybe you should download Dr. Battery, search for instructions on this forum and see what the App tells you. My friend's battery life was also atrocious and Dr. Battery finally revealed that his stock battery classified at 1150mAh actually only carried a maximum charge to the tune of 800mAh, which explained a lot.

If that doesn't help any and you don't mind helping your charge a bit, you can create a Mode in Mode Switcher that automatically switches off your data radio if you're within a WiFi network; that'll help. It's also very helpful to switch off the data radio when you're on a train trip, for example, and have really bad service.

In my experience, the one thing that positively murders your battery is the data radio, especially when you're in an area with less than stellar reception. My phone usually lasts me a day, but when I was on vacation and had my data switched permanently off in order not to rack up a monumental phone bill, it lasted for three to four days.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Here's what happened to me this evening.

I left work at 5pm my pre2 was on the touchstone so was at 100%

Phone remained in my pocket until 10pm when I took it out. It was completely drained in 5 hours.

I downloaded DrBattery. My phone is now at 55% under the same circumstances as above. It does seem much better.
    (1) Fully charge *and* discharge the device at least three times!
    (2) Turn off GPS. Turn off GPS caching in photos.
    (3) Turn the brightness down as low as possible. This is key! What is your brightness set at?
    (4) Get the "Device Menu Megamix" patch or similar (there are a few that you can get just to your preferance); I use a different combination of patces to accomplish this on my Pixi.
    (5) ALWAYS turn the Data off if you don't need it.
    (6) Get the "MultiMod" patch for the browser. After that's installed, you can use the spacebar/period buttons for page up/down. That will save FAR more battery life than scrolling with your finger. If you scroll up one page, you're refreshing the screen like 20 times more than refreshing it once with one button press.

There are a number of other things you can do, like stop the logging and uploadd and all that jazz. Look into the Uberkernel threads to see more tweaking like this that gets every last bit of performance out of your device. There's numerous settings in Govnah that you can change to gear your phone toward better battery savings.
    Also... for those suggesting battery programs, they're not extremely accurate, because they're merely calculating an AVERAGE drain, which you can do w/ pencil and paper, as well.

You can watch it jump from over 25% DPH down to 7% and everywhere inbetween.

The only way for you to get an accurate DPH is to start the program as soon as you uplug the device, then keep the battery monitor open until it's nearly dead.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast