Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon sent me a brand new palm pre 2 under my warranty because my pre plus was giving me problems (also without having to renew my contract, awesome!) I just received it today and I was surprised at the fact that two boxes came. One the phone came in and the other was a brand new battery and 2 touchstone back covers in packaging. Didn't expect them to do that!

But id just like to say wow, what a difference from my pre plus! They keyboard alone is a lot more 'clickier' if you will. No skipped letters or anything. The bezel and gorilla glass screen make a HUGE difference. Feels smooth and solid in your hand, and I'm a big fan of the brighter light in the gesture area.

Even with my palm pre plus running 2.1 and overclocked, it definitely isn't as smooth as the pre 2. This just makes me even more excited for the pre 3. just letting you guys know my thoughts!
    A free Pre 2, Nice! I recently Sprintified my unlocked Pre 2, and it is a huge improvement. No more overclocking, no more having to worry about my battery dying on me, and the gorilla glass screen definitely makes a difference. It's a much better experience overall, both hardware & software. Too bad the original Pre/Pre Plus couldn't be as solid.

Enjoy your new phone.
  3.    #3  
    I know! No more overclocking.. It feels so weird! And id say battery life is pretty darn good compared to my pp+.

I'll definitely be enjoying it!
    palml0ver... same here. I just got the Pre2 and FrankenPre'd with with my Sprint Pre-. The new Pre2 is amazing feeling compared with the Pre minus. I thought the LED notification lights would be hard to see (the aren't and the look great)... the Gorilla glass feels great and looks fantastic. The bezel design is the same as the Pre3, so you have an idea of how the device will look, but with a larger screen and even better keyboard! And having the larger built-in memory has been great. I'm using the new Uberkernal and Govnah now... and using the Govnah setting at 'OnDemand' has really made the battery last even longer!

The Pre2 made me enjoy this phone all over again
  5.    #5  
    Uberkernal for the pre2? I'm lost I thought there was just testing kernels out for it! I haven't even downloaded govnah yet. Lol I should probably get to it!
    I think it is still in the testing feeds. I just launched Preware after reading his post, and I only saw the regular Palm kernal. Govnah is there though, and it has exhibition mode, which is cool. I think I'll keep my stock kernal for now, I have no need to change it. The Pre 2 is fast enough for me, & I'm usually around 20% battery by the end of the day.
  7.    #7  
    thank you for the heads up! yeah I'm going to hold back on overclocking for a bit. I always like to have the fresh stock feeling for a while before I do anything crazy.
    was at a verizon store. played with a pre2 for a total of 5 seconds. that was enough time for me to realize my overclocked pre+ is a joke compared to the pre2.

for those passing over on the pre2 and waiting to get the pre3 instead, you're wasting your time
    it's a great phone. i wouldn't even say it's behind in it's times or obsolete.

It just works, and works well.

Few more upgrades and tweaks to webOS and the phone will be dynamite.

Just can't wait to see how good the Pre 3 will be now too
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    Uberkernal for the pre2? I'm lost I thought there was just testing kernels out for it! I haven't even downloaded govnah yet. Lol I should probably get to it!
    Yeah the OC kernels for Pre2 are just in testing feeds right now and can be found when you input this feed into Preware:

Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/2.0.1/

They can put your Pre2 at 1.4ghz which is twice the rated speed for the chipset used for this device, palm already shipped the pre2 overclocked , so things like dropped calls and wifi issues are reported.

You can still install govnah to at least monitor bandwidth, temps, and battery consumptions
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Dont forget that webOS contains a hella lot of performance optimizations over webOS 1.x so there is speed increase. Also the Pre2 RAM is faster so more system bus bandwidth and faster read/writes My Sprint Pre at 1.3ghz could never hope to catch my Pre2 running stock.

I got a Pre 2 and did the comm swap on it two days ago. I absolutely love it. Can't wait for the Pre 3!!
  13.    #13  
    you guys teach me something new everyday! I love it! No idea that palm shipped it overclocked. This is what is confusing me. Overclocked to what? Anyways I think the farthest id go is to 1.2 ghz. But that won't be happening for a while cause I'm most definitely fine with the speed right now!
    Do they really ship it overclocked? My understanding was that the default kernel adjusts CPU speed dynamically, ranging from 300MHz when it's not being used to 1GHz when it is being used heavily.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Do they really ship it overclocked? My understanding was that the default kernel adjusts CPU speed dynamically, ranging from 300MHz when it's not being used to 1GHz when it is being used heavily.
    That is true for scaling but under heavy loads the kernel is bumping it up past the advertised speeds meant for the chip. Even for desktop chips, its really hard to say this would be an overclock since the manufactures of the chips today always releases them below when they can do and ODMs are picking up on this, saving $$$ in the process. The thought is certified speeds for 100% usetypes and then expected speeds it can do when the demands calls for it under limited times. Hard to explain in short so I still just prefer to call it overclock when going over their certified speeds.

you guys teach me something new everyday! I love it! No idea that palm shipped it overclocked. This is what is confusing me. Overclocked to what? Anyways I think the farthest id go is to 1.2 ghz. But that won't be happening for a while cause I'm most definitely fine with the speed right now!
    It's more like they know what this chip can do and set the kernel accordingly withing safe levels that wont cause premature dmg to keep up with demands. Overclocking is no longer a straight forward concept as it used to be.

The Pre2 at 1ghz is more than enough, I haven't been able to choke it so far with exception to memory leaking issues. The number 1 thing to Overclocking is to only do it if you need to, ESPECIALLY to save battery life The only time MY Pre2 starting giving me issues with overclocking was past 1.5ghz, kinda a dead giveaway when all the sudden the voltage requirements SPIKED, and of course results vary between devices

Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    The Pre2 at 1ghz is more than enough, I haven't been able to choke it so far with exception to memory leaking issues. The number 1 thing to Overclocking is to only do it if you need to, ESPECIALLY to save battery life The only time MY Pre2 starting giving me issues with overclocking was past 1.5ghz, kinda a dead giveaway when all the sudden the voltage requirements SPIKED, and of course results vary between devices
    Now THAT is bleeding-edge! I just noticed in your sig you ran your Pre 2 up to 1.96GHz(!!!), that's just crazy. If my Pre 2 wasn't my primary phone I would definitely want to see how that much speed feels on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Now THAT is bleeding-edge! I just noticed in your sig you ran your Pre 2 up to 1.96GHz(!!!), that's just crazy. If my Pre 2 wasn't my primary phone I would definitely want to see how that much speed feels on a phone.
    Heh it looks like the chip on my pre2 got a center cut from the fab board My Sprint Pre2 wont go past 1.4 at all no matter wat. My gsm pre2 i can get 1.5 fine with the sometimes dropped calls and WILL have to downclock it when it gets hot outside, I stream music on bike rides. For the records at 1.96 ghz the device would randomly boot to the launcher screen if I kept cool air blowing on the back and and seeing the temp hitting the 60c barrier which is a nono. Kinda like you get excited when you overclock you pc and it posted so you get all excited but then windows gives you the BSOD at the login screen

Everytime I overclock, even up to 1.2 my Pre 2 starts bugging out. It's very unstable for me . I don't have time to bug report and to figure it out, so I went back to stock kernel. : /. No OC for me, unfortunately.

Congrats to the OP though. The Pre 2 is worlds apart from the previous two iterations.
    Verizon sent me a brand new palm pre 2 under my warranty because my pre plus was giving me problems (also without having to renew my contract, awesome!) I just received it today and I was surprised at the fact that two boxes came. One the phone came in and the other was a brand new battery and 2 touchstone back covers in packaging. Didn't expect them to do that!
    Are you pulling our leg on this one? It is April Fools day after all...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast