1.    #1  
    Hi

I'll get my Unlocked Pre2 in next few days and would like to know how the activation goes. If I use HP/Palm supported sim card to activate the phone (O2), can I after that use any other sim card (Three UK -operator) and still use AppCatalog with fully access ?

How much data the activation needs ? I'm thinking to get prepaid card for activation.

I'd like to know these because I'd like to use Pre 2 as a developer phone with my current Sim card (Three UK). Thanks
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I've asked this question already a few weeks ago.. Activate on O2, move to 3.

The answer was that it would be OK. Although I am still to actually try it. (This week!)

I think the amount of data depends on what you download when you activate. for e.g. I had data on my Pre- which was downloaded to my new Pre2.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I took my unlocked Pre 2 and stuck a friends Rogers SIM card in it to activate using my Palm profile. I swapped the card for my Bell SIM and it worked just fine.

Had to do that twice actually because my phone wouldn't download the 2.1 update OTA. I doctored the phone to 2.1 and did the SIM swap again. No issues there.

Finally, I was playing with some patches and bricked my phone, requiring me to doctor the phone again. This time I just used my Bell SIM and it seems to be okay again.

I also had a lot of data downloaded on activation since I was migrating from a Bell Pre minus...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    Finally, I was playing with some patches and bricked my phone, requiring me to doctor the phone again. This time I just used my Bell SIM and it seems to be okay again.
    That's cause the device record is created once, and cannot be changed afterwards. So your first good activation will last forever for that device, no matter what you use next time you activate.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    BTW, I've just moved from O2 to 3, no problem.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    My dev phone was just delivered and I will pick it up tomorrow!
    So, I've been reading a lot on this Activation issue for paid apps and still have one question.

I'm in Germany and have an Aldi Talk Prepaid SIM on the Eplus Network. Can I use Eplus for activation, too? I only read of O2 SIMs. Or is the paid app catalogue also carrier locked and only accessible through an activation with O2, the palm launch carrier, and no other carrier like Eplus, Vodafone, Telecom, etc.? Then I'd head for the city and buy me an extra O2 Prepaid SIM.

Greetings!

edit: ok, just bought a 15€ o2 prepaid anyway, but still would like to know how that works with other carriers.
    Last edited by jesdt; 04/01/2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesdt View Post
    My dev phone was just delivered and I will pick it up tomorrow!
    So, I've been reading a lot on this Activation issue for paid apps and still have one question.

I'm in Germany and have an Aldi Talk Prepaid SIM on the Eplus Network. Can I use Eplus for activation, too? I only read of O2 SIMs. Or is the paid app catalogue also carrier locked and only accessible through an activation with O2, the palm launch carrier, and no other carrier like Eplus, Vodafone, Telecom, etc.? Then I'd head for the city and buy me an extra O2 Prepaid SIM.

Greetings!

edit: ok, just bought a 15€ o2 prepaid anyway, but still would like to know how that works with other carriers.
    Of those SIMs you listed, use the O2 SIM for the first time activation, remember you only have one shot it this or its RMA time. Palm is geo and carrier restricting so if you activate in Germany using the O2 prepaid you will be fine and afterwards it will no longer matter which SIM you are using and what part of the world you are in. The other 2 carriers you listed are not webOS partners so done use those for first time activation.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I think Eplus is a full O2 daughter, and I've heard stories from German users activating on that network and getting paid apps. Better to be safe than sorry though...
    Good call!

Then again so is Bell Mobility to Rogers and look what happened there.

True but I pretty much remember this one German guy on eplus telling me this story.

Then again, that could have changed for Germany as well on v2.
    My fear exactly. Bell Mobilty is supported on webOS 1 but not on webOS 2 Pre2 devices and I thought that here.

This would be just flat out easier for all if Palm would free the catalog.

We need fake devs wasting their free Pre 2 on this **** instead of selling them on ebay.
    Indeed, I'm looking for some guinea pigs at the moment ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    On to something there. It's publicly know what the deal is with geo restrictions but webos 2 threw in carrier restrictions on top not know by alot. If we can make a repository of carriers that bork access,,,,, dangit we'll need alot of guinea pigs but at least in mean time keep a sticky here on forums of findings from those reporting the damage already done maybe....

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response. Well, then that's a good thing I got me the O2 sim. Better safe than sorry
    Just wanted to add, Eplus is no daughter of O2. Eplus has its very own network, unrelated to O2's.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I just got a Pre2 Dev phone... it's not activated yet still in box... i need to borrow An ATT sim from someone. Everyone i know has verizon or sprint. Let me know i'm sure Pete wont mind if i send him back a bricked Dev phone