1.    #1  
    Is the only way to get a Pre 2 to use with a franken-swap is to buy one from HP @ $450?

HP should be selling these things for $100 with no contract. It doesnt' seem like they're selling them on contract.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    You have plenty of options available:
    - On contract with Verizon for as low as $50 (that I can find currently - on Wirefly)
    - Off contract with Verizon for $410
    - Off contract unlocked GSM for $450
    - Off contract off of eBay from as low as $200 (if you're really lucky), more like $300-$350.

Expecting the manufacturer to drop the no activation price to $100 is a bit of wishful thinking ...
  3.    #3  
    That's exactly what it is.. wishful thinking. I just didn't know if there was an outlet to buy them for cheap besides for getting (really) lucky on ebay.

I want to build a frankenpre, but I see it as a fun side project, not a $450 investment. Seeing as how there isn't a Verizon store within 50 miles of me that carries the Pre2, and from reading these forums I see that it isn't an isolated incident, I think one could safely say they aren't selling well. With the Pre3 set to release in a few months, it doesn't make much sense for someone on verizon to enter into a two year agreement for a Pre2.

If HP wants to move these devices, they should lower the price, offer them off contract, and maybe they won't take such a huge loss on the hardware investment when compared to not selling them at all.

/wishful thinking
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    Your best bet at getting a good deal is finding a Verizon Pre 2 that someone got for free when signing and decided to sell it on ebay. They will cost less than the unlocked model and will work for the frankenPre2 process also.

Quote Originally Posted by badhairguy View Post
    Is the only way to get a Pre 2 to use with a franken-swap is to buy one from HP @ $450?

HP should be selling these things for $100 with no contract. It doesnt' seem like they're selling them on contract.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #5  
    That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Your best bet at getting a good deal is finding a Verizon Pre 2 that someone got for free when signing and decided to sell it on ebay. They will cost less than the unlocked model and will work for the frankenPre2 process also.
    Curious - why will they work better? Not sure I understand what the advantage is other than price.

EDIT - this post was due to confusion. I misread the original quote. See replies below.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 03/29/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Curious - why will they work better? Not sure I understand what the advantage is other than price.
    I didn't say it would work better. I said it was his best shot at getting one cheaper. Price is the only advantage I mentioned.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I didn't say it would work better. I said it was his best shot at getting one cheaper. Price is the only advantage I mentioned.
    LOL - I somehow added a word in my mind as I read your post. I read it as "work better". Don't ask I don't know where that fabrication came from.