Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    This is direction on how to add the AmazonMP3 app to your unlocked Pre2 or FrankenPre2. The AmazonMP3 app is U.S. only, this procedure does not change that.

1. Download the Verizon Pre2 Doctor.
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre2/...onwireless.jar

2. Extract the contents of the doctor with an archive manager. Navigate to the resources folder. Find the file verizon.tar, and extract its contents. You need these two ipk files:

amazonservice_1.1-7_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-73_armv7.ipk

4. Copy both of these files to your Pre2's usb drive. Then eject your phone from the computer.

5. Reconnect the phone, but select just charge. Gain root access to a Linux command line on your phone. There are several ways to do this. I prefer novaterm (directions here). You can also use novacom (as described here). It has been reported that using the command line tool in WOSQI 3.14 works as well.

6. Once you are at your phone's root prompt, run these two commands.

ipkg -force-depends install /media/internal/amazonservice_1.1-7_armv7.ipk
    ipkg -force-depends install /media/internal/com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-73_armv7.ipk

7. Exit novaterm, disconnect your Pre2, then do a full restart of the phone.

I have done this to my own phone, and have verified that the Amazon MP3 app works fully, including purchasing music.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/30/2012 at 08:28 AM.
    I was able to get amazon on my Sprint Pre 2. I followed your instructions, but instead of using Novaterm in step 5, I used webOS QuickInstall Version 3.14. I went to Tools -> Linux CommandLine and from there I ran the two command lines you listed in step 6.

The app works, and I just made a purchase. I ended up having 2 app icons on the Launcher. I did a second reset, and it got rid of the second icon.

Thanks for the how-to guide.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I was able to get amazon on my Sprint Pre 2. I followed your instructions, but instead of using Novaterm in step 5, I used webOS QuickInstall Version 3.14. I went to Tools -> Linux CommandLine and from there I ran the two command lines you listed in step 6.

The app works, and I just made a purchase. I ended up having 2 app icons on the Launcher. I did a second reset, and it got rid of the second icon.

Thanks for the how-to guide.
    Your post just now made me realize that the latest version of WOSQI has the command line tool taken out. Since I learned how to use novaterm that's all I use, so I didn't notice. In my opinion its worth installing the SDK just so you can use it (especially now that 2.1 SDK is out of NDA).

I wrote this because a friend of mine got a Pre 2 to replace his Pre+ on AT&T, but noticed the Amazon MP3 app was gone and of course sent me a text about it. I looked through the forums, but I found no clear directions. I saw that people have gotten this to work by using the old version of the app and creating custom ls2 file. But the same thing they came up with is included in the IPK's from the Verizon doctor, so this way is much more straight forward.
    you can also access commandline with regular ol' novacom
    Code:
    novacom -t open tty://
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Any reason this wouldn't work on a Pre Plus running 2.1?
    Is this just for the american amazon mp3 store?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiller_17 View Post
    Any reason this wouldn't work on a Pre Plus running 2.1?
    Is this just for the american amazon mp3 store?
    There is no reason I can think of that it wouldn't work on a Pre+ with 2.1. Those IPK's are the AmazonMP3 app itself and the service it depends on to run. They are designed for webOS 2, not so much for specific hardware. The device shouldn't matter.

I know that on my device, with a U.S. palm profile, it accesses the U.S. Amazon MP3 store. I honestly have no idea what would happen in another country. If you try it please report back here and share your experience.
    worked great for me. but one thing makes me wonder:

i extracted the "skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk" and the "com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-1.1.4_armv7.ipk" from the verizone doctor too and installed it the same way like the amazon store, but the skype app didn't appear in the launcher.

any idea why it didn't worked?

btw: i installed the palm mobilehotspot app the same way and it worked flawlessly
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylynx View Post
    ...but the skype app didn't appear in the launcher.
    any idea why it didn't worked?
    Well I found this through a google search, so I went to skype.com/m on my phone, and found this:

So it looks like skype doesn't get a dedicated app, it gets integrated into the messaging app. Try those directions and see if it works.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/29/2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Using this method I was able to install Sprint Nav without any trouble (same method used in a different thread post).

I just extracted the Amazon app and service and using this method I got the following error:

"ipk: Invalid magic"

Any idea what might be going wrong?

EDIT: I'm using WOSQI 3.14
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
    works pretty well on german gsm pre- 2.1 with german profile. But when i want to buy a song with my amazon-account (with credit-card specified) it says that my account has no credit card specified. weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Well I found this through a google search, so I went to Download Skype for your mobile on my phone, and found this:

So it looks like skype doesn't get a dedicated app, it gets integrated into the messaging app. Try those directions and see if it works.
    oh you're right...but if i try to login it says "network issue" i think it only works with verizon and not in germany o2
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    "ipk: Invalid magic"

Any idea what might be going wrong?
    You're obviously using the wrong kind of magic.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    You're obviously using the wrong kind of magic.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Do I need to get some dust out of my wife's Pixi to get this to work?
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
    So the amazon app installed fine, but the prices were in $'s and I couldn't purchase anything. The app suggested going to amazon.com to check my payment method. So I guess the apps needs a bit of a redesign to come with amazon.co.uk.

Mobilehotspot works fine, but i have freetether so...!

skype appears in the messaging app as suggested above, but when i try to login i get 'unable to login due to network issues'. underneath that it says something about agreeing to verizon terms of service so there's probably an issue there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiller_17 View Post
    skype appears in the messaging app as suggested above, but when i try to login i get 'unable to login due to network issues'. underneath that it says something about agreeing to verizon terms of service so there's probably an issue there.
    i have the same problem as i described above. i think it depends on the used carrier network, but after googleing o2 germanys terms about voip it shouldn't be blocked. whats your carrier?
    i'm on o2 uk, who still haven't released an official 2.1 doctor! So maybe hoping skype would work was plain crazy. It's not a pressing issue for me, but it'd be nice to have so I hope they're working on it!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    How do I extract the contents of the "verizon.tar" file?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdinger View Post
    How do I extract the contents of the "verizon.tar" file?
    On windows I would recommend 7zip.

Linux usually has an archive manager built in, so all I have to do is right click and select "extract here".
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I was able to install at home on my Win7 machine. Not sure why I was getting that weird error on my WinXP machine. Even though I installed Sprint Nav with that pc...

anyway, I have access to the MPh app, but cannot listen to previews.
    Last edited by DDT1345; 03/29/2011 at 09:43 PM.
    (All Sprint)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    you can also access commandline with regular ol' novacom
    Code:
    novacom -t open tty://

How do I get to Novacom to enter this? I really miss the Amazon MP3 on my Pre2.
    Last edited by gdinger; 03/30/2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: additional remark
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast