Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    I popped into the local VZW store just the other day to pump them for rumors of the Pre3. More like, try to name drop the device. I said if they get it and Sprint doesn't, I'll be in at store open to get one.

I talked to one of the reps for a while, Brandon. He seemed relatively interested. I wanted to see the build quality of the Pre2, but they didn't have any. The rep said I was the 2nd person to ask for the device since it had been released. The rep was unaware that there was a developer version of the Pre2 on AT&T. I talked for a while about webOS, what I liked about it, the new features and APIs which should help app development, etc. I talked about the Pre3's specs and webOS 3.0/ENYO and how HP screwed up the push out, but some of the awesome features that we'll see down the road from the platform like native resolution scaling which enables developers to increase compatibility with webOS devices. I talked about some of my favorite apps like ClearCard, (Remix), Weatherman, and I demonstrated how they worked along with some of the less known features of webOS like launching while a card is in full screen, etc.

I also talked about Android, how it's been running into fragmentation issues, the direction they've been heading on their platform recently with locking it down. I also discussed a few of their new phones like the Thunderbolt and rumors of the new Bionic and asked him about his favorite phone on the floor right now. We discussed how I don't like the way you navigate in Android, how it feels like the apps are disconnected from the OS, etc.

Side note BOTH of the other reps behind the counter laughed at me when I indicated I was getting the Pre3 if they got it.
    Last edited by EvilKell; 06/06/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    FWIW, I'm in Tennessee. When I went to the Verizon store, we were fortunate and lucky to run into a helpful sales rep who actually was able to navigate the Pre 2 and show us how to use. We eventually got our Pre 2 direct from HP because it was free. Nevertheless, HP must get their WebOS phones with as many carriers as it can and pump up their marketing. Right now, it's an uphill battle because the Android is what most people (sales and friends) know.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPreKnox View Post
    FWIW, I'm in Tennessee. When I went to the Verizon store, we were fortunate and lucky to run into a helpful sales rep who actually was able to navigate the Pre 2 and show us how to use. We eventually got our Pre 2 direct from HP because it was free. Nevertheless, HP must get their WebOS phones with as many carriers as it can and pump up their marketing. Right now, it's an uphill battle because the Android is what most people (sales and friends) know.
    Is this deal still going? The free Pre 2. I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    yesterday I upgraded from my pre plus to the pre 2 and oddly enough I had the exact same experience as post 1! When I asked for the phone the verizon sales rep LAUGHED and then told me that I would be the first to purchase the pre 2 at this location. They didn't have it in stock cuz they never sold one and actually tried to get me to buy an android phone... Don't they get paid to promote all phones?!? And its funny when a cell store can't help you at all with your phone.... Thankfully I know my way around a webos device and personally I couldn't be happier with my choice in phones
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I have to agree with the OP. The problem is real and pervasive in Verizon, ATT, and Sprint Stores. You immediately get these stories about everyone returning them and how many problems they have had with Palm.

My girlfriend stopped to talk to her friend at the ATT kiosk, and they didn't know what a Veer was. Finally one of them stumbled on to one in the bottom of a box.

I work close to this industry, and I certainly understand why the evil carriers don't want anymore problems. And believe me half of the phones are garbage, read the reviews if you don't believe me.

On the other hand, the problem is not unique to Palm. I have had at least two of every smart phone I have owned (Blackberry, LG, Motorola) and I am careful and use cases and screen protectors. I really like my Pre Plus, WebOS is by far my favorite OS. But the keyboard and GPS are crap. The larger problem in many industries is the ignorance of most consumers, and the nasty contracts companies get away with offering. There is a reason Verizon no longer offers a one year contract, nobody seems to be able to make a phone that can last two years for me. The idea that you can buy the average smart phone, and all of its features will work for more than half a day is a big lie. But we keep handing the fraudsters more money, so I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Reliable, thoroughly tested software is very expensive and time consuming to make, and I can tell you that this industry feels like it cannot afford it.
    I spoke to some sales execs at VZW recently and they explained why this happens. The most detrimental thing to happen to a VZW rep is to have a phone returned for anothre model. Whether it's a person that buys an iPhone and then returns to their original to save their upgrade, or someone that buys a Pre+ and then switches to an Android.

Their pay plan is set up so that when this happens, it's like the rep didn't do their job properly and sold the user a phone without properly identifying the customer's needs. There are no exceptions. Replacement for the same model due to a defect doesn't count, but any exchange for a different model does more than just reverse the sale for the rep. It puts them in the hole and literally costs them money.

So all the people that try a hot new phone for a few weeks with no intention of keeping it.. .are killing the rep that sells it to them.

So, the number of people that returned the Pre+ for hardware issues and switched to something else... it only takes one or two of those in a store to scare every rep in the store away from a particular phone or brand.

And unless you come in with your mind made up, they start their recommendations based on what has the lowest return rate and work down the list while they are asking you about your needs. They pitch the safest model and focus on what makes it unique, unless the customer verbalizes specific needs or preference. If you go in and demand a phone with a high return rate, they won't try to convince you against it but they will definitely make sure you know that they have a high return rate and specifically what the most common reasons are that they come back.

I don't know if that's the same measurement system for AT&T or Sprint, but it explains perfectly why VZW reps are still afraid of Palm, and why certain hardware is always pitched first...
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Interesting, that sheds some light on the situation. Penalizing people for things out of their control sounds evil, but this is a large corporation we are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you go in and demand a phone with a high return rate, they won't try to convince you against it
    I'm not too sure about that.
    I just think its amazing multiple people have been laughed at... This is just unprofessional they get paid to sell these phones without laughing in peoples faces or is the vzw training manual a little different?
    I am absolutely FED UP with VERIZON. I just dumped the DSL that ran at 1.5 Mbps when it was advertised at 3.0. I dumped the damn home phone and went to Vonage long ago. I now have cable ISP at 10 Mbps for $6 less a month. I will DUMP VERIZON Wireless next June when the plan runs out. I love my Palm phones have been with them since the Treo.

I just wish we could get some good , clearly speaking, technical advisers.

I have to threaten to "KILL A COW!!" to get to speak to someone here in the US.

It's sad but I guess At&t has the same service but at least I'll be able to scream at different people that don't understand me anyway!!!

Soap
    Last edited by Ssoap; 06/20/2011 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Seems like the 'general public' that buys the Pre 2 actually doesn't like it; maybe there are a lot of returns . Something like half the reviews of the Pre 2 on verizon.com talk about how bad the hardware is. It's strange because you never see these things on Precentral, although then again it is a fansite.
    Actually, read the reviews more thoroughly. Pretty much every negative review is actually the Pre+. These people don't seem to realize that they are putting their review on the wrong phone. The vast majority of reviews that are actually for the Pre 2 seem to be 4 and 5 star reviews and positive about the experience.
    Having thought about it a job at a Verizon store is kinda like a McDonalds "position"! It's not a career type business. It's all about money! And I bet Bombay Bettie and her cousin New Delhi Nick are just trying to save enough to come to America, the land of the free!

Soap

Soap
    going to the verizon store is always a bad experience it always ends up in a fight with the sales rep and we have been to all four of the stores in our town
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234