Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    No offense to the OP, but I always have to take these stories with a grain of salt. I know sales reps in stores aren't tech wizards or geniuses and aren't to be considered industry experts, however, it is HIGHLY unlikely that a sales rep would laugh in the face of a customer (unless the customer just told a joke). As the OP points out, these people just want to sell phones. If someone goes in asking for a Pre 2, the sales rep may be ignorant about it, but they aren't going to laugh in your face and kill any chances of making a sale. I've been in several VZW stores in a few cities over the past few months asking about the Pre 2 and have had nothing but friendly (and, yes, sometimes ignorant) interactions. I just can't by any of the stories on here that say sales reps are flat-out rude about the Pre 2. Frankly, in all the times I've been in a VZW store asking about the Pre 2, I've never even had a sales rep suggest another phone. They pretty much all told me they didn't know when it was coming, but that they could give me a brochure of upcoming phones and their card. These stories just don't make sense from any perspective.
    Actually, it's very likely.
    I've seen some really arrogant sales reps.
    I've been talked down to.
    I've been argued with like I didn't know what I was talking about.
    I can easily believe that a sales rep would laugh.
    Was it a loud, point at the guy laugh? Probably not.
    But I can easily believe a 'chuckle' like laugh.
    And I believe laingman:
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Went to play with a pre2. They were laughing at me. Asked if it still had advanced gestures, they had no idea what that was.

I think palm should give them a phone to take home, otherwise even the reps won't realize what a great OS it has, much less convince the customers.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They are likely anyone who just needs a job for the time being, even college students. I don't think it's a matter of education but a matter of "who cares, this job isn't my permanent one in the long run". Yes they will do whatever to get commission, that's why I dread going to the AT&T corporate store. Seems you're tracked for every purchase you make. I think the person doing the ringing up gets some credit or maybe the whole store does, but all I needed once was screen protectors. "Account phone number please".
    ^And I agree with this.
    Like Diva, I try to avoid going into a store:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-nor...an-online.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Seems like the 'general public' that buys the Pre 2 actually doesn't like it; maybe there are a lot of returns . Something like half the reviews of the Pre 2 on verizon.com talk about how bad the hardware is. It's strange because you never see these things on Precentral, although then again it is a fansite.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Seems like the 'general public' that buys the Pre 2 actually doesn't like it; maybe there are a lot of returns . Something like half the reviews of the Pre 2 on verizon.com talk about how bad the hardware is. It's strange because you never see these things on Precentral, although then again it is a fansite.
    Where'd you get your numbers?
    1/2 is quite an exaggeration.

This is From Verizon Wireless:
    Just call me Berd.
    Yeah, but read the actual reviews. A lot of people hate it.
    I'd love one, but I'm just saying.
    Okay,
    we can move on, but...
    51 Reviews; 4 & 4-1/2 Stars out of 5.
    That's some really good ratings.
    Far, far from 1/2 hate it.
    The only thing they rate 3 out of 5 is battery life.

We already concluded that past experience with the older Pres is why the sales reps aren't pushing the Pre2.

At this point, to claim there's probably lots of Pre2 returns is just unfounded.
    Just call me Berd.
    I found one particular sales person at a franchise VZW store who "gets" webOS. I stopped by there a few weeks ago to check to see if they had any Pre2s in stock. She said they would be getting some soon, and that she would email me. She did, but when I stopped by the other day to see it, I got a different sales guy who was a jerk. He mumbled something about it being the same as a Pre+, and he didn't know why they even had it. Of course, the phone was in the back, so no one would even know it was there.

It's unbelievable.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Part of the problem here is the fanatical pickiness of the webOS community. What I mean by that is that I see people bragging on this site about having gone through 11 PREs. If the sales reps have to take a hit on every returned Pre, that's some seriously bad numbers for them (not sure if repair exchanges count against the same as a return). Of course they're not going to push the phone. There are and were legitimate hardware concerns with the Pre-, and Pre+, but I see lot of people complaining about silly issues with these phones. All phones have hardware issues, and most people just deal with them. This community just seems more picky than most.

Also, lack of training from Palm was to blame about a lot of those returns. They assumed that people would just be able to pick up the phone and use it without thinking about it. Yeah, the intro video guide explains it, but most people skip stuff like that. What Palm needed to do was to give the carrier reps quick training courses so they could pass on this info to their customers. Initially, my wife was very confused by my Pre and hated using it. After I showed her a few basic gestures, it clicked with her, and now she asks to borrow it all the time.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    No offense to the OP, but I always have to take these stories with a grain of salt. I know sales reps in stores aren't tech wizards or geniuses and aren't to be considered industry experts, however, it is HIGHLY unlikely that a sales rep would laugh in the face of a customer (unless the customer just told a joke). As the OP points out, these people just want to sell phones. If someone goes in asking for a Pre 2, the sales rep may be ignorant about it, but they aren't going to laugh in your face and kill any chances of making a sale. I've been in several VZW stores in a few cities over the past few months asking about the Pre 2 and have had nothing but friendly (and, yes, sometimes ignorant) interactions. I just can't by any of the stories on here that say sales reps are flat-out rude about the Pre 2. Frankly, in all the times I've been in a VZW store asking about the Pre 2, I've never even had a sales rep suggest another phone. They pretty much all told me they didn't know when it was coming, but that they could give me a brochure of upcoming phones and their card. These stories just don't make sense from any perspective.

No offense taken at all. And I have had a similar pleasing experience prior to the Pre2 release. I was in the mall and stopped in asking if they had notion of the release date and some information about the device and the reps said "holy mother! Finally some one who isn't asking about the effin iphone! And the proceeded to spit out the relase date, the details and took down my contact information to notify me when the device was avail, which was really refreshing to see reps THAT helpful. My purpose of sharing this story was 'backup' what people have seen and said here on the forums: complaints and concerns as to why the palm phones (as intuitive as they are) really aren't selling. Agreed every phone has it's issues, but that aside, it comes to show that if sales reps are basicaly putting down this device as garbage then the phone can't make it's way to the public, and with out the public experiencing webOS and putting in thier feedback for app ideas or whatever the phone can't grow to it's potential. People are correct: who will spend the time developing apps or trying to fix glitches for such a small user base.
    I suppose I can't blame them - the WebOS phones are definitely the red-headed stepchild of the smartphone market, and Verizon store employees don't even give them the time of day. The Android devices are the bread and butter that pays them, and the iPhone is undeniable as well in its success.

Most knowledgeable people at least can see that WebOS is a great opportunity that has been kind of squandered. First by Palm... and we're all hoping not by HP, but from a sales and dev perspective the damage has been done. It will take a freakin amazing set of devices to turn this around and get everybody on board. At least when talking to the VZW phone customer service, they can recognize that the customers with Palm phones "really seem to like them", and don't laugh you off the line when you say you have one to activate. It's the in-store experience that really shows the intelligence or lack thereof of the whole product line, and their motivation to sell their fast-moving phones that they ship by the truckloads. I'm sure there are just as many Android phones that get returned as the WebOS phones, but they also probably stock way more so it's easier for them to bounce customers from phone to phone until they find one they won't complain about. It all seems to come down to volume, at least in my opinion. There's only one or two Palm phone models that hardly anyone buys, so its a pain in the **** to support and stock them in the stores, so nobody really bothers to learn about them.

I always think back to how Verizon/Motorola sunk $100 million into the marketing of the Droid two years ago... obviously it has paid off, but that kind of commitment doesn't just fade away - they are putting all their marketing and probably training materials into their big sellers. Plus, they just added the iPhone so the Palm/HP phones don't even get the short end of the stick, there's no stick left to have! That's why it will be a MIRACLE if these devices are big sellers, and will truly be a testament to how good of a platform this is, because there has been almost no support from the carriers (VZW and Sprint alike) for these things to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, but if you go in there and announce that want a pre2 and nothing else, they should not act your are an *****
    Absolutely agree with this. When I got my first Pre last October, I walked into the Sprint store and told the guy I wanted a Palm Pre, and he just went to the back of the store, got the Pre, and got me setup and on my way. When I took it in so they can take a look at a problem, they didn't offer to replace it with an Android phone. I've only had great customer service at Sprint stores, and while I do agree that these stories of reps laughing at customers should be taken with a grain of salt, I'd hate to walk in to a Verizon store and ask to look at a Pre 2.
    Makes you wonder why Verizon would bother even carrying it at all doesn't it.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Stopped by the Verizon store in the Mall of America. It is a smaller store, but they had a Pre2 on display and the rep was friendly and did say some good things about WebOS. I asked about if they still had Pre+ to replace mine since my oreo is getting worse, he said unil the end of April, then all warranty issues are mailed. Not sure what that means. Anyway, a mostly positive experience, though the Thunderbolt right next to it looks pretty impressive.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    FWIW, I'm in Knoxville, Tenn and the Verizon store near me had a nice display for it. The clerk was even nice enough to show us how to navigate around since this was my first smart phone. I bought two PRE. Overall we're very happy with the PRE2. It's so logical and clean.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPreKnox View Post
    FWIW, I'm in Knoxville, Tenn and the Verizon store near me had a nice display for it. The clerk was even nice enough to show us how to navigate around since this was my first smart phone. I bought two PRE. Overall we're very happy with the PRE2. It's so logical and clean.
    Welcome to PreCentral.net and enjoy your Pre2's; I certainly enjoy mine.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Agreed.....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. When I got my first Pre last October, I walked into the Sprint store and told the guy I wanted a Palm Pre, and he just went to the back of the store, got the Pre, and got me setup and on my way. When I took it in so they can take a look at a problem, they didn't offer to replace it with an Android phone. I've only had great customer service at Sprint stores, and while I do agree that these stories of reps laughing at customers should be taken with a grain of salt, I'd hate to walk in to a Verizon store and ask to look at a Pre 2.
    The Sprint corporate stores have saved Sprint's posterior over the years! They used to be able to handle everything from bills to repair but over time much of their abililty to help the customer has been stripped away from them. This was one of the major reasons I left Sprint in February after > 14 years. It's no wonder Sprint is in no hurry to get back into the webOS game although I think down the road they might benefit the most from it.

The Verizon stores are much different - it's hard to even figure out if they are a corporate store or a franchise or reseller [they have so many ways of telling you they are not owned by Verizon!]. I had one "authorized dealer" [read not VZ owned!] flat out lie to me about it. The knowledge of those stores is pitiful and their policies are dramatically different from Verizon's corporate stores.

BEWARE of non-corporate stores! Much of the BS that happens in the retail space happens there. As several have said, I don't even bother going into them anymore preferring to call or chat for casual information. VZ is having a major problem with returns as they recently changed their 30-day satisfaction "guaranteed" policy for their contracts to 15 days! And what good is a 30 day return policy on the phones if you have to cancel the new/renewed service contract in 15 days?
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    The Sprint corporate stores have saved Sprint's posterior over the years! They used to be able to handle everything from bills to repair but over time much of their abililty to help the customer has been stripped away from them. This was one of the major reasons I left Sprint in February after > 14 years. It's no wonder Sprint is in no hurry to get back into the webOS game although I think down the road they might benefit the most from it.

The Verizon stores are much different - it's hard to even figure out if they are a corporate store or a franchise or reseller [they have so many ways of telling you they are not owned by Verizon!]. I had one "authorized dealer" [read not VZ owned!] flat out lie to me about it. The knowledge of those stores is pitiful and their policies are dramatically different from Verizon's corporate stores.

BEWARE of non-corporate stores! Much of the BS that happens in the retail space happens there. As several have said, I don't even bother going into them anymore preferring to call or chat for casual information. VZ is having a major problem with returns as they recently changed their 30-day satisfaction "guaranteed" policy for their contracts to 15 days! And what good is a 30 day return policy on the phones if you have to cancel the new/renewed service contract in 15 days?
    It really depends on the store. It is my experience that the corporate stores don't care about the customer.

The Verizon non-corporate (authorized dealer) stores a lot of times gives discounts or throw in extras on full retail price phones.

The particular retailer I go to has tremendous respect for Pre and WebOS which the corporate stores obviously do not have.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I had a very different experience when I bought my VZW Pre2. The sales guy (corporate store) was very enthusiastic about the phone despite the fact that he didn't have any in-stock. He offered to order one for me and have it shipped to me FedEx 2-day for free. In fact, he asked me where I worked just to make sure that if I was due an employer discount that I would get it! I showed him my security badge from work and he applied the discount to my account right there on the spot.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience at a VZ store.. HUGE difference from my previous experiences years ago.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast