Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    my pre2 was a tough phone, surviving several falls @ construction sites with a few minor dings...until last night. Finally, @ home I got up from the couch and dropped it face down on wood floor. Smash. Glass front shattered. Luckily I have pixi back ups, and was up and running again in 10 minutes, but OH, how I miss WebOS 2.0. Anyone else taken a similar step backward lately? If so I feel your pain.
    Last edited by flipberkheimer; 03/26/2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Insurance, correct? I guess the gorilla glass isn't 100%.

ET
  3.    #3  
    nope, no insurance...have the family plan and sitting on an upgrade. Thinking @ this stage I'll wait for the Veer? Not sure. I've had pre+, pixi+, pre2. Really loved my pre2.
    You should have attached a cable to the phone so it wouldn't break, just like the people building skyscrapers attach lines to their tools
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I guess the gorilla glass isn't 100%.

ET
    I'm pretty sure most never assumed it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm pretty sure most never assumed it was.
    Well, from all the demos of people doing all sorts of abuse on gorilla glass without a scratch, I sort of assumed it was. One of the adjectives I've heard being used to describe gorilla glass was unshatterable...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    100%?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Well, from all the demos of people doing all sorts of abuse on gorilla glass without a scratch, I sort of assumed it was. One of the adjectives I've heard being used to describe gorilla glass was unshatterable...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    just sayin ..... what part of the word glass do you not understand ?? ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Don't forget he did say the phone took many impacts prior to this one at construction sites so this phone took its share of licks. NO phone is indestructible.

The Palm Profile system can only go one way with OS version so once it's at 2.x, it cannot go 1.x, you cannot get that 2.x backup to restore to that 1.4.5 device

Im not certain how badly damaged that screen is so you may get lucky with turning off backup to nuke the current backup from palm profile and then with the 1.4.5 device sign into the Palm Profile. If that fails, you can call palm support to revert the profile back to 1.x or get the Pre2 repaired for 199.00 USD. If they wont get your profile reverted, hit the palm forums for mods there have reverted my profile in the past, not certain if they still do it again today...
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  10.    #10  
    palm profile downloaded backups of some things and not others. i figured it was a 2.0 thing. luckily i only had the pre2 about a month and hadnt added many contacts, ect. i am only concerned now with next phone. do i like the pre2 alot? or do i covet the veer? once veer comes out i will make my decision. until then an overclocked and patched to hell pixi+ will take care of business. oh, and to address the gorillaglass. i abused the heck out of it before it broke.
    upload all you contacts to gmail and you'll never worry about loosing them again just sayin. you could upload then copy to a v-card then delete said account and have a back up too .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12.    #12  
    I did have vard backup on my laptop but hadn't updated since I switched to Pre2. Live and learn.
    Can you post a picture?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  14.    #14  
    hope this uploaded
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i suggest that you get a case for your phone maybe it will help save it from this tragedy !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  16.    #16  
    will do as soon as I get my next piece of 2.0x goodness. As for my pixi+, it's tough as nails. I hear one can even bake it in the oven @ 450 dergrees.
    A case wouldn't have helped unless it was one of those weird ones with a flap that closes over the display, which I wouldn't be caught dead carrying. In fact I'd return to this mortal plane of existence just to haunt anybody who dares to put one of those things in my coffin.

I wish this recent <moderated> fad of making telephones out of shatter-prone glass had never caught on. ALL of the phones I'd consider for my next handset are, tragically, made of the one material that is the biggest no-no for an item in constant danger of being dropped. But people don't care for real-life functionality when it's purty and feels solid in their hands. Especially not when it comes with a Catchy Name™ and promises of being indestructible. I mean, the PRPRPR $guy$ $cannot$ $possibly$ $have$ $been$ $lying$ $there$?

And the situation now is that no company can make a high-end smartphone out of plastic simply because the market would just go ahead and not classify it as high-end by virtue of not being glass. Plastic scratches, goes the old adage, and nobody wants to carry a phone with a scratched display around for a year. Paying for new glass screens seems to be fine.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/26/2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: language
  18.    #18  
    I have to admit that my pre+ took similar abuse and only lost a couple of chips around the slider. My 19 yr. old son is still using it.
    Ive dropped my Sprint Pre + god knows how many times and it's still fine despite the crack near the USB door but that wasn't cause by cratering it. Im careful with My Pre2 since unbranded device = no insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    A case wouldn't have helped unless it was one of those weird ones with a flap that closes over the display, which I wouldn't be caught dead carrying. In fact I'd return to this mortal plane of existence just to haunt anybody who dares to put one of those things in my coffin.

I wish this recent <moderated> fad of making telephones out of shatter-prone glass had never caught on. ALL of the phones I'd consider for my next handset are, tragically, made of the one material that is the biggest no-no for an item in constant danger of being dropped. But people don't care for real-life functionality when it's purty and feels solid in their hands. Especially not when it comes with a Catchy Name™ and promises of being indestructible. I mean, the PRPRPR $guy$ $cannot$ $possibly$ $have$ $been$ $lying$ $there$?

And the situation now is that no company can make a high-end smartphone out of plastic simply because the market would just go ahead and not classify it as high-end by virtue of not being glass. Plastic scratches, goes the old adage, and nobody wants to carry a phone with a scratched display around for a year. Paying for new glass screens seems to be fine.
    The plus with glass it is a cleaner display than platics/resins and dont warp over time. The minus:

1. Hella more prone to smudging
    2. More sensitive the high temps making the touchsensors go nuts.
    3. Water exposure the same.
    4. No give like plastics/resigns so they break easier.

Its a matter of pick your poison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast