1.    #1  
    Hi. People say a free tethering app / patch is available for the Pre2. Can someone please post a step by step tutorial on how to get and install the patch. I don't even know how to install the preware and all these utilities for webOS 2.0.

Basically, I'm starting from scratch with a Pre 2, clean with no patches, nothing extra, but need help. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thank you
    Step 1 is read this thread:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...es-themes.html

lots of your questions will be answered here

also look up homebrew documentation in the app catalog for .99 cents also an invaluable resource.
    very good advice, sledge
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    what sledge said.
    samsung i730 - blackberry storm- palm pre plus - samsung omnia - palm pre plus - palm pre 2 - ????

i refuse to buy anything apple with there asinine standards, especially when theres a perfectly good standard that everybody else is using. bah.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks but no thanks. Doesn't really help a newbie and I'm on a Pre 2. I never found anything that could help me and that's why I asked. Sending me back to the convoluted drawing table is little help.

Don't mean to be a smartass, but you won't help new members of your community by sending them to a page full of links and over six pages of threads.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    That is the information you need to read, it is fairly straight forward. You need to be aware of what you are doing in case you screw something up. Homebrew requires some work on your part.
    True. It is essential you get to know, at least the basics of homebrew and how it works. Do a search of the forums for preware as well as "webos internals testing feeds". Freetether is currently in beta testing and hasn't been fully released yet. You especially need to familiarize yourself with homebrew if you're going to be using beta software. Everyone here had their first visit to the forums. I know I had and still have plenty of questions too. Nearly all of my questions have been answered by reading through the forums. Though it can take some time, it is rewarding in the end. After reading through some of the homebrew and freetether/webos internals threads, come back here with any questions you may still have and either I or someone else here will help the best we can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitho View Post
    Hi. People say a free tethering app / patch is available for the Pre2. Can someone please post a step by step tutorial on how to get and install the patch. I don't even know how to install the preware and all these utilities for webOS 2.0.

Basically, I'm starting from scratch with a Pre 2, clean with no patches, nothing extra, but need help. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thank you
    It can be frustrating b/c not everyone is tech savvy (including me) and many instructions aren't given for the average Joe. And it can be hard to find the answer to your question in 20+ pages of posts in one thread. Here's the simplest way I can explain what I did:

I would go here to download WebOS Quick Install on your computer: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v4-04-a.html (click the download link in the first post...you need to have 10 posts to see the link)

Then, go to palm.com/rom and enter your s/n (underneath your battery) to download the appropriate WebOS Doctor for your phone.

Then, put your device into developer mode...the easiest way is to just type webos20090606, tap the developer mode icon and switch it on.

Plug your phone into your computer via usb and tap on "just charge".

Launch WebOS Quick Install. Click on the little globe thingy on the right (beneath the + and - signs). In the "Applications" tab, scroll down to Preware. Select it and then click "install" and Preware appears as an app in your app launcher. Once you have Preware on your phone you can launch it and browse around for patches. Alternatively, while you're still plugged in, you can click on the Patches tab in WebOS Quick Install and browse for patches there.

Many patches require a Luna restart (shorter than a full restart). I'm not sure if Luna automatically downloads with Preware, but if not, you can just launch the Preware from your phone and search for "luna" and install it. If you need to do a Luna restart, many patches will you give that option as soon as it installs. If you're installing several patches and don't want to do Luna restarts over and over again, you can just click to do it later, install all your patches, then launch Luna Manager and tap on "restart Luna".
    Last edited by YankBoy; 03/18/2011 at 03:09 PM.
    yankboy to the rescue! I couldn't post that much help while at work, using my Pre haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    yankboy to the rescue! I couldn't post that much help while at work, using my Pre haha.
    Well, I know it was frustrating for me not having a clue where to start, and a lot of instructions seem to assume you know something (when I know nothing) so I can sympathize I guess. That and I'm bored at work
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    ...not to mention, I didn't even answer his question about FreeTether, lol, but I figure learning how to get WOSQI and Preware is step 1.
    @yankboy, luna is built into webOS.
    well he needs webos quick install to get preware and he needs preware to add the webos internals testing feeds to be able to download FreeTether! You basically did exactly what was asked, you posted a step by step on how to get freetether!
    Has anyone had a recent problem getting freetether to work on Verizon? I haven't been able to get to the internet from my PC since I doctored over the weekend. Strange. It connects to the phone but never gets to the web. If not, I guess I'll doctor again.
    Apart from learning how to use the homebrew tools to get at the software in question, once at that point, the always awesome (shameless wiki author plug) freeTether wiki could be of help too.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    @cantaffordit, I had the same problem with mine on sprint for a bit. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Has anyone had a recent problem getting freetether to work on Verizon? I haven't been able to get to the internet from my PC since I doctored over the weekend. Strange. It connects to the phone but never gets to the web. If not, I guess I'll doctor again.
    Working OK on my VZW Pre 2 right now.
    Just a warning to those using freeTether on AT&T, you might want to be aware of this.

AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop (update) -- Engadget

Of course, there's no authorized way to tether on AT&T, so I don't see what they could do to ya. However apparently now they have some means of calling you out.
    at&t has Connection Manager for tethering.
    I chased this problem myself until last night. What I found s that the instructions seem to be for WebOS versions earlier than 2.0. (see my post under Palm Pre2)

I finally just searched in the "apps Catalog" on the phone for "Preware" and paid the 99 cents to download it. I am not sure if the other software was actually loaded in one of the dozens of attempts to follow the multiple suggestions but when I downloaded the 99 cent application all of the sudden I had "Free Tether" and it works just fine. I immediately called Verizon and cancelled my $20 (2GB) Hotspot service.

Seems a bargain to me!

Now I wonder if there is a limit of data per month like the hotspot and how many PC's can connect at the same time. I will have an answer to the second question in just a moment!

Soap