1.    #1  
    Hi al,

I've had my Pre 2 for about a week now, and so far am loving it. There is so much to do and so many neat ways to tinker with it.

One thing that gets me down is the battery life, however. I knew beforehand that battery life would be an issue, but I didn't realize just how fast the sucker would drain. I've kept screen brightness low (33), turned my email checking to manual, turned off Facebook notifications, kept Bluetooth off, have wifi set to turn off when the phone sleeps, and shut down location services all in an effort to prolong the battery. Despite all that, I can have my phone fully charged when I go to bed, only to find that it has lost a good 35-40% of charge by morning.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have any battery saving secrets that I might not have thought of?

2) Has anyone tried using a larger third party battery with their Pre 2 and seen good results?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Hi al,

I've had my Pre 2 for about a week now, and so far am loving it. There is so much to do and so many neat ways to tinker with it.

One thing that gets me down is the battery life, however. I knew beforehand that battery life would be an issue, but I didn't realize just how fast the sucker would drain. I've kept screen brightness low (33), turned my email checking to manual, turned off Facebook notifications, kept Bluetooth off, have wifi set to turn off when the phone sleeps, and shut down location services all in an effort to prolong the battery. Despite all that, I can have my phone fully charged when I go to bed, only to find that it has lost a good 35-40% of charge by morning.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have any battery saving secrets that I might not have thought of?

2) Has anyone tried using a larger third party battery with their Pre 2 and seen good results?

Thanks!
    1. You might find better battery life by only sleeping 7 hrs instead of 12.
    2. It's probably a good idea to charge your phone while sleeping.

j/k

I find the battery indicator is very innaccurate. The first 50% drops like pouring rain, and as it gets lower it drops slower.

You can use Dr. Battery to monitor your usage, it's more detailed and provides more accurate information. Also has a calibration tool.

Wifi is a massive battery drain. I recommend keeping it off all the time unless downloading applications or browsing heavy sites.

Messaging accounts cause strain. Disabling can help.

Your phone will drain faster if you're in an area with not-so-good coverage. Phone keeps going in and out of 3g, etc.

You can download some patches that enhance the device menu (sconix). This will allow you to switch off data when you want to. Also, there's another program mode switcher that's a little more confusing but allows ultimate customization of data/wifi/gps modes.

If you don't have a hard time seeing, turn the brightness as low as you can.

In the end, I recommend shelling out an extra $50 for an extended battery. I'm not sure what's available for Pre 2, but the selios 2600mAh is absolutely frekkn' fantastic. I've woken up one morning at 6am, and not charged it until 12pm the next day.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Well, battery life takes a few cycles (and by that i mean at least one week) of charging and draining for it to sort of sustain a better battery life.

It's strange but that's how it is.

I've had mine for almost 2 weeks and the first week it was horrible. It's gotten a little better but not significant.

I also think I have a lemon anyways so i'll be exchanging mine tonight I think.

You've done most of the battery saving tips as far as I can tell. What I do is jsut make sure you charge, fully drain, charge, fully drain for the first little bit. I also avoid using the touchstone for that period as well.
    ^^^^^^

Also, make sure you charge & fully drain & fully charge (in that order, no excuses!) at least once a month.

Oh, yeah I almost forgot. You can try an overclock. I find that saves battery. It's controversial, but basically the principle behind it is race to idle. You can read more about it on google, there's like six billion pages on it.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

In the end, I recommend shelling out an extra $50 for an extended battery. I'm not sure what's available for Pre 2, but the selios 2600mAh is absolutely frekkn' fantastic. I've woken up one morning at 6am, and not charged it until 12pm the next day.
    Amen! I bought one and LOVE it. An added bonus is that the case back for the extended battery is pretty grippy and the extra depth makes it fit my hand better.
    are you sure, that you switched off GPS (and not only location services)? this could be the cause.

with no usage, my Pre2 gets through the night (8 hours) with ~10% drop to 90% when fully charged before. only 2-3% when in airplane mode.
    With webos 2.1 battery life is much better than 2.0.1

Did you update your pre?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Amen! I bought one and LOVE it. An added bonus is that the case back for the extended battery is pretty grippy and the extra depth makes it fit my hand better.
    Do you lose touchstone compatibility if you go this route?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Yes, you do, but I wouldn't think you'd need it.

And there's also a way to enable the touchstone for cheap. I didn't bookmark the thread, so I can't point you to it.

Palm Support made some recommendations for saving battery life with the original Pre and they still apply to the Pre 2. Most of them have been mentioned here already, but there may be something useful there.

Link: Extending battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    depends on the one you buy. Some extended batteries come with a touchstone case.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, lots of advice here, thanks!

Let's see...

My Pre 2 is updated to 2.1. The update actually rolled out the same day I got the device.

In regards to GPS, I have it set to off in the main menu screen, as well as this setting:

Location Services -> Preferences -> Locate Me Using
    And then selecting either Use GPS, or Google Services. I currently have it set to Google Services. Is there another setting I haven't found yet?

I've done two complete drains followed by complete charges, and have been using regular nightly charges since. Maybe I should continue fully draining the battery for a while longer?

I don't use a Touchstone for charging, so I'm not really losing anything by going with a higher capacity battery. Does the 2600mAh battery make a big difference in terms of bulk and weight? Right now this is sounding like a pretty good option.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post

I've done two complete drains followed by complete charges, and have been using regular nightly charges since. Maybe I should continue fully draining the battery for a while longer?

Well it's been nearly 2 weeks for me, and it's gotten better as time has progressed
    So I would give it a little while longer
    I have more or less the same issues, happy with the phone, unhappy with battery life. However, for me the turn off wi-fi while sleeping really makes a big difference. Like with you, my battery will drop from 100 to maybe 60% while I sleep if I leave wifi on. With wifi off or in wifi-off-while-sleep I will go down to maybe 90-95% at the most. Of course, don't know how precise this measurement is. I have Dr Battery, but seems to be quite similar values.

I purchased the Mugen 1450 (a little more than the stock 1100 battery), a little bit better but not really a great difference I think. Have mostly used the Mugen battery, so not the best test Good thing about this is I can still use my Touchstone, which I love... and there's a bunch of them at work.

If you download the advanced system framework / device menu, it's easier to turn off GPS properly, like just on/off, maybe that helps. However I keep it on, so all standard except turning mail sync to manual and the wifi-off-in-sleep-mode-thingy.
    I can only recommend to put the phone in flight mode during your sleep In this mode it drains less than five percent. Furthermore you should keep WiFi ON (yes, on), because using WiFi uses less energy as well.
    Honestly, you may also just have a bad battery. I go to bed and when I wake up it's only down to 87% consistently. I leave my screen brightness up, notifications for two email accounts, twitter, text alerts, etc... Still doesn't drain nearly as fast as my other webOS devices.

Of course the other posters could be right as well, just keep draining and charging and eventually it should get a bit better for you.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    WI/FI uses less energy than the 3g when surfing the web, but when the phone is sitting idle it uses quite a bit of energy just looking for the network. If you turn it off when not in use you will save battery.