Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    This is my first message in these forums.
    I've been reading a lot about this phone and I'm seriously thinking of getting it. I like the fact that this phone is relatively small, that it has a qwerty keyboard and a good OS.

However, I live in Europe where there is no support for Palm products, no access to the Apps store and even not an official "keyboard" in my language (although recently someone managed to work something out). Most people here get iphones or Android phones and there are few Palm users (most of them with older models, Treo hardcore fans). Moreover, the future of "Palm" under HP and a place in the smartphone market is not so sure.

So, with all these negative things do you think it would be wise to get a Pre 2? In your opinion is this phone worth it? Is it a good, stable phone with a good OS who will make me proud for my decision?

Sorry for the length of my post, I hope I'll get some answers
    The pre2 has solid hardware, from what i've read. None of the oreo/keyboard/headphone issues of the Pre+/-. The 2.1 software needs some polish, but is getting pretty stable, and by 2.2 will be well ironed out.

As far as app catalog access, that would be an issue for me. I'm not sure if there is any way around this... There is plenty of homebrew out there though, and that should be accessible to you.

Buying a Pre2 will cost you a chunk of change, no doubt. I would suggest getting a Pre+ instead, see how you like it, and if it doesn't work out you've lost less $. With the overclock kernels and other patches you can definitely make the phone what you want. Plus, i would be VERY surprised if HP didn't release a phone in the next year that is supported in your country... Don't quote me on that, but they're definitely pushing webOS hard.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response.
    I have no previous experience with webOS (only WM and a bit of iOS from friends) so can't really tell the difference between the various Pre models. Will the Pre 2 be getting the 3.0 ? Because from what I read some older models of Palm didn't get the 2.x OS.
    Someone told me that I can get the free apps in my country (not 100% sure about it).
    You can put 2.1 on te pre +/-, but it isn't an OTA update, you have to follow a pretty technical procedure.

The pre 2 does get OTA upodates. I'm not sure if it will get 3.x, but it seems likely. Who knows since it won't be out until later this year.

If money is no concern for you i'd go for the pre2. Its way faster and a better phone.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Money is not a concern if the phone is really worth it. If I was in the US I'd surely get it. It's all these limitations that make me unsure.
    Apart from these things, it seems to be a good phone is it not?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have a Pre 2 in the UK with full access to the app store, and support from Palm online has been good.

I also have an HTC Desire and an iPhone and to be honest the more I use the Palm and find out about patches etc I am liking it more and more!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    That's encouraging. I'm thinking of getting it, although the difference between the Europe (UK) store and the US HP Store for an unlocked Pre 2 is currently at about 160 Euros (!!!).
    Can't understand why it is so expensive in Europe.
    Is there any chance that with the Pre 3 coming, there will be a decrease in its price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    That's encouraging. I'm thinking of getting it, although the difference between the Europe (UK) store and the US HP Store for an unlocked Pre 2 is currently at about 160 Euros (!!!).
    Can't understand why it is so expensive in Europe.
    Is there any chance that with the Pre 3 coming, there will be a decrease in its price?
    It's very likely. The price of the Pre2 on contract has been dropping practically by the day. I would be that when the Pre3 is out it will get very cheap.

Have you looked for a Pre2 on ebay? you could probably get one there for a reasonable price. I'm not sure if the 1 year HP warranty transfers though...

Thing about all this is, the Pre3 has much better specs than the Pre2. The Pre2 is (effectively) a developer device for webOS 2.x. If you're anxious for a phone i'd get the Pre+ and then buy the Pre3 when its out in a few months.
    I got mine in today, and so far, I love it. I'm not too worried about specs, more so, real world feel. I've used it to get an address for the bar I wanted, used it to navigate to said bar, and text, Facebook, blah blah blah.... Its fine.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    It's very likely. The price of the Pre2 on contract has been dropping practically by the day. I would be that when the Pre3 is out it will get very cheap.

Have you looked for a Pre2 on ebay? you could probably get one there for a reasonable price. I'm not sure if the 1 year HP warranty transfers though...

Thing about all this is, the Pre3 has much better specs than the Pre2. The Pre2 is (effectively) a developer device for webOS 2.x. If you're anxious for a phone i'd get the Pre+ and then buy the Pre3 when its out in a few months.

Yes I did look in Ebay and in Amazon, however if I get it from a country outside the EU I'd have to pay shipment costs and possibly a customs fee. So I'm kind of limited in my options, I have to get it from the Palm Eurostore: Palm Pre 2 Sim-Free QWERTY - Palm Accessories

I could get it from the US, but then I'd not be able to use it under 3G (because of the different frequencies).