1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I originally doctored my pre last year, using my Mac and in the fall, when I tried to do it again, but it didn't work. A person from HP/Palm helped find the issue, which turned out to be that the old version of the novacom drivers were still running.

I just meta-doctored my frankenpre, great success, but now can't install preware. It is in dev mode, charge only, and I rebooted without connecting my pre (was worried connecting too soon in USB mode was issue, based on all the instructions).

When I open a terminal, and use ps, I can see the novacom drivers running in /opt/nova. Trying to reinstall the Palm SDK kept resulting in errors. I stopped the process, reinstalled the Palm SDK, restarted quickinstall, but it still can't detect the device nor update the drivers.

Any ideas? If meta-doctor worked, shouldn't the drivers be there? I have the latest doctor, quickinstall in same directory.

thanks!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Hi,
    I originally doctored my pre last year, using my Mac and in the fall, when I tried to do it again, but it didn't work. A person from HP/Palm helped find the issue, which turned out to be that the old version of the novacom drivers were still running.

I just meta-doctored my frankenpre, great success, but now can't install preware. It is in dev mode, charge only, and I rebooted without connecting my pre (was worried connecting too soon in USB mode was issue, based on all the instructions).

When I open a terminal, and use ps, I can see the novacom drivers running in /opt/nova. Trying to reinstall the Palm SDK kept resulting in errors. I stopped the process, reinstalled the Palm SDK, restarted quickinstall, but it still can't detect the device nor update the drivers.

Any ideas? If meta-doctor worked, shouldn't the drivers be there? I have the latest doctor, quickinstall in same directory.

thanks!
    try this make a copy of your doctor and change it from .jar to .zip. Open it up and look for the folder resources and extract it -- in this folder you will find 2 installers either a 64 or an 86 -- use the one that is compatible with your computer (the wrong one won't install so don't worry about it too much) after this has run restart the phone -- restart the computer and try again ?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  3.    #3  
    OK, I got quickinstall to work. Pretty sure it was a conflict, maybe permissions issue on original install?

I am not sure of the Mac version of the task monitor, so I opened a terminal, and did a ps, saw the novacom processes running, went to /opt/novacom, saw the stuff there, tried to do a kill -9, failed, then in /opt/novacom/bin found a binary to shut it down (forgot which, maybe a parameter to one). I then tried to uninstall the Palm SDK, and the logs said it also uninstalled novacom. Got out of the directory, tried quickinstall again to reinstall the novacon drivers. It launched, went further than before, but ultimately said there was an error (where do the system out/err messages go?). I then was able to go into /opt/novacom, saw different files, used a new command to start novacom, and then launched quickinstall again. This time it said it was able to install Preware.

My guess at this point is that older versions of quickinstall or Palm SDK may have some issues cleaning up old (running?) files, at least on the Mac.

I think for people running things on a clean machine, things work much easier.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.