Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Hi,



    I just wanted to backup my PalmDatabase.db3 file but I cannot find it on my Pre2 with 2.0.1!?

    There seems to be no dbdata folder inside /var/luna/data.


    Any thoughts?
  2. #2  
    they changed the backend data structure and I don't think there is a single database file anymore.

    but, now they backup sms messages! So there's that going for ya.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they changed the backend data structure and I don't think there is a single database file anymore.

    but, now they backup sms messages! So there's that going for ya.
    This is correct!

    There is no need to back such up manually plus grafting it back was always a pain.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  4.    #4  
    the problem is...my device does not get OTA 2.1 (why ever, support is clueless...).

    So I am stuck with 2.0.1 but I don't want to loose all the messages when doctoring to 2.1 again.

    So, one last time, I would need to restore the database file.


    Anyone has an idea where the messages are stored?
  5. #5  
    they changed the backend data structure and I don't think there is a single database file anymore.
    That's definitely a good thing. After having fumbled around in it in search of a solution to orphan or "empty" SMS-threads, I found it much more "cluttered" than I appreciated.

    {I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
  6.    #6  
    found em!!

    The messages are saved in "/var/db/main/objects.db" file.

    I backed up the whole folder and now I'm going to doctor the phone and then I'm trying to restore the messages, save them to the palm profile (what is supported in 2.1) and re-doctor to get a flawless database with - hopefully palmprofile-restored - messages.


    work in progress...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    found em!!

    The messages are saved in "/var/db/main/objects.db" file.

    I backed up the whole folder and now I'm going to doctor the phone and then I'm trying to restore the messages, save them to the palm profile (what is supported in 2.1) and re-doctor to get a flawless database with - hopefully palmprofile-restored - messages.


    work in progress...
    Rot, how did the work go? Any success?

    I'm in a simular situation, want to upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and keep SMS history. But my focus is mainly to export the data to CSV/TXT-file. An elder thread here at PreCentral led me to SQLite2009 Pro Enterprise Manager at OsenXPSuite - Smart user interface for Visual Basic developers - ActiveX, embedded database, encryption, compression, button, listview, listbox, xp form, xpsuite, northwind trader, query analyzer, msaccess to mysql, auto update, visual basic 6.0, lua

    But I cannot open the objects.db file, error shown is "File is encrypted or is not a database!". Then I have an option to enter an encryption key. How to get that? I can open some other db and db3 files copied from my Palm Pre 2 without problems.

    Anyone have an idea how to solve this?
  8. #8  
    If you have 2.0.1 and your profile says 2.0.1, Palm is backing up your messages and will restore them after Doctoring!!


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    If you have 2.0.1 and your profile says 2.0.1, Palm is backing up your messages and will restore them after Doctoring!!


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes, it will restore your messages but they are simply a text history thread. The threads are not actually linked to your contacts, so any new SMS will start a new thread for that contact. It's something they need to get fixed.

    WebOS 2.x uses db8 instead of db3.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  10. #10  
    As I understand, the text message/SMS backup is supported from 2.1, i.e. not in 2.0.1. That's how I interpret the info in this link: Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Software update information and release notes for Palm Pre 2 - Unlocked (Europe)
    Does anyone have practical experience from SMS backup/restore on 2.0.1?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rigolle View Post
    As I understand, the text message/SMS backup is supported from 2.1, i.e. not in 2.0.1. That's how I interpret the info in this link: Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Software update information and release notes for Palm Pre 2 - Unlocked (Europe)
    Does anyone have practical experience from SMS backup/restore on 2.0.1?
    Yes, I posted right above you. It works like I said it does. And it has worked on 2.0.1 since it released. I doctored countless times while on 2.0.1 and it restored the SMS history every time. The Dr for the EU and NA version are the same Dr.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 04/05/2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  12. #12  
    Pastorrich1, thanx for the clarification. Ok, then maybe I'll try an upgrade tomorrow, no time today.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rigolle View Post
    Rot, how did the work go? Any success?

    I'm in a simular situation, want to upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and keep SMS history. But my focus is mainly to export the data to CSV/TXT-file. An elder thread here at PreCentral led me to SQLite2009 Pro Enterprise Manager at OsenXPSuite - Smart user interface for Visual Basic developers - ActiveX, embedded database, encryption, compression, button, listview, listbox, xp form, xpsuite, northwind trader, query analyzer, msaccess to mysql, auto update, visual basic 6.0, lua

    But I cannot open the objects.db file, error shown is "File is encrypted or is not a database!". Then I have an option to enter an encryption key. How to get that? I can open some other db and db3 files copied from my Palm Pre 2 without problems.

    Anyone have an idea how to solve this?
    I copied the wrong file before upgrading. So actually, I cannot test if it works...SMS lost. :-/

    Btw. I was on 2.0.0 but my profile said 2.0.0, no SMS were saved by Palm with this configuration.
  14. #14  
    It does not work!

    When you overwrite the object.db file, the OS seems to realise this and forces you to restart and log in to your profile again, which I believe removes the object.db file that was just copied.

    Yes, webOS 2.0.1+ will backup your messages, however, you have to be careful what advice is followed...

Posting Permissions