1.    #1  
    I apologize in advance if this has been discussed,, I did not find anything. I just spoke to Verizon this morning about the free hotspot on Verizon. I wanted to know if I upgrade to the Pre2 or more likely the Pre3 if my free mobile hotspot was going to still be part of my service. She was confused at first with the data plan and hotspot. So I re-worded what I wanted to know and she told me it was directly infront of her. She said if you have a Pre Plus, Pre Pixi or Pre Minus and have the free mobile hotspot that it will stay as is when I upgrade to any of the other HP/Palm phones. On another note my local Verizon store has the Pre2 on display and it feels like a toy, even more so than my Pre Plus. They also do not have any in stock the sign says special order only.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre 2 today and the rep clearly told me that my free mobile hotspot would go away as soon as I upgraded to the Pre 2. He asked me if I really wanted to get the Pre 2 because of that. I went ahead with it.
    the MHS app is on both phones, but USING it is only free on the Pre+.

I will find the thread with the details and post it here.

Be the net is that the Pre+ has free MHS use up to 5gb/month.

The Pre2 requires $20/month for up to 2gb/month, and $20 for each 1gb beyond that.

Any time you have the MHS app running, all of your traffic is being charged as MHS traffic, even the email or browsing you do from your phone - so you can really hurt yourself if you aren't careful...

I have switched back and forth between my Pre+ and Pre2 several times and confirmed/proven all of this...
    Here are details about how the vzw plan works. Most people just switched to FreeTether and hope that VZW never figures out how to block freetether traffic:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...2-android.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the MHS app is on both phones, but USING it is only free on the Pre+.

I will find the thread with the details and post it here.

Be the net is that the Pre+ has free MHS use up to 5gb/month.

The Pre2 requires $20/month for up to 2gb/month, and $20 for each 1gb beyond that.

Any time you have the MHS app running, all of your traffic is being charged as MHS traffic, even the email or browsing you do from your phone - so you can really hurt yourself if you aren't careful...

I have switched back and forth between my Pre+ and Pre2 several times and confirmed/proven all of this...
    have you tried switching to your Pre+ just to use mobile hotspot and then switch back to your Pre2 when you're done, to see if they charge you?

It's easy to change phones online, via the Activate phone section... all you need is their ESN #s or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    have you tried switching to your Pre+ just to use mobile hotspot and then switch back to your Pre2 when you're done, to see if they charge you?

It's easy to change phones online, via the Activate phone section... all you need is their ESN #s or something.
    I believe I mentioned that above:

I believe I mentioned that above:
    interesting! so you really didnt get charged?
    does free tether work on the pre 2, and is it really free...meaning, can vzw keep track or notice you are using it?
    yes and yes. until the carriers figure out how to block it,
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    interesting! so you really didnt get charged?
    Seriously? How many more times will you ask the same question?
    Cantaffordit,

You mentioned in another thread that you purchased the pre 2 as part of an early upgrade and plan on doing another early upgrade in one yr for the pre 3. I thought vzw is discontinuing the early upgrade from this point onwards?
    I got my Pre2 off contract, so my upfrade date stayed the same, which is about 20 months from purcbase.
    So you really really really didn't get charged? Sorry, I couldn't resist

freeTether looks like a godsend... we have the 'free' hotspot on my wife's Pixi+ and I have been going back and forth on if I want a Pre+ or Pre2 to replace my old BB Curve. I think making the leap to the Pre2 with my 'enterprise data' plan and not opting for the hotspot option will be the way to go. Then just run freeTether and its off to the races.

On the data plan topic, is there any difference between the regular data and enterprise data as far as the service? That's another thing that might just be different on the new phone, but I had no problem at all adding my Exchange mailbox to sync to my wife's Pixi+ just playing around. She is on just the regular data package.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Cantaffordit, I was pretty sure I was right when talking to the rep over the phone. I asked her a bunch of different ways, oh well, i was hoping.... Ill just wait for the Pre3 and use tether.. until they find a way to block it.
    free tether works great -- i just upgraded my pre + to a pre 2 because i had 2 bad ones in a week - they gave me an early upgrade which was in store price for a new 2 year +20 dollars. so i got a new pre 2 for 90 dollars after 12 months with a pre + . i have been with verizon since 92 (when they were airtouch) and they take good care of me -- but i think if you are an existing customer and you go into the store you can usually get treated ok
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Has anyone tried exporting copying the Hotspot from the Pre+ over to see if it would work? I know I am going to get blasted for oversimplifying, but since you can make files into .ipk's and then reinstall some of them...I thought I'd ask anyway.

If this is an account based issue, then I retract my question.

I recall doing something similar to this on my old Treo with a couple of apps. They worked fine till I had to do a hard reset, and since that was a rare occurrence, that was fine with me. I even had them on the SD card to copy them over when I did the restore.

ADDENDUM: I just read it was ESN based...bah. Nice Try I guess...I guess that's the first reason it might actually be a benefit to have a SIM card, LOL.

ADDENDUM #2: I may even delete this. I had no idea how good FT is. Silly me. It's much improved from the initial version I saw...who needs MHS, anyway?
    Last edited by copasetic; 07/26/2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: updated information.
  17.    #17  
    i just took the plunge and upgraded one of my lines to the pre2, my pre+ was dropped a couple of days ago and now a bunch of things are not working right. soooooooo... i have free mobile hotspot on my pre2. i will be receiving the phone on thursday, my rep said i was grandfathered in, i made her put our entire conversation on my account to cover my ****... i will post up once i receive everything.
    your hotspot won't be free. If she figures out how to reverse the charge, it will still only be for 2gb. the phones have different plans available...
    Maybe not. Even if charged, Verizon was allowing existing data customers (before the new plan switch) a phone upgrade with their current plan.

your hotspot won't be free. If she figures out how to reverse the charge, it will still only be for 2gb. the phones have different plans available...