Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

    I am a Verizon subscriber. I am looking at possibly upgrading my BB to the Pre 2. I also know that the Pre 3 is coming out during the summer months (will it even come out to Verizon?). Do you think it is better to get a Pre 2 now or wait for the Pre 3? My primary use is email, texting, and web.

    Thank you
  2. #2  
    If you can survive on your BB for a while until the Pre3 comes out, then wait but if not get the Pre2.

    I have it and its freakin awesome.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdv View Post
    Hello,

    I am a Verizon subscriber. I am looking at possibly upgrading my BB to the Pre 2. I also know that the Pre 3 is coming out during the summer months (will it even come out to Verizon?). Do you think it is better to get a Pre 2 now or wait for the Pre 3? My primary use is email, texting, and web.

    Thank you
    I definitely would not use an upgrade on the Pre 2. I have it and think it's a great phone, but I got mine for free. There is no sense in using an upgrade for the Pre 2 now unless you can afford to buy the Pre 3 in a few months. The Pre 3 will be superior in every way to the Pre 2. If you can't wait for WebOS, then I'd suggest checking for a Pre Plus on Ebay to use off contract. You can get them for under $100. I'll be upgrading in December, so hopefully by then most the bugs that will certainly accompany an HP/Palm device will have been resolved.
  4. #4  
    I would wait. The pre 3 looks solid. The phone looks tough and fast. Although you could buy the phone and sell it prior to the pre 3 release. You would lose like 150$ on the deal but at least you can use the pre 2 for a while. (Depending on the price of the pre 3) I.E. Pre 2 is worth 499.00$ The pre 3 is say 600.00$. Sell the phone on ebay for 350.00 (used) and buy the pre 3 straight out. 150.00$ loss.
  5. #5  
    Why not get a Pre 2 for around $300 or so? Craigslist, eBay, etc...just got one yesterday brand new for $300 from craigslist. Then get the Pre 3 when it comes out.
  6. #6  
    That's what I decided to do. Since I'm an HP employee, we're "dogfooding"...to steal a term from Google. Basically, HP is internally recommending all employees begin using Pre2's, so I just ordered one.

    I've been WM6.x for a few years now (started with a Sprint Touch Pro, upgraded to a TP2, sorta hated both within 3 months after getting them.) I'm now over the WM honeymoon, and have heard nothing but raves about WebOS. As an aspiring developer, I also believe there's some awesome things HP could do with these things for internal and Enterprise Services use...so I decided to go ahead and pick up an unlocked Pre2 and switched from Sprint to AT&T (I've been coveting the simultaneous voice/data for a long time now...)

    So, I'm just saying HI, here, I initially was gonna hang on until the Pre3 came out...but since it's not 4g anyway, I'll get the Pre2 now, and wait for LTE/HSPA+/WHATEVER-4G to get built-out in the US, and upgrade to a "Pre4G" when that's available.
  7. #7  
    Possible strategy to get both (I am currently on Sprint and no longer under contract)

    (1) Buy the Palm Pre 2 for Verizon, when the price drops below $50: save $100-$150 on the original price.
    (ignoring the potentially more expensive plans since I might be able to get 15-22% discount).

    (2) Buy the Palm Pre 3 if it comes out on Verizon with savings from (1) plus difference in off contract price and other potential discounts.

    Strategy would not work so well if:
    (i) price does not drop below $50 again sometime soon.
    (ii) Verizon does not carry the Pre 3 at release.
    (iii) Out of contract price for Pre 3 is above $450 or no other discounts.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. #8  
    I think the best way is to wait for the next couple of months. If it is coming to Verizon you will know soon enough. Pre 3 will be a lot better than Pre 2.
  9. #9  
    I love the Pre 2, but have to recommend waiting, if only for the faster processor and auto-focus camera.
  10. #10  
    We don't even know if the pre 3 is coming to vzw, and if it does, I guarantee vzw will delay it's release as long as possible for "testing"
  11. #11  
    I've chosen pre2, can't wait for summer!
  12. #12  
    I got a Pre2 but my upgrade comes at the end of this year and it has Pre3 already written on it. If it weren't for the larger screen, i'd be satisfied with the Pre2. Its a really nice phone.
  13. #13  
    Both
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  14. #14  
    I just ordered the Palm Pre 2 for FREE!!


    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Possible strategy to get both (I am currently on Sprint and no longer under contract)

    (1) Buy the Palm Pre 2 for Verizon, when the price drops below $50: save $100-$150 on the original price.
    (ignoring the potentially more expensive plans since I might be able to get 15-22% discount).

    (2) Buy the Palm Pre 3 if it comes out on Verizon with savings from (1) plus difference in off contract price and other potential discounts.

    Strategy would not work so well if:
    (i) price does not drop below $50 again sometime soon.
    (ii) Verizon does not carry the Pre 3 at release.
    (iii) Out of contract price for Pre 3 is above $450 or no other discounts.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
    I initially was gonna hang on until the Pre3 came out...but since it's not 4g anyway, I'll get the Pre2 now, and wait for LTE/HSPA+/WHATEVER-4G to get built-out in the US, and upgrade to a "Pre4G" when that's available.
    I thought the GSM version of the Pre 3 was supposed to be an HSPA+ phone.
  16. #16  
    I went with the Pre2. Mainly because I don't want a bigger phone, I like the size of the Pre2. But also, thre's no telling when the Pre3 will arrive on Verizon. If they follow the same pattern as the Pre2 it won't be until this time next year. You'll be past half way to another contract renewal by then.

    I have a BB for work. I'd rather have a Pre2 now and wait a year to go to a Pre3 from there than risk dealing with a BB for a year.
  17. #17  
    I think I'm with you Roland.. in the same boat you were in and April is my upgrade month. Just barely getting by with my BB 8330 and don't want a new one. Been looking at used Pre Plus phones but thinking of just going for the free Pre2 renewal and getting a taste of something newer until the Pre3 comes.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks to everone for the information.

    I went to the Verizon store. I found out that I have a $100 discount to go with my upgrade. With all of that, the Pre 2 would only cost ~$50. Still, I lose my upgrade status if I go with it. I didn't ask but I wonder how long that discount lasts?
  19. #19  
    If you can live with the BB a bit longer wait for the Pre 3. It will be a major improvement over the Pre 2.
  20. #20  
    I'm in a similar boat. Verizon BB that is falling apart. Although it still works. I love WebOS. Had a Pre Plus on ATT before our family plan changed to Verizon. I've been saving my upgrade and got the Storm 2 on eBay for $100. Waiting for the newest batch of phones for this year. Deciding among the pre2 pre3 and one of a dozen android phones (each of which cleverly leaves a feature out). I do need a phone soon as the damn BB can't hold a charge anymore and charges kind of sparingly.

    Thanks for any advice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions