1.    #1  
    So I've been having problems with my Pre 2 (again, despite returning my first one to the store for a new one) so I doctored it last night. Now when I try to add a picture to one on my contacts it seems to just be a super zoomed in portion of the photo. I have attached a photo of the messaging application to show you this compared to two other contacts where photos were polled from facebook.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have tried adding a picture through the photo application as well as the contacts app.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you're adding in the photo, are you making sure that the selection square has not zoomed in like that?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stiffler-Dean View Post
    When you're adding in the photo, are you making sure that the selection square has not zoomed in like that?

Yes I have tried multiple times and multiple photos. I have tried zooming in slightly to how I want it cropped to not doing any moving or zooming in of the frame. I get something similar to that every single time.
    2.1 has killed my Linked In photos completely. After the upgrade I could only see the pics when I went into the contact itself so I removed and re-added the Linked In account. Now the photos don't show at all anywhere.
    I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has problems like this. Not sure why that's happening. I'll poke around and see if I find anything.

~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    I have the same issue. The contact photo cropping is buggy and the end result is a super-zoomed image, not what one selects. Right now I have to edit the photo with Google contacts in my browser to get the desired effect.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've had success using picture files resized to less than 960x960. But I believe the default size has been changed from 320x320 to 480x480. So use a photo atleast 480 for one dimension or it will default to a lowres version in the phone app. For whatever reason the cropping doesn't work in 2.x anymore.

In search for a solution I found the file "Type.defaults" in /var/file-cache/contactphoto/. Maybe someone with more expertise can look into that file. That's where I found the 480 figure for default size.
    Last edited by emc350; 03/18/2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Found a workaround for this issue.

If you use Google/GMail as your primary contacts account:

First you need to block the contacts app from syncing the low res photos from Gmail and overwriting your new photos. Your photos will still sync to Gmail, but not from it.

Use my patch. Found below.

Next start setting your contact photos as follows:

1. Open the photo you want to use in the photo app.

2. Zoom in to the section you want to use. If you want to use the whole photo don't zoom in. Either way try to have the persons face in the top half of the screen.

3. Take a screen capture (orange/gray button + "SYM" + P) with out any of the buttons on the screen. This is making a nice 320x480 file for you to use.

4. Go into the contacts app to start setting your photos. (It's important you set the contact photo from within the contacts app and not from the photo app. Otherwise they won't display in the contacts app.)

5. When you choose the photo your going to use from the screen captures, it's not going to matter where you move the cropping square. No matter what it's going to use the whole photo.

6. Once you set the photo let it pop up in the contact info before moving on. It will be a bit skewed/compressed in the contact app but will display fine everywhere else.

7. Repeat for the rest of your contacts.

Some work but well worth the nice hi-res pictures in the phone app.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by emc350; 03/19/2011 at 01:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    i think there are still some issues if you have multiple gmail accounts. Can this be made to work for all gmail accounts?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yeah, I got this issue as well. Is there an actual fix for it yet on 2.1?

I'm using photos I've taken on the phone, so they should frickin' work, lol
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Take it this is one of those "I'll put up with it" kind of issues then? And for such a basic aspect of the phone?
    Yeah, I am still using 2.0 (Verizon) and sadly, I've kind of excepted the lack of pictures on contacts. I've never heard if its been correctly in 2.1, however, I assume it has been.

ET
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Sadly, I am on 2.1, still not fixed. What a bag of wank.