1.    #1  
    Ok.. I know what you're thinking.. "Duh." But it's not all that simple for me, considering my Pre Plus can do quite a bit. Pre 2's Processor is clocked at 1ghz... But so is my Overclocked Pre Plus. That's really the only qualm I have at the moment.. Other than the sexy slightly-more modernized for 2010 (HAH) look, and the better interface.. but I don't really know the real benefits of putting up 150.00 tomorrow once my taxes come in.

Sure.. I want to do this. I even went to Verizon Wireless to see how much the plan would run me. And.. well.. I can do it..

I'm just on the fence about it. I mean, if it was free, this thread wouldn't exist. (No, I'm not a pre-existing VZW customer, so I don't apply for the Free Pre.) And I would eventually own a Pre 2 here in the near future anyway, as all I ever own are Palm-based Phones since my first one in 2005 with the Treo 650. (I can't go back!) I just don't want to put the money down for this, and really have nothing new presented to me. So I have a few quick questions, as I realize this is TL;DR.

Are there any Apps that don't currently work with Pre 2 once I move my Palm Profile to it?

Are there any benefits (besides having apps that only work in 2.x.x) to owning this over the Pre Plus/Minus?

And last, Even with Overclocking, is it just much more stable to use with an actual processor clocked at 1ghz, than a processor overclocked to 1ghz? Any real benefits? (Besides the insanely obvious, Battery Life. Wow. Haha.)

Thank you. I get my money hopefully at the latest tomorrow, and just can't but help to get me a new gadget. I love them. (Hell, I even owned an N-Gage. Really. Just because. Haha.)
    lol, you are trying to talk yourself into it.

Just my two cents, the over clocked Pre Plus can't stand up next to a Pre 2. I made the move and I'm glad I did. The only thing wrong with my Pre Plus was the crack, but it still worked.

ET
    I have my VZW Pre 2 and I love it (mostly b/c of the now functional GPS [well, mostly]), but I got mine as a free replacement for the Pre Plus w/o having to get a new contract. I do really like it, but I would not have gotten a Pre 2 with a new contract when the Pre 3 is going to be out in a few months and leave the Pre 2 in its dust. Unless you can afford to get the Pre 2 now and the Pre 3 in a few months or get a Pre 2 off contract somehow, I would hold off for the 3.
  4.    #4  
    Of course! Haha. That and I just looked at the Coverage Map for Verizon.. This is my last month with AT&T and it's already paid for.. The horrible downside.. I get standard EDGE (2G) Network in this middle-of-nowhere place I live.. 3G coverage is spread crazy throughout this county (helps that the verizon tower is actually on a piece of land about 1/2 mile away. I can see it from my house.).

It took literally a day to download Asphalt 5. When I was in a 3G coverage area about 10 miles out, I downloaded many more apps in the hour I was there. Assassins Creed, NFSU, Rock Band, Sandstorm and Angry Birds all downloaded in nearly no time..

So another reason is of course, Connection. That, and freetether is my friggin friend. This is how I'm on the computer right now, "enjoying" the "fast" speeds through this "awesome" "network".

Haha.

However, when I lived in Virginia Beach, my connection was just awesome. And AT&T never did me wrong...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I have my VZW Pre 2 and I love it (mostly b/c of the now functional GPS [well, mostly]), but I got mine as a free replacement for the Pre Plus w/o having to get a new contract. I do really like it, but I would not have gotten a Pre 2 with a new contract when the Pre 3 is going to be out in a few months and leave the Pre 2 in its dust. Unless you can afford to get the Pre 2 now and the Pre 3 in a few months or get a Pre 2 off contract somehow, I would hold off for the 3.

I completely expect this to be quite pricey once it comes out.. and everything about it is MUCH more appealing than the Pre 2, by far.
    As great as the Pre 2 is, the Pre 3 is going to render it utterly obsolete, so I couldn't justify making a 2 year commitment to the Pre 2 when the 3 is literally around the corner. But, heck, some people in this forum seem to get a new phone every other month so maybe you can swing it. I'm a poor 2 year contract guy though.
    Why don't you do it on a 1 year plan? VZW site says $219 for the phone with a 1 yr contract. There is also a VZW store on the forum who may offer the 1 yr plan for less (thread below). That way you will be able to buy the Pre3 or whatever the next gen VZW phone will be when it arrives.

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...vzw-store.html
  8.    #8  
    I checked out the link, and I'm assuming I'd get a NY number if I bought through the guy, right?

And another question.. I think I glanced over at this at one point, and I've been trying to google this info.. But is the same Bluetooth technology that's in the Pre Plus/Minus, or is it the Bluetooth connection that does more than audio?

I don't know much about bluetooth. I really don't use it for other than built-in signal connection between my Wii and PS3. Haha.

EDIT: Also another thing I thought of... Would there still be a reason to install Govnah to the phone?
    Last edited by totalj; 03/10/2011 at 08:43 AM.
    I am sure most of you already know this but: the pre2 is free on verizon through HP.com right now (with a 2 year). My only dilemma is whether I will be able to use a relatives upgrade (from a different Verizon plan) in the summer for the pre3 if it comes to Verizon as well.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I bought the Pre 2 and couldn't be happier. My experiences with the Pre and Pixi help me realize just how much better the Pre 2 is. If you can afford it just by it off contract and you can can use your upgrade to buy the Pre when it becomes available. Then sell your Pre 2 on ebay and use that to subsidize the cost of buying a pre 3 on contract. Its a win win if you can front the money. Just my opinion!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    Quote Originally Posted by totalj View Post
    I checked out the link, and I'm assuming I'd get a NY number if I bought through the guy, right?

And another question.. I think I glanced over at this at one point, and I've been trying to google this info.. But is the same Bluetooth technology that's in the Pre Plus/Minus, or is it the Bluetooth connection that does more than audio?

I don't know much about bluetooth. I really don't use it for other than built-in signal connection between my Wii and PS3. Haha.

EDIT: Also another thing I thought of... Would there still be a reason to install Govnah to the phone?
    You would have to ask the VZW store what number you would get.

Bluetooth currently does not do touch-to-share, if thats what you mean. It supposedly is coming in 2.2 in the summer for the Pre3, I believe there are conflicting reports about whether it will come to Pre2 as well, we will have to wait and see. I currently would not rely on it coming, given Palm's current stance towards older devices.

Govnah will help you manage the overclocking kernel as I understand its function. If you plan to overclock the Pre2 and there is a kernel for it right now in the testing feed, then you will need to install Govnah. I have it showing on my exhibition right now and it looks cool.
  12.    #12  
    ....aaaaand I went and did it. My money came in early, and I did it.

Yay.
    enjoy!
    I am trying to pick up a used vzw pre + and using that until the Pre3 comes out so I don't burn my renewal which comes up in April. Some crazy people on craigslist are almost giving these away now. $50 for a pre plus and not needing to sign another contract has got to be one of the best deals I've seen yet.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Congratulations. I'm loving my Pre 2. I got it with a coupon though so no contract.

Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I am trying to pick up a used vzw pre + and using that until the Pre3 comes out so I don't burn my renewal which comes up in April. Some crazy people on craigslist are almost giving these away now. $50 for a pre plus and not needing to sign another contract has got to be one of the best deals I've seen yet.
    I was considering buying a Pre + like this online but I wasn't sure if the warranty is transferable? I'd hate to buy it then be stuck with a broken one if/when something happened to it.
    Well, I bought my wife's Pixi Plus off craigslist last year and activated it on our VZW line and it was working great. Last week her screen developed a crack and stopped responding to touch, so we went in to the Verizon store fully expecting to have to pony up for a new device (I even went as far as looking at the cheap Android phones *shudder* to save $$), but when we started talking with the sales rep she OK'd a "one time replacement" of the Pixi when I started asking if they had any available. SWEET! Now we may just have been lucky, but sure enough they gave us a free replacement Pixi Plus in the mail and we shipped the cracked phone back.

My theory is I always want to have a good backup phone, so if I get a used Pre Plus for a good deal from someone who's used it for a couple months and didn't want it. Then I can keep my Curve as a good backup in case the worst happens to the used Pre Plus.

Sure, the Pre2 is basically free now with a contract extension, but it really seems like the Pre3 is worth holding out for. I can't afford to buy phones at full price so if I can hang on to my upgrade I'll get by with a Pre Plus. It seems very adequate still, and the fact that we can get WebOS 2 on it is even better. (Plus the fact that verizon seems to let the Pixi Plus/Pre Plus fly under the radar for the Mobile Hotspot additional charge, makes it one of the best deals out there for Verizon right now. All the newer devices require an additional fee to get Mobile Hotspot on the phone.)
    Ive had the Pre 2 for a couple months now and I really love it. Im trying to get Adobe figured out though. It wont open the docs when I receive them for some reason. Battery life could be a bit better other than that its far better than any phone Ive ever had. Im glad HP bought the Palm platform.
    just did a sprint pre 2 conversion = it is faster, and seems faster than any uberkernel'd pre-

feels more solid in the hand too = more durable lets hope