Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hey, just upgraded to 2.1

    It seems since updating, in areas where I'm used to the 2G Ev icon, I'm getting bars of 3G!

    Is this a 2.1 improvement, a coincidental carrier improvement or am I losing my mind?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  2. #2  
    Ev is 3G...
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Hey, just upgraded to 2.1

    It seems since updating, in areas where I'm used to the 2G Ev icon, I'm getting bars of 3G!

    Is this a 2.1 improvement, a coincidental carrier improvement or am I losing my mind?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    is it a CDMA or GSM device?
    If CDMA, is it possible that there is a newer PRL included with the doctor? Or perhaps it auto-checks and downloads the latest for you...?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    is it a CDMA or GSM device?
    If CDMA, is it possible that there is a newer PRL included with the doctor? Or perhaps it auto-checks and downloads the latest for you...?
    I'm on GSM in Australia... :S



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Ev is 3G...
    I though Ev was 2G.

    In order of signal strength, I get 3G logo, Ev logo, G logo or nothing.

    3G is the fastest (obviously) Ev, is usually, but not the best, and G, I can hardly pull up a google search.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  6. #6  
    I actually just noticed this earlier today. I have a Sprint Pre 2 (I'm currently on 2.0.1). One block away from where I live is a complete dead zone. I always drop calls, and lose reception on that entire block & it's been that way since I had my Pre minus.

    Today I walked down that entire block, and my conversation didn't drop. I even was able to hold a signal further into the subway station than usual. Something about the Pre 2 must have better reception. I'm not sure how though.
  7.    #7  
    Well this is really proving to be quite the mystery for me.

    I'm on the exact same Pre 2 that was getting me maybe 2 or 3 bars of 2G (Ev) in the areas in question. Now I'm finding 4 and even 5 bars of 3G in the same locations.

    Only change I've done to the phone is update from 2.0.1 to 2.1

    Could my carrier (vodafone AU) have rolled out a new network that 'works better in more places' (quote from their main competitor :P)

    Either way, I sure like the thought of seeing the 3G icon on my Pre's topbar more frequently! Good feeling

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I though Ev was 2G.

    In order of signal strength, I get 3G logo, Ev logo, G logo or nothing.

    3G is the fastest (obviously) Ev, is usually, but not the best, and G, I can hardly pull up a google search.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I should have thought about your location. It might stand for something different in Australia?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I should have thought about your location. It might stand for something different in Australia?
    must be

    in NA, depending on if you're GSM or CDMA

    CDMA - EV is 3G, 1x is 2G
    GSM - 3G is, well, 3G, E (edge) is 2G
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    must be

    in NA, depending on if you're GSM or CDMA

    CDMA - EV is 3G, 1x is 2G
    GSM - 3G is, well, 3G, E (edge) is 2G
    Thanks for the explanation there man. I understand that system much better now.

    Any Aussie forum members know if Hutchinson (vodafone, 3, Crazy Johns) rolled out an updated network coverage in Melbourne, Australia recently?



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  11. #11  
    Vodafone is rolling out some 850MHz 3G. If you've got an AT&T Pre, this will be why you're suddenly getting 3G.
  12. #12  
    Sunspot activity...elecromagnetic boosting improves GSM band reception...

    I just made that up...I almost believed it though!

    By the way, hey down under, I appreciate you guys! I got to hang out with some great soldiers from Australia last fall. I was on an extended project for over 2 months on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean...the first time I've been in your hemisphere by the way...and some of your finest were heading back home from Afghanistan with their helicopter and crew for the Afghan winter. They stopped overnight in Diego Garcia and I was taking a windsurfing lesson (the Military Wellness and Readiness crew and facilities on DG are great!) along with some of the fellows from that unit. They were very friendly and sure picked up the windsurfing faster than I did! They gave me some pointers, and the next week I ended up winning the beginner's windsurfing regatta...I even have a t-shirt to prove it!

    Sorry, went off topic, but thanks again for sharing your countrymen with us for a couple days.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  13. #13  
    Did the 2.1 update for the Pre2 GSM device include a newer radio firmware? That might do it...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    Vodafone is rolling out some 850MHz 3G. If you've got an AT&T Pre, this will be why you're suddenly getting 3G.
    This is most likely the answer.
    Have a search of whirlpool.net, there are long threads about Vodafones 850mhz 3G roll out, I have an AT&T Pre2 in Sydney, and almost always have working 3G.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    This is most likely the answer.
    Have a search of whirlpool.net, there are long threads about Vodafones 850mhz 3G roll out, I have an AT&T Pre2 in Sydney, and almost always have working 3G.
    Well my AT&T Pre Plus (unlocked) isn't on vodafone, my sister has it and she's on a crappy cheap network.

    I however, am on an unlocked GSM Pre 2 from the online HP store in the US.

    I'll check whirlpool.net when I next can

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  16. #16  
    GPS reception is better now, Navit is working now on pre2 , which was not working before
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    GPS reception is better now, Navit is working now on pre2 , which was not working before
    That's good news. Thanks for the info there...what's navit? Is that an alternative to google maps or is it a GPS type app?



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    GPS reception is better now
    I've noticed the GPS is working better, but the southern hemisphere (2^32 / 1e7) bug still hasn't been eliminated.

Posting Permissions