webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Unlocked Pre 2 & Straight Talk
Unlocked Pre 2 & Straight Talk
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By jtsdad
  • 1 Post By johnsonx42
  • 1 Post By johnsonx42

Old 03/09/2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've done some searching in these forums and in Howard Forums, but I didn't find any specific posts that detailed whether or not this worked and how.

I haven't purchased the Nokia E71 and the 45/unlimited plan to test yet. I was hoping someone out there may have already done it. I have found the APN/MMSC codes from an iPhone 4 using straight talk post on HF.

Is there a requirement to go through the steps as in the frankenpre for sprint to update the tokens to match straight talk?
junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2011, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I too would like some info on this.
Have purchased the N E-71 but not activated yet. Just using on WiFi
I was hoping to use a pre3 when available.
Old 03/09/2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

From what I've read, once you activate the E71, you have 30 days to take it back. Once you take it back the service is terminated.

I'm thinking of doing it soon, I was just hoping to have it kind of figured out before so I don't port my number over and be stuck in limbo. (I'd port it to google voice, but I already have a google voice number that I use for my business which is already associated with my mobile number).
junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is there any info or success running a CDMA Pre 2 on Straight talk? Can it even be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
kickenchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickenchicken View Post
Is there any info or success running a CDMA Pre 2 on Straight talk? Can it even be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
From what I understand, Straight Talk uses SIM cards, no need use a CDMA, just buy an Unlocked GSM Pre 2 and activate it on Straight Talk. I just activated my Pre 2 on straight talk yesterday and it works really well!
Old 06/27/2012, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
From what I understand, Straight Talk uses SIM cards, no need use a CDMA, just buy an Unlocked GSM Pre 2 and activate it on Straight Talk. I just activated my Pre 2 on straight talk yesterday and it works really well!
Ive just picked up a veer and am using it as an att gophone. i'm interested in using it on the Straight Talk network...any insight? Also...I have a picked up a pre 2 (dont have it yet)...are the instructions on Straight Talk's website sufficiently detailed to get this up and running regarding the APN settings...or is there more you have to do?
rtshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

ST offers full services under the "bring your own phone" option. Configuring isn't hard and everything works.

These settings have been working for me with Pre 2 and now Veer as well... Phone, data, SMS, MMS all good.

They send you everything you need to know to set up your phone along with the SIM card. Just tuck port 80 on the end of MMS proxy (:80) since that isn't a separate entry line... And MMS max size set at 600. (That bit is missing from the instruction card, but is a default on HP phones.)

My Pre 2 gets 3g and my Veer gets H+ speeds.

<edit> You may want to unlock your Veer... I think it will still use ST as an AT&T mvno carrier without unlocking: based on a conversation I had with someone... But if it doesn't and you need to unlock, try Dogbert's Method. http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2011/07/...sm-phones.html

I used it on two Veers and it was easy. They both accepted T-Mo SIM as a test.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by AwesomePalmPre127 likes this.
Thanked by johnsonx42, jtsdad, rtshoff
Old 06/27/2012, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does it support simultaneous data and phone calls
snarf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarf77 View Post
Does it support simultaneous data and phone calls
I had absolutely no clue... so I had someone phone me while I was on the web on my phone and yes the call came through... SMS text as well.
Old 06/27/2012, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

i get emails when on the phone... ATT Straight Talk sim...
jtsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Love it! $45/mo no limits that I've hit so far in normal usage plus the freedom to take the phone with me overseas and slap a prepaid SIM. Two weeks in France and I didn't skip a beat simply swapped the ST SIM with a LeFrenchMobile SIM, added some data allowance and off I went.
Much much much easier than when I took the unlocked Pre 2 to Australia and I was still a Sprint subscriber. It was easy porting my Palm Profile over from the FrankenPre2 to the Pre2; the return to the US was hard as I was forced to re-image the phone when I landed in the US.
Guys (and gals), this is the way to go!
Old 06/27/2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I love my ST pre 2 as well, it is SO much faster than my previous sprint palm pre! BTW, RumoredNow is correct, it only took me a few minutes to configure my data.
Old 06/27/2012, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I had absolutely no clue... so I had someone phone me while I was on the web on my phone and yes the call came through... SMS text as well.
Wow, that is awesome, my Sprint palm pre couldn't do that either!
Old 06/28/2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sprint is CDMA... data and voice cant work simultaneously. GSM networks (ATT/TMo) or any other SIM card use network CAN support data and voice at the same time.
jtsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 06/28/2012, 08:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsdad View Post
GSM networks (ATT/TMo) or any other SIM card use network CAN support data and voice at the same time.
Not completely true. You need to be on 3G or better to have data and voice at the same time. Old 2G and EDGE data uses the voice frequencies, so you can't do both at the same time. This is relevant for Palm phones on T-Mobile USA, since they only get EDGE data.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 06/29/2012, 01:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Horray for H+!!!

Just got my Pre3 switched over from T-Mobile to Straight Talk, and for the first time I see something other than "E" for my data connection... in fact it's H+!!!

Interestingly the phone insisted that my APN setting was invalid, but I told it to "Setup Anyway" and it works fine.

Much thanks to those who provided the settings and confirmed that everything works... that knowledge made the switchover quite painless.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Congrats and welcome to the growing ST sub-community.
Old 11/19/2013, 03:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Straight Talk now allows you to bring your own CDMA phone to the table. I activated my Verizon Pre 2 with my existing number and I couldn't be happier. The unlimited data is throttled after 2.5 GB down to 1xRTT (2G) speeds until the next billing cycle but that is way more than I typically use. With freeTether I still have hotspot functionality as well. The only thing I lost is Skype. I cannot log into the account because the Skype service depends on a feature in Verizon's network. Skype voice calls are just 1x voice calls to the base station and become VOIP from there, as implemented on the Pre 2 with Verizon. I can still tether my TouchPad to the Pre 2 and Skype from there, so it is possible in a pinch.
cdmageek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apn settings, pre 2, straight talk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0