Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    What meta-doctor did you use? The 'stable' one on WebOS Internals states that none of those things work after meta-doctoring. Is it just a case of outdated documentation or did you use a different script?

-Jeremy
    Nevermind, I see you said 'test' now. I'm sure it's labeled test for a reason. I would feel a lot better about using it if it were categorized as stable. Rod is very explicit when he says that 'test' means you need to be ready and willing to wipe your phone at a moments notice. Not really willing to take that chance on something as important to me and my business as my smartphone.

If Rod or someone from WebOS Internals could confirm that the test meta-doctor really is stable at this point that would also make me a lot more comfortable using it.

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Nevermind, I see you said 'test' now. I'm sure it's labeled test for a reason. I would feel a lot better about using it if it were categorized as stable. Rod is very explicit when he says that 'test' means you need to be ready and willing to wipe your phone at a moments notice. Not really willing to take that chance on something as important to me and my business as my smartphone.

If Rod or someone from WebOS Internals could confirm that the test meta-doctor really is stable at this point that would also make me a lot more comfortable using it.

-Jeremy
    Well SOMEBODY has to try it and test it out before it can be labeled as "stable"

I figured the MetaDoctor was going to wipe out my phone anyway, so I had nothing to lose since I could just use the normal Doctor to go back to 2.0.1 if the new script didn't work out for me.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Well SOMEBODY has to try it and test it out before it can be labeled as "stable"

I figured the MetaDoctor was going to wipe out my phone anyway, so I had nothing to lose since I could just use the normal Doctor to go back to 2.0.1 if the new script didn't work out for me.
    Oh I agree with that. I'm just not in a position to take much risk with something I so heavily depend on for my job. If it was just a toy it'd be different. I have always avoided using anything marked 'test' and so far that has served me well, and that's exactly what Rod and the WebOS Internals team usually suggests if your phone is a crucial device for you. So that's what I do, I wait for stable. In this case I got excited reading your post and overlooked the 'test' part which is why I chimed in the way I did. Otherwise I would have just marked it as something to consider in the future if the 2.1 update from Verizon takes much longer.

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Oh I agree with that. I'm just not in a position to take much risk with something I so heavily depend on for my job. If it was just a toy it'd be different. I have always avoided using anything marked 'test' and so far that has served me well, and that's exactly what Rod and the WebOS Internals team usually suggests if your phone is a crucial device for you. So that's what I do, I wait for stable. In this case I got excited reading your post and overlooked the 'test' part which is why I chimed in the way I did. Otherwise I would have just marked it as something to consider in the future if the 2.1 update from Verizon takes much longer.
    I think your caution is well placed. Rod's words of warning are not to be trifled with! Hopefully the test script will graduate soon. I'm sure it will be deemed "stable" long before Verizon gets around to actually releasing 2.1!
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    One thing I don't understand (I'm sure Rod's explained it somewhere, but, hey, I have kids...nuff said) is why Cygwin support was dropped. I used this to meta-doctor my Pre+ to 2.1 without issue. Why the drop in support? I really have zero desire to monkey around with Linux setups, or have anything that messes with my HDD.

It would be really, really great if Verizon would just push the d**n thing out!
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    One thing I don't understand (I'm sure Rod's explained it somewhere, but, hey, I have kids...nuff said) is why Cygwin support was dropped. I used this to meta-doctor my Pre+ to 2.1 without issue. Why the drop in support? I really have zero desire to monkey around with Linux setups, or have anything that messes with my HDD.

It would be really, really great if Verizon would just push the d**n thing out!
    Cygwin (or Windows maybe) caused builds which put some phones into reboot loops. No-one ever worked out why, so support was dropped. I don't have the time to deal with non-deterministic systems.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

-Jeremy
    Since there is no Verizon in Australia, the only way that this script moves from test to production is via the success reports of testers in this thread and no unresolvable issues.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I have a Verizon Pre 2, and I want to report a 100% successful MetaDoctoring to webOS 2.1.0 using the test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script. Not only is 2.1.0 working perfectly, but all the carrier specific apps (Skype Mobile messaging/calling, Amazon MP3, and VZ Navigator), Flash, and Voice Dialing are also fully working. Well, I didn't pay the $10 to try VZ Navigator, but it loads up the splash screen without issue. I also didn't try buying a song on Amazon MP3, but the song previews and everything else is working.

The only hiccup I experienced was when I first tried to log into my Palm Profile that's been yanked around from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.1 to 2.0.1 and now finally back to 2.1. The first time I tried to log in a message came up saying I couldn't be logged into my profile and I should call Palm. However, upon trying it again, it worked fine.

I was very glad to discover that script because 2.0.1 has a number of little bugs (random lag, cards turning black in card view, CPU frequency not always scaling back to 300 MHz without a full reboot) that were driving me crazy, but I couldn't afford to lose Skype because my girlfriend is out of the country for a month. Now I have it all! So, from what I can tell, if you're up to the challenge of making your own MetaDoctor, there's no reason to hold off on using the test script to get the full functionality that will (someday) be included the official Verizon update anyway.
    Unless there are other testers who have reported problems with this script that I have missed, I'm going to rely upon this success report and move the script into production.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Cygwin (or Windows maybe) caused builds which put some phones into reboot loops. No-one ever worked out why, so support was dropped. I don't have the time to deal with non-deterministic systems.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the reply Rod. Figured there was probably some good reason for it. I may end up having to use the current methods if Verizon doesn't get off their rear ends.

Thanks for all the work you do.
    So, the documentation is accurate for the original meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script, but if enough people try the test script and find that it works for them, then Rod can probably upgrade the test script to "stable" and we can modify the wiki entry to reflect that.
    I have promoted the test script. Please update the wiki to match.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have promoted the test script. Please update the wiki to match.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Sure thing! I'm happy to be able to help out in some small way.
    Thanks for the reply Rod. Figured there was probably some good reason for it. I may end up having to use the current methods if Verizon doesn't get off their rear ends.

Thanks for all the work you do.
    It's really not hard to install Ubuntu in a VirtualBox set up and it doesn't require formating or partitioning your hard drive.

Even better, install Ubuntu on the hard drive and then run Windows in the VirtualBox VM. Ubuntu is way more stable and secure anyhow.

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    awsome...now where is a dummy step by step for verizon 2.1 for me :-D
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    awsome...now where is a dummy step by step for verizon 2.1 for me :-D
    Right here at the wiki article!
    It's really not hard to install Ubuntu in a VirtualBox set up and it doesn't require formating or partitioning your hard drive.

Even better, install Ubuntu on the hard drive and then run Windows in the VirtualBox VM. Ubuntu is way more stable and secure anyhow.

-Jeremy
    I'm probably going to have to try that.

As to Ubuntu over Windows...ain't happening. I'm an old DOS and OS/2 (still the best OS ever!) guy and I just can't stand Linux on the desktop, which also explains my aversion to Android which feels a lot like that. The feel of the OS, and way too much monkeying around the command line to do things that simple double clicks in Windows. Win 7 is the first time I happily plunked cash down for an MS OS. But too each his own.
    You're a DOS guy but you don't like the command line?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    I stopped at a Verizon store today and asked about 2.1 for Pre2. He looked it up and said 2.1 is available, but not yet approved. He said he doesn't see an approval date yet.
    What kind of doublespeak are they feeding you? It's available, but not approved? Evil substances like Aspartame got on the market that way, (not funny). you should make him give you more decent information than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Could HP be telling Verizon to hold off and do one update that will get people to 3.0 shortly after TouchPad launch?
    From VZW's history, they will likely release the 2.1 update less than a week before 3.0 comes out, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    You're a DOS guy but you don't like the command line?

Key word "DOS" not Unix. The command line commands are much more aptly named in DOS than Unix, and it's Linux child. But, having said that, I don't want to have to perform a bunch of command line commands to do simple c**p like install drivers. Linux is, has been, and will likely continue to be a mix and match of the 1000's of different computer nerds' versions of what should be used in different areas. Consistency, is king in computers and Linux has historically lacked that. I know it may stun some, but Windows 7 is actually good.

This whole lack of 2.1 update drives people to do what we have to do to get our devices up to snuff. Using Linux to do it, is far down at the bottom of my list of choice methods to get the update pushed through.
    This whole lack of 2.1 update drives people to do what we have to do to get our devices up to snuff. Using Linux to do it, is far down at the bottom of my list of choice methods to get the update pushed through.
    Feel free to develop a more productive method that uses DOS

-- Rod
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast