Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I called [VZW] today to find out about why my Pre2 grinds to a halt when any type of data is enabled. He said that "Well, WebOS 2.1 is set for any day now, and it looks like it will clear up a lot of bugs." We shall see, but it gave me enough to be patient. "Any day now" last time I called for an update to my PalmOS device was 2 weeks or less.
    Last edited by copasetic; 07/29/2011 at 05:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I thought Precentral had a post that said it needed 2.1 or higher and that some Pre 2 users running 2.1 had confirmed it.

It works on the Veer for sure, which is running WebOS 2.1.x

-Jeremy
    Call forwarding does, but not texts from what I understand. Texts haven't worked on my 2.1 Pre 2 anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I called today to find out about why my Pre2 grinds to a halt when any type of data is enabled. He said that "Well, WebOS 2.1 is set for any day now, and it looks like it will clear up a lot of bugs." We shall see, but it gave me enough to be patient. "Any day now" last time I called for an update to my PalmOS device was 2 weeks or less.
    Called who? I assume Verizon.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Called who? I assume Verizon.

ET
    Yes. Now edited correctly lol.
    I got a message this morning about the 2.1 update being available. I installed it but I already had 2.1 from metadoctor. The only different app I saw was a SIM Toolkit which is kind of weird for Verizon. I might do a dr to 2.0.1 and then see if it will find the update. Oh, and I have screenshots but it's kind of hard to upload on mobile.
    Just be careful. I have always assumed OTA updates do better on undoctored equipment. Guides and posts everywhere else would jibe with this...
    Still not available for me though as of this writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Just be careful. I have always assumed OTA updates do better on undoctored equipment. Guides and posts everywhere else would jibe with this...
    Still not available for me though as of this writing.
    No update available for me either...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I stopped at a Verizon store today and asked about 2.1 for Pre2. He looked it up and said 2.1 is available, but not yet approved. He said he doesn't see an approval date yet.
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    just skip 2.1 and give us 2.2 already. this blows.
    jackgopack4 likes this.
    I still don't see how some already "have" it, presumably without doctoring...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I remember when VZW took forever to release 1.4.5 for the Pre Plus. It took a possible twitter flood of the @VZWSupport just to get that release. Maybe, we need to do that again, just like last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjamc1982 View Post
    I remember when VZW took forever to release 1.4.5 for the Pre Plus. It took a possible twitter flood of the @VZWSupport just to get that release. Maybe, we need to do that again, just like last time.
    The only problem with that is there probably 1/3 the number of Pre2 users.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Pre 2, and I want to report a 100% successful MetaDoctoring to webOS 2.1.0 using the test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script. Not only is 2.1.0 working perfectly, but all the carrier specific apps (Skype Mobile messaging/calling, Amazon MP3, and VZ Navigator), Flash, and Voice Dialing are also fully working. Well, I didn't pay the $10 to try VZ Navigator, but it loads up the splash screen without issue. I also didn't try buying a song on Amazon MP3, but the song previews and everything else is working.

The only hiccup I experienced was when I first tried to log into my Palm Profile that's been yanked around from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.1 to 2.0.1 and now finally back to 2.1. The first time I tried to log in a message came up saying I couldn't be logged into my profile and I should call Palm. However, upon trying it again, it worked fine.

I was very glad to discover that script because 2.0.1 has a number of little bugs (random lag, cards turning black in card view, CPU frequency not always scaling back to 300 MHz without a full reboot) that were driving me crazy, but I couldn't afford to lose Skype because my girlfriend is out of the country for a month. Now I have it all! So, from what I can tell, if you're up to the challenge of making your own MetaDoctor, there's no reason to hold off on using the test script to get the full functionality that will (someday) be included the official Verizon update anyway.
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 08/03/2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Is the GPS working okay for you, or is it as wonky as ever?
    Can someone automate the Meta Doctor process? I've about given up on waiting for Verizon, but this looks one or two steps beyond my tech know-how.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Is the GPS working okay for you, or is it as wonky as ever?
    That's the one thing I haven't had a chance to test very much yet. I did just take it outside to see how it would work, though. I fired up Google Maps, and it found my approximate location pretty well, presumably by using Google Location Services, but a good lock didn't seem to be forthcoming. So, I fired up GPS Fix, pressed the Fix button, and it obtained a "very high" accuracy lock in about a second. I went back to Google Maps, and it was tracking me as accurately as I've ever seen. There was no "inaccuracy bubble" surrounding the blue dot, and it was tracking me closely enough that Google Maps was clearly registering my movement as I walked down the street.

So that was a successful test, but I have a lot of faith that there's still plenty of wonkyness to deal with under less ideal conditions. I'm not at all convinced that Verizon opened up their A-GPS servers to webOS devices, regardless of the OS version number, so I think a combination of the GPS Fix app and a clear view of the sky are needed to get a solid satellite lock. I certainly don't think it's as good as the Pre on Sprint, but at least the Pre 2 does seem to do a bit better than the Pre Plus did on 2.1, and it's definitely better than the Pre Plus was with 1.4.5.

I'll have to try it again when I drive somewhere and see how it goes.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Can someone automate the Meta Doctor process? I've about given up on waiting for Verizon, but this looks one or two steps beyond my tech know-how.
    It already IS automated. Rod and crew already did 99% of the hard work. All we have to do is download some stuff and run a script file that automatically does everything else. Really the tricky part is getting a suitable Linux setup going before all of that can be done. I installed Ubuntu in a Virtual Box as a virtual machine, but I won't say it was easy. I learned a lot, but I definitely had to do some Google-ing. There are some decent tutorials out there about how to do it. I think the recommended way on the WebOS Internals wiki is probably a lot easier and more straightforward than what I did. I just didn't want to mess around with putting a new partition on my main machine, so I used Virtual Box to put the virtual machine on an external drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    I have a Verizon Pre 2, and I want to report a 100% successful MetaDoctoring to webOS 2.1.0 using the test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script. Not only is 2.1.0 working perfectly, but all the carrier specific apps (Skype Mobile messaging/calling, Amazon MP3, and VZ Navigator), Flash, and Voice Dialing are also fully working. Well, I didn't pay the $10 to try VZ Navigator, but it loads up the splash screen without issue. I also didn't try buying a song on Amazon MP3, but the song previews and everything else is working.

The only hiccup I experienced was when I first tried to log into my Palm Profile that's been yanked around from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.1 to 2.0.1 and now finally back to 2.1. The first time I tried to log in a message came up saying I couldn't be logged into my profile and I should call Palm. However, upon trying it again, it worked fine.

I was very glad to discover that script because 2.0.1 has a number of little bugs (random lag, cards turning black in card view, CPU frequency not always scaling back to 300 MHz without a full reboot) that were driving me crazy, but I couldn't afford to lose Skype because my girlfriend is out of the country for a month. Now I have it all! So, from what I can tell, if you're up to the challenge of making your own MetaDoctor, there's no reason to hold off on using the test script to get the full functionality that will (someday) be included the official Verizon update anyway.
    What meta-doctor did you use? The 'stable' one on WebOS Internals states that none of those things work after meta-doctoring. Is it just a case of outdated documentation or did you use a different script?

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    What meta-doctor did you use? The 'stable' one on WebOS Internals states that none of those things work after meta-doctoring. Is it just a case of outdated documentation or did you use a different script?

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey
    I have a Verizon Pre 2, and I want to report a 100% successful MetaDoctoring to webOS 2.1.0 using the test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script.
    The test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 has none of the issues stated in the WebOS Internals wiki. When it comes out of the testing phase, then the documentation will be updated.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    The MetaDoctor is the same in all cases--it's just the script that changes. I did not use the "stable" one that is listed on the wiki. Instead, I used the test script I mentioned in the heading of my post. An enterprising Pre user was working on getting all the carrier apps into a proper MetaDoctor script, and he and Rod just needed people to test it before it could be considered as working without issues. When you download all the MetaDoctor stuff, it's in the scripts folder with all the rest, so you can follow the directions in the wiki right up to the point where you have to type "./scripts/<a bunch of stuff>". Instead of using ./scripts/meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 you have to use ./scripts/test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0

So, the documentation is accurate for the original meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script, but if enough people try the test script and find that it works for them, then Rod can probably upgrade the test script to "stable" and we can modify the wiki entry to reflect that.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast