Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Could HP be telling Verizon to hold off and do one update that will get people to 3.0 shortly after TouchPad launch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Could HP be telling Verizon to hold off and do one update that will get people to 3.0 shortly after TouchPad launch?
    No.

-- Rod
    mrkalel likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Call me a wimp, but I've always been afraid to doctor my phone to a newer version that hasn't been official released on the carrier. Whats the latest news on when VZW is updating their Pre2? As everyone here knows, 2.0 sucks.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    "IF" i was to guess, in April.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    of next year
    Just curiously, does anyone know if there's a reason the following ipks from the Pre 2 2.0.1 Doctor file couldn't be included in the script to put 2.1.0 on the Pre 2?

amazonservice_1.1-7_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.app.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-73_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.4_armv7.ipk
    skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk

Not that I really want VZNavigator, I was just wondering why the Verizon specific apps had been excluded. I would like to get the Amazon service back and Skype would be good too.
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    Just curiously, does anyone know if there's a reason the following ipks from the Pre 2 2.0.1 Doctor file couldn't be included in the script to put 2.1.0 on the Pre 2?

amazonservice_1.1-7_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.app.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-73_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.4_armv7.ipk
    skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk

Not that I really want VZNavigator, I was just wondering why the Verizon specific apps had been excluded. I would like to get the Amazon service back and Skype would be good too.
    Has anyone tested that they work?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No.

-- Rod
    so, those that have a Pre2 on Verizon will have to wait for 2.1, then 2.1.x, then 3.x? So it could be 18 months before this thing is compatible with the TouchPad or am I way off?
    so, those that have a Pre2 on Verizon will have to wait for 2.1, then 2.1.x, then 3.x? So it could be 18 months before this thing is compatible with the TouchPad or am I way off?
    Any information about any of that is pure speculation. We have no information from HP or Verizon about timeframes for any of that.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    It's clear VZ is not updating to 2.1 so I'm guessing they will go to 2.2 or 2.3 (whatever it actually is) when the Pre 3 comes out ...
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    It's clear VZ is not updating to 2.1 so I'm guessing they will go to 2.2 or 2.3 (whatever it actually is) when the Pre 3 comes out ...
    that's my thinking. at least I hope an update is in the future. time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Has anyone tested that they work?

-- Rod
    Well, I tried taking the ipk files and installing a couple of them with Preware. The results were mixed.

Amazon MP3 now shows up as an app, and it works to display the music. It'll show the current releases, top 100 albums, songs, etc., and let you search. What it won't do is play the music samples. I haven't tried purchasing a song to download, but if it won't play the music I suspect it won't download it either.

Skype showed up in my account list with the account I had in the Palm Profile before doctoring the phone, but said "This account type is not available on your device" if I selected it. Installing the Skype ipks and rebooting made no difference.

Those were the only ones I tried. I might dig through the Pre 2 Doctor for 2.0.1 and see if there's anything else that I might be able to do to get these working better (or at all).
    Nick
    Hi,

According to the Wiki page

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

You will not have the Verizon specific apps (Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator, Skype Mobile). Voice Dialing does not work.

However, I'm pretty certain the thread above said that voice dialing did work. Can someone please confirm whether or not I can expect to be able to use voice dialing with the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon once upgraded to 2.1 as this would be my primary reason for upgrading.

thanks!

BTW, in a completely unrelated area does anyone know of a way to use voice to text with the palm pre 2 (similar to what the Droid can do)? I would love to be able to send text messages with voice rather than typing them.

thanks!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulwarrior View Post
    Hi,

According to the Wiki page

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

You will not have the Verizon specific apps (Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator, Skype Mobile). Voice Dialing does not work.

However, I'm pretty certain the thread above said that voice dialing did work. Can someone please confirm whether or not I can expect to be able to use voice dialing with the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon once upgraded to 2.1 as this would be my primary reason for upgrading.

thanks!

BTW, in a completely unrelated area does anyone know of a way to use voice to text with the palm pre 2 (similar to what the Droid can do)? I would love to be able to send text messages with voice rather than typing them.

thanks!
    If you use the latest test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script the carrier apps are all installed and voice dialing works fine for me.

Unfortunately there is no way to do voice to text on the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    If you use the latest test-meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script the carrier apps are all installed and voice dialing works fine for me.

Unfortunately there is no way to do voice to text on the Pre 2.
    I see 'test' in the name of that file... Any idea when it might be considered more stable? I'm also very cautious of going the meta-doctor route but I'd really like to get 2.1 on my phone...

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I see 'test' in the name of that file... Any idea when it might be considered more stable? I'm also very cautious of going the meta-doctor route but I'd really like to get 2.1 on my phone...

-Jeremy
    The non-test one worked for me last week. I would have done the 'test' version, but I didn't see it (or didn't care to look), and I have no use for carrier apps anyways.

It's as 2.1-ey as it gets! It won't get any more authentic or any more stable until VZW releases the update in the coming months...
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    The non-test one worked for me last week. I would have done the 'test' version, but I didn't see it (or didn't care to look), and I have no use for carrier apps anyways.

It's as 2.1-ey as it gets! It won't get any more authentic or any more stable until VZW releases the update in the coming months...
    So voice dial, Amazon MP3, VZ Navigator all work via the non-test meta-doctor then? That's my biggest concern with going that route.
    No, the non-test one doesn't have carrier apps. Voice dial didn't work for me either. The test one sounds promising though.
    does sending sms from TP work with the current OS provided on the pre2? if not, will it ever?

thanks.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I have been looking for the meta doctor for the verizon. Can someone post the link for the meta-doctor for Verizon Pre 2?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    does sending sms from TP work with the current OS provided on the pre2? if not, will it ever?

thanks.
    needs webos 2.2 or higher, which pre 2 will get at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    needs webos 2.2 or higher, which pre 2 will get at some point
    I thought Precentral had a post that said it needed 2.1 or higher and that some Pre 2 users running 2.1 had confirmed it.

It works on the Veer for sure, which is running WebOS 2.1.x

-Jeremy
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast