Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    No carrier apps with this script. I manually installed any I needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Could you elaborate on how to do that? Thx
    Well...I'm on Sprint, so:

LINK
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    sorry if i sound like an *****, but is the webos-internals site reference, to do the 2.1 upgrade for VZW pre2 called "Verizon FrankenPre 2"? if so, why the franken?
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Did this include skype by any chance? That's the biggest thing stopping me upgrading right now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No Skype with this.
    And the script is called meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 ...
    Thanks all - [thanked the big guns...]

I have been delaying getting a Pre2 because of the reported issues, but I can see now that it might not be too bad if I can meta-doctor it.

I after all have meta-doctored both my pluses.

I do have one question... do I activate the pre2 before I meta-doctor it, or just MD it straight out of the box?

Thanks...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    The biggest reasons I can see to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 on the Pre2 are that all the patch development work seems to be happening in 2.1 (such as Tweaks) and having Flash in the browser. I'd was really liking my Pre+ running 2.1 and going to a Pre2 with 2.0 feels like a step back for the most part (except for the hardware). The only exception is Skype. Could that be made available in 2.1 somehow?
    Nick
    Call me a wimp, but I've always been afraid to doctor my phone to a newer version that hasn't been official released on the carrier. Whats the latest news on when VZW is updating their Pre2? As everyone here knows, 2.0 sucks.

ET
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Call me a wimp, but I've always been afraid to doctor my phone to a newer version that hasn't been official released on the carrier. Whats the latest news on when VZW is updating their Pre2? As everyone here knows, 2.0 sucks.

ET
    i've been so lucky with 2.0.1 on my VZ Pre2. I haven't yet run in to the issues that plague so many of you guys. I'm pretty content with my Pre2 at this point so I'm just hanging in there hoping to get the official update.

Like you, I'm very leery of the doctor. I've had some rough times doctoring phones in the past (a lot of failures and weird glitches). Since my Pre2 is working so well, i'm very very resistant to messing with it...
    I couldn't get WiFi Media Sync back on my Verizon Pre 2 until I went to 2.1. But I can sympathize with those who are leery of installing an update before the carrier makes it available.

Until it was mentioned here, I didn't notice the 'missing' Verizon apps. I haven't used Skype or VZ Navigator so i didn't miss them until it was mentioned and when I looked, sure enough, they weren't there. Oh well. I did notice that MHS wasn't installed but FreeTether seems to work fine and I don't think it's free anymore now that I have a Pre 2.

I only had my doctored Pre + running 2.1 for about a month before I lost it in a storm drain (first lost phone EVER - DAMN!) but it made such a difference on the phone, I had to go forward and put 2.1 on the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Thanks all - [thanked the big guns...]

I have been delaying getting a Pre2 because of the reported issues, but I can see now that it might not be too bad if I can meta-doctor it.

I after all have meta-doctored both my pluses.

I do have one question... do I activate the pre2 before I meta-doctor it, or just MD it straight out of the box?

Thanks...
    Guys, My Pre2 arrives tomorrow. I finally pulled the trigger for my work phone. It's good timing I think since my office is moving to Enterprise for Outlook vs Groupwise and MY update is scheduled for tomorrow!!! I got it for $69 and I'll save $16/mo due to some discounts for upgrading.

But I want to 2.1 MD my 2... Tell me if I should do it before or after activating?

Thanks

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I don't think it matters if you meta-doctor before you activate. Just try out version 2.0.1 first to see if you have any of the problems some people have or had. I did the meta-doctor on my Verizon Pre 2 and I went back to official version. No real reason might do the meta-doctor again this week.
    Thanks. I will see how it handles 2.0.1 for now. I'll post if I decide to upgrade that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    The only exception is Skype. Could that be made available in 2.1 somehow?
    I wonder if the steps mentioned in the following thread would work with a vzw pre 2 running 2.1:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...2-0-skype.html - basically: get the vzw 2.0.1 doctor, locate verizon.tar and install the skype ipk files from there. I'm still on 2.0.1 so can't try right now. I might if I get chance, but it won't be for a while.
    i'm still wondering if anyone else lost flash when going to 2.1. Maybe there's something wrong with how I built my doctor?
    I've had a devil of a time taking my Verizon Pre 2 from 2.0.1 to 2.1.0 using the Meta-Doctor and the meta-verizon-pre2-2.1.0 script, but it looks like the fault was mine. Just to save others the pain, here's what I found:

The doctor kept failing in the middle leaving the phone at the palm.com/ROM screen. It died at the point where it's loaded the ramdisk, saved/flushed the logs, cleaned up, and was just getting going with Trenchcoat. It would load the tokens and then just choke (output edited somewhat for brevity):

Code:
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "mke2fs -q -j -b4096 -m0 -L /boot /dev/mmcblk0p2 > /dev/null"

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "tune2fs -i 0 /dev/mmcblk0p2 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null"

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure 2> /dev/null"

INFO: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1243: sh

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Current LVM configuration, 0 volume groups:

INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Volume group store not found in existing configuration.
    <ERROR> Volume group store not found in existing configuration.

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Current configuration: 0 volume groups.

INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

WARNING: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
    This was followed by some Java error messages and "WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card".

I initially thought it might be because I'd edited the user options in the Meta-Doctor Makefile to install Preware and testing feeds, but rebuilding the script without that didn't help.

I'd also replaced the boot logo graphic so I tried again (third time's the charm, right?) with a completely fresh download of everything. And it worked. Looking at the output in the section right before failure I noticed this:

Code:
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> nvram section 'logo-boot' offset 24576 len 98721
    I'm guessing here, but I bet that because my logo was a different size than the original one that the offset and length for logo-boot were incorrect in memory and it couldn't mount the filesystems. Or something like that. It was a slightly smaller file than the webos-internals.tga, but different is different.

Moral of the story: don't change the boot logo graphic, even if you have something really cool to use.
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    i'm still wondering if anyone else lost flash when going to 2.1. Maybe there's something wrong with how I built my doctor?
    I haven't checked yet to see if I have Flash, but it did look like the files were there in the jar file the Meta-Doctor created. The preferences, however, were not enabled. Have you installed the patch for that?
    Nick
    Nah, the pre 2 already has flash working with 2.0.1. The problem is that it breaks when I update it to 2.1. Toggling the preferences on and off doesn't do anything.