Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    I cobbled together a meta-doctor based on the Verizon PrePlus 2.1 script.

Works great. Left the makefile the way it was and just modded the script (attached). Mine's got a Sprint radio board in it, but it should work just fine on a stock VZW Pre2.
    Ok, I got used this script on my Vzw Pre 2 and it looks pretty good. Access to the new app catalog (2.0.22300), no black boxes on pop emails, device and palm.com/palmprofile showing 2.1, Preware recognizing phone as a Pre2. Also, if you care about them, Exhibition and Voicedial are there.

Andidendel, there is a script with the same name as yours in the script directory of the meta-doctor. Did you modify that one or is it the same? I looked at it and it looked the same, but wasn't sure. In any case, I just copied yours to the script directory and used that. Thanks.
    Last edited by gapost; 05/01/2011 at 06:20 PM.
    I really thought my above post would have created a little bit of interest. In any case, I have had 2.1 on my Pre Plus and then got the Vzw Pre 2 and used 2.0.1 for a few days then put 2.1 on it yesterday.

I have looked at some of the reported bugs and it seems that 2.1 fixed some on my Pre 2:

Media Sync: I can copy an album to my usb, disconnect, open Music ReMix and see the newly loaded artist and play the music

Pictures: I can take a picture, view it, delete it, take another picture, and when I view it, it shows me the most recent picture.

Calender reminder: If I click on the Remind in 5 minutes, my calender reminder will pop up in five minutes.

Email: I can view my pop emails properly. With 2.0.1, the same emails were showing a black box. I can also click on an attachment, like a Word document, and it opens properly in Quickoffice.

SMS: I don't seem to get the delay on this phone, either with 2.0.1 or 2.1. I did get it on my Pre + with 2.1.

Dr: The 2.0.1 doctor will wipe your USB. The 2.1 doctor will not.

I don't know about some of the other bugs, but I have not had any restarts or locked apps. My Help app works and shows the Tips, Clips, etc. I'm willing to try out some of the other bugs, but I would urge people to consider putting the 2.1 on their phone using Andidendel's script. The only disadvantage I would see is that if Verzion came out with an update, you might have to Doctor, but 2.1 does such a good job of backing things up, it's pretty easy.

Forgot to say that you won't be able to get Skype with this, but I didn't use that anyhow in the Phone app.
    Last edited by gapost; 05/02/2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Skype update
    I'm interested, tired of carrying two devices (one for my calendar since the Google calendar doesn't work), and now missing all these promo codes, where are the steps you used?
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I'm interested, tired of carrying two devices (one for my calendar since the Google calendar doesn't work), and now missing all these promo codes, where are the steps you used?
    The procedure is the same as upgrading a Pre or Pre+ to 2.1, as described here:

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

However, you would use Andidendel's script and save it in the Script folder of the meta-doctor directory. I had to rename it by taking off the .txt and then also changing the permissions to allow it to be run as a script. I used Ubunta to do all this, as the above wiki describes. Flash was already downloaded with the script.
    About a week ago, I sent an email to Verizon Wireless asking when I would receive an update to my Palm Pre2 running 2.0.1... Here is there exact response... Talk about crappy Verizon support!

"Hello Vinnie,

Unfortunately, at this time I have no information on a release date for the Palm WebOS 2.1 update. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
    Eileen LaRosa
    Business & Government Customer Operations National Accounts Coordinator

For supervisory assistance please forward this email to NEWFDBSCMaintenanceSupervisors@VerizonWireless.com "
    That's better than most responses. At least they acknowledge that it exists.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I really thought my above post would have created a little bit of interest. In any case, I have had 2.1 on my Pre Plus and then got the Vzw Pre 2 and used 2.0.1 for a few days then put 2.1 on it yesterday.

I have looked at some of the reported bugs and it seems that 2.1 fixed some on my Pre 2:

Media Sync: I can copy an album to my usb, disconnect, open Music ReMix and see the newly loaded artist and play the music

Pictures: I can take a picture, view it, delete it, take another picture, and when I view it, it shows me the most recent picture.

Calender reminder: If I click on the Remind in 5 minutes, my calender reminder will pop up in five minutes.

Email: I can view my pop emails properly. With 2.0.1, the same emails were showing a black box. I can also click on an attachment, like a Word document, and it opens properly in Quickoffice.

SMS: I don't seem to get the delay on this phone, either with 2.0.1 or 2.1. I did get it on my Pre + with 2.1.

Dr: The 2.0.1 doctor will wipe your USB. The 2.1 doctor will not.

I don't know about some of the other bugs, but I have not had any restarts or locked apps. My Help app works and shows the Tips, Clips, etc. I'm willing to try out some of the other bugs, but I would urge people to consider putting the 2.1 on their phone using Andidendel's script. The only disadvantage I would see is that if Verzion came out with an update, you might have to Doctor, but 2.1 does such a good job of backing things up, it's pretty easy.

Forgot to say that you won't be able to get Skype with this, but I didn't use that anyhow in the Phone app.
    Thanks for the report. I installed it on my colleague's Pre2 as after 3 days, he was no longer able to get his email with 2.01, he got the spinning wheel of craziness. If this doesn't work, he will have to go back to the PrePlus and I'm sure when his contract is up, he will be saying goodbye to Palm/HP. He liked the Treo but the PrePlus just wasn't stable enough for a non-techie power user such as himself.
    My Pre 2's running like a champ so far, but maybe I'll go ahead and try this upgrade just in case it decides to go nuts on me later. lol
    i dunno if its been posted but is there a meta doctor script to get 2.1 on a verizon pre2? i checked the webos internals and cant seem to find it.. my verizon pre 2 on 2.0.1 seems very buggy... so i want to see if theres a difference.. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    i dunno if its been posted but is there a meta doctor script to get 2.1 on a verizon pre2? i checked the webos internals and cant seem to find it.. my verizon pre 2 on 2.0.1 seems very buggy... so i want to see if theres a difference.. thanks
    it is posted one page back in this very thread.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Can anybody confirm if flashing the 2.1 on a Verizon Pre2 solves the POP e-mail issue.
    Haven't had any black boxes, but after a few days it refuses to sync POP email and I get the sync icon of DOOM constantly - this is a comcast pop account.

I may be meta-doctoring tonight...
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    Can anybody confirm if flashing the 2.1 on a Verizon Pre2 solves the POP e-mail issue.
    Haven't had any black boxes, but after a few days it refuses to sync POP email and I get the sync icon of DOOM constantly - this is a comcast pop account.

I may be meta-doctoring tonight...
    If you look at post #61 above, you can see that I have NO black boxes in 2.1, like I did in 2.0.1.
    Well, I took the plunge and installed 2.1.0 on my VZW Pre 2. So far, so good! Looking forward to getting new app releases now. XD
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and installed 2.1.0 on my VZW Pre 2. So far, so good! Looking forward to getting new app releases now. XD
    Thanks for checking back in, the more of these posts I see the more likely I am to set aside some time and get it done!

Clarice
    Slight possible caveat: you may wish to avoid Sconix' otherwise amazing Advanced patches. I had repeated probs on my VZW Pre 2 running 2.1 with those installed. Without them, it's been more than a month of smooth sailing and no Doctor. {Jonathan}
    It's still running great for me. It tried using the Sconix patches, but for some reason, deleted them. I can't remember if I was having problems with them or not. One of the main things I notice, is that there is basically no delay with the text messaging. I keep seeing that people have that 2-5 second delay when sending, but I don't have that with 2.1. Also using the F104A kernel which is doing great too. Don't think I've had any reset or instability with this 2.1 upgrade.
    Well, maybe there was one hitch I ran into: Flash got b0rked somewhere along the way. I followed the directions to install it as an ipk or whatnot after noticing the problem, but flash elements just stay on the question mark thing and won't initiate when I tap on them.

Also, do I need to do the PLR thing or is that only for legacy devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Well, maybe there was one hitch I ran into: Flash got b0rked somewhere along the way. I followed the directions to install it as an ipk or whatnot after noticing the problem, but flash elements just stay on the question mark thing and won't initiate when I tap on them.

Also, do I need to do the PLR thing or is that only for legacy devices?
    Are you using a Vzw Pre 2? Did you use the script on the third page of this thread? When I used that script, flash was installed automatically on my phone. And if you are on Vzw, you update the PRL by *228, opt. 2

After reading some of your posts, I see you have vzw. Don't know what happened with flash. To be honest, I was pretty surprised that it installed automatically and works okay for me.
    I figure if I can't get it worked out, I could do some more doctoring to get things back in shape. But with luck it won't come to that. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Are you using a Vzw Pre 2? Did you use the script on the third page of this thread? When I used that script, flash was installed automatically on my phone. And if you are on Vzw, you update the PRL by *228, opt. 2

After reading some of your posts, I see you have vzw. Don't know what happened with flash. To be honest, I was pretty surprised that it installed automatically and works okay for me.
    Is there anyway to update the PRL manually if you're on a partner network and unable to get to a primary network for automated programming?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast